Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    But the show has already answered this. The Children of the Forest created the white walkers to defend against invading humans during mankind's early settlement of Westeros (when humans and the Children of the Forest were at war, and the Children of the Forest were being slaughtered).
    Very true. I was a little quick and clumsy with my words. We know the white walkers' origin story and I guess that they were created to fight invading humans provides their motivation now but, if that's it, we're still back in pretty familiar fantasy territory versus what's happened elsewhere in the Thrones universe. I don't think this is the ruse but part of me wouldn't mind if the whole story gets flipped like the original I Am Legend novel ---- you think the human is the good guy but it turns out he's the monster in the infected's new world/culture. We haven't unambiguously established the walkers are actually trying to get south of the Wall. Maybe they're just continuing to carry out their defensive duties against the humans that were amassing an army in their territory and then started bring dragons in.

I kid, I kid but "all the humans die" and the dead are the good guys wouldn't be out of character for GRRM. I think he'd do it just to stick it to all the fans who have made jokes about him not living long enough to finish the series...

I was having a discussion with a friend last night about GoT. We both said we would be happy with an ending where the White Walkers conquer Westeros. I wouldn't be thrilled that all of the characters I had invested time in died, but I would respect the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'll credit the NY Times review of last night's episode with this point, but what does a White Walker (ice) Dragon breathe out of its mouth? Still fire?
    Probably frost breath. So that your Nord character will do pretty well standing up to it, but your Dunmer, so useful against the fire breathing kind, is basically hosed.

Well, Vyserion (wife uses closed captioning... it said Vyserion) is still covered in dragon scales. Might that give him at least fire resistance?

I wonder how he'll fly. That wing was pretty messed up. The wights still kind of limp and shuffle if their legs are damaged. Flying requires a lot more strength and control. Hard to limp slowly in the air.

I want to know where the walker army got a mile of that giant chain. Do they just drag that with them everywhere they go? Seems like we would have noticed that before. I think I would have just had the Night King swim down there and get him.

I'm guessing ice breath too.

And what are the chances nobody thinks "we saw a zombie bear... we have to consider the possibility that we have a zombie dragon coming down the pipe"?

Does anyone else think the makeup/effects on the Night King and his court(?) have moved from really frightening/evil to more cartoonish/snarky?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I don't think they'll be many major death's in the finale. I think Arya/Sansa but an end to Littlefinger and that might be it.

Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Jamie/Cersei definitely live. No doubt about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Theon died, but what could happen to cause his death?

I think the meeting will go off without any real trap or attack. Everyone will claim they want to help, but I doubt that it actually happens.

I could be wrong though, because that would leave a lot of people to die in season 7.
    So what do you think is actually going to happen in the last episode? I doubt they're just going to make it a long council meeting with Cersei and no action.

As for Theon, he could die in an attempt saving his sister from Euron (an example of a storyline that's suffered in the shorter 7 episode format IMO).

For all the talk of bad writing, this episode had my favorite conversation in the whole series. Tormund and Sandor were epic!

I'm doubling down on "A Song of Ice and Fire" being the life story of Jon Snow and Danyeris Targaryen. Whether or not it is written by Sam Tarly, is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Does anyone else think the makeup/effects on the Night King and his court(?) have moved from really frightening/evil to more cartoonish/snarky?
    The Night King reminds me of Darth Maul before his vacation to the Bahamas.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Ugh -- I haaated this episode.

I don't understand why the characters think Cersei will be so interested in a live wight in the first place, I don't understand how the Arya and Sansa I know could possibly act like their on-screen counterparts, I don't understand how Jon could survive his swim, I don't understand how a message can get to fricking Dragonstone and back while the White Walkers twiddle their thumbs, I don't understand how wights who were so hard to kill earlier are now just paper dolls, aaand I thought the beyond-the-wall conversations were fan service compressed beyond the point where they could be interesting in any way.

Blech. The writing has had its ups and downs over the course of the show but I've always thought it's had way more ups than downs. This is the first episode in the entire series where I thought the writing was consistently just flat-out bad. Sorry for the rant .
    RE the Arya and Sansa bit:

I'm not understanding how you think it doesn't fit. It goes near perfectly with their characters and what each has been through.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Probably frost breath. So that your Nord character will do pretty well standing up to it, but your Dunmer, so useful against the fire breathing kind, is basically hosed.
    Fo Krah Diin!

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So what do you think is actually going to happen in the last episode? I doubt they're just going to make it a long council meeting with Cersei and no action.

As for Theon, he could die in an attempt saving his sister from Euron (an example of a storyline that's suffered in the shorter 7 episode format IMO).
    The night king still has to get by the wall...Could make up a nice chunk of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

I think this is mostly what it is going to be.

Starts with everyone traveling to Kings Landing. Jon and Dany do their thing. Tyrion still has to find out that a dragon died. I would still lie to my enemies about having three dragons FWIW. Everyone shows up at KL and they bicker. Jon gives his lecture. Everyone goes their separate ways. A little bit happens after that.

Meanwhile Arya and Sansa deal with Littlefinger and we get an update on whatever the Night King is up to.

Hopefully something else happens. Just a strong feeling this episode will be used for setting up Season 7.

Rewatched episodes 4,5,6 last night.

"Breaking the wheel" is also a strong theme.

There are nine great houses in Westeros:

Tully - who's left? Blackfish?
    Lannister - Jaime, Cersei (+1?)
    Arryn - now Littlefinger
    Tyrell - gone
    Baratheon - Gendry?
    Martell - gone
    Greyjoy - but a Theon, Yara and Euron away from extinction
    Targaryen - gone when Dany and Jon are
    Stark - Brandon, Arya, Sansa

Four of the nine great houses are gone, a couple with no real long term prospects.

I suspect breaking the wheel will be the end of all Houses but Targaryen and Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I think this is mostly what it is going to be.

Starts with everyone traveling to Kings Landing. Jon and Dany do their thing. Tyrion still has to find out that a dragon died. I would still lie to my enemies about having three dragons FWIW. Everyone shows up at KL and they bicker. Jon gives his lecture. Everyone goes their separate ways. A little bit happens after that.

Meanwhile Arya and Sansa deal with Littlefinger and we get an update on whatever the Night King is up to.

Hopefully something else happens. Just a strong feeling this episode will be used for setting up Season 7.
    I bet Jon tells the group that the walkers killed a dragon as a way to show how powerful an enemy they are, at which point Cercie and Jaime agree to join them in battle, but only as a way to put the dragons in harms way. They will see getting the dragons killed as the way to balance the field, at which point they will turn on Dany and Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I bet Jon tells the group that the walkers killed a dragon as a way to show how powerful an enemy they are, at which point Cercie and Jaime agree to join them in battle, but only as a way to put the dragons in harms way. They will see getting the dragons killed as the way to balance the field, at which point they will turn on Dany and Jon.
    Sibling pressure points between Arya/Sansa will resolve in a better way than the pressure between Jamie/Cersei. But not as, erm, "amicably" as the family tension between Jon and Dany.

Arryn - now Littlefinger
    Tyrell - gone
    Baratheon - Gendry?
    Martell - gone

Four of the nine great houses are gone, a couple with no real long term prospects.

I suspect breaking the wheel will be the end of all Houses but Targaryen and Stark.
    Tully - Blackfish is dead but Edmure is alive
    Lannister - Tyrion and potentially the Lanisport Lannisters but I can't remember if they are mentioned in the show
    Arryn - Robin
    Greyjoy - Aeron Greyjoy appears in the show, although I don't recall him being referred to by name

I quite enjoyed this article from The Ringer. They have the American world-record holder in the javelin break down the Night King's spear throw.

Arryn - now Littlefinger
    Tyrell - gone
    Baratheon - Gendry?
    Martell - gone

Robin Arryn. Although, he is a strange bird.

Edit: ahh got beat to it

Arryn - now Littlefinger
    Tyrell - gone
    Baratheon - Gendry?
    Martell - gone

Oberyn Martell told Cersei in Season 4 that he has eight daughters; only three were killed on the show.