Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible history in the making

If South Carolina manages to win the national championship, not only will it be the school's first basketball title, it would make history in another way, too.

The state of South Carolina currently holds the college football (Clemson) and College World Series (Coastal Carolina) championships. If South Carolina wins the basketball championship, it'll be the first time since 1975 that a single state has held all three championships.

Southern California won the College World Series and a share of the college football national championship in 1974, and UCLA won the basketball championship in 1975.

To find a year that didn't involve a split college football championship, you have to go back a couple more years to 1973. Southern California won the college football championship in 1972, then UCLA won the basketball championship in 1973. Southern California was already the defending CWS champion from 1972, and won it again in 1973.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    If South Carolina manages to win the national championship, not only will it be the school's first basketball title, it would make history in another way, too.

The state of South Carolina currently holds the college football (Clemson) and College World Series (Coastal Carolina) championships. If South Carolina wins the basketball championship, it'll be the first time since 1975 that a single state has held all three championships.

Southern California won the College World Series and a share of the college football national championship in 1974, and UCLA won the basketball championship in 1975.

To find a year that didn't involve a split college football championship, you have to go back a couple more years to 1973. Southern California won the college football championship in 1972, then UCLA won the basketball championship in 1973. Southern California was already the defending CWS champion from 1972, and won it again in 1973.
    USC Women are also still alive, although on UConn's side of the bracket.

USC, IIRC, won the college world series two or three years in a row recently. Did not know that Coastal won it this year.

South Carolina's two wins in Madison Square Garden this weekend are the first two wins in the Sweet 16 round or beyond in school history.

A couple of weeks ago, I argued that South Carolina's basketball history was among the worst of any P6 school -- specifically worse than Clemson.

After last weekend, I have to back off that -- with a Final Four trip, the Gamecocks finally surpass the Tigers (who topped out with an Elite Eight appearance in 1980).

PS OPK, I assume you are using USC to refer to South Carolina ... really confusing with Tom B. talking about Southern California in the quote you cite. To most of us, USC is Southern California (and Carolina refers to the Cheats).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    USC, IIRC, won the college world series two or three years in a row recently. Did not know that Coastal won it this year.
    Yes, South Carolina won the College World Series in 2010 and 2011. Beyond that, their only other NCAA championship is in women's indoor track (2002). They have three national titles in women's equestrian, but college equestrian championships are sponsored by a different body (the National Collegiate Equestrian Association, or NCEA) from the NCAA.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    South Carolina's two wins in Madison Square Garden this weekend are the first two wins in the Sweet 16 round or beyond in school history.

A couple of weeks ago, I argued that South Carolina's basketball history was among the worst of any P6 school -- specifically worse than Clemson.

After last weekend, I have to back off that -- with a Final Four trip, the Gamecocks finally surpass the Tigers (who topped out with an Elite Eight appearance in 1980).

PS OPK, I assume you are using USC to refer to South Carolina ... really confusing with Tom B. talking about Southern California in the quote you cite. To most of us, USC is Southern California (and Carolina refers to the Cheats).
    I missed your argument about USC vs Clemson. I'm not saying your wrong but Frank Maguire did win the ACC one year which Clemson has never done even though the the "regular season championship " was invented for them. Maguire made 3-4 sweet 16s and maybe won an NIT championship?? A bit before my time but a lot of it occurred when only the ACC champs got invited. I'm not sure how the NIT was regarded in comparison then either. I don't know that Clemson is clearly better but maybe an argument can be made. I don't think either school has much to hang their hat on but USC was a legit national contender for a short time. Clemson is still trying to win a game in Chapel Hill (I'm pulling hard for them.)

State of SC - sweep all 3 sports ?!?

Football - done. Clemson
    Baseball - done. Coastal Carolina
    Basketball ? USC. ?? 80 minutes from that happening

Has that ever happened? All 3 major sports in one state ... And such a small state too. Crazy. If it has I bet it was Texas or California or Florida.

Even if unc won it would be all three champions from the Carolinas though I don't want that. Go Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Football - done. Clemson

Has that ever happened? All 3 major sports in one state ... And such a small state too. Crazy. If it has I bet it was Texas or California or Florida.

Even if unc won it would be all three champions from the Carolinas though I don't want that. Go Ducks
    The three major sports (and defined "revenue" sports), are Football, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    The three major sports (and defined "revenue" sports), are Football, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball.
    well, looking good for the gamecocks right now...next weekend, perhaps not so much. we'll see.
    April 1

Ok, fine. My question still stands. Has anyone won the three major MENS sports from one state in the same year? Football check. Clemson. Baseball check Coastal Carolina. Basketball? USC ???

EDIT- I see someone else addressed this. I suspected if it had been done or close it was Texas or California. For a state the size of SC to do it would be phenomenal. Heck. Football and baseball (whether basketball happens or not) is already pretty astounding if you ask me. I mean NC as a state has a lot more population etc and when has NC won both football and basketball ? Or football and baseball .. Or basketball and baseball ? Tons of basketball champs but football and baseball Become limiting factors.

Well, their women are now going to the Final Four, so maybe it is possible for the 3 revenue sports, also. They were rank #1 at one point this season, as I recall. Assuming they beat Stanford to get to the Final Game, can they beat UConn?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Well, their women are now going to the Final Four, so maybe it is possible for the 3 revenue sports, also. They were rank #1 at one point this season, as I recall. Assuming they beat Stanford to get to the Final Game, can they beat UConn?
    the first game was pretty close.
    April 1

When did women's basketball become a revenue sport?

Mark Emmert, the president of the NCAA, said last spring that women's basketball LOSES $14 million a year:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/20/wom...s-mark-emmert/

Kristi Dosh did a widely distributed study in 2012 and the seven most successful women's basketball programs in the country were all losing money -- in the six or seven digit range.

Baseball isn't a revenue sport either.

There are two and only two revenue sports: men's basketball and football.

I know that the last TV contract before the current one between the ACC and E$PN actually had the ACC PAYING to get women's basketball games on the air. Not sure if that's still the case, but I guarantee that neither the ACC or any of its schools is making any significant TV money on women's basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    When did women's basketball become a revenue sport?

Mark Emmert, the president of the NCAA, said last spring that women's basketball LOSES $14 million a year:
    revenue != profit
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Football - done. Clemson

Has that ever happened? All 3 major sports in one state ..
    This is already being discussed in a thread on the 1st page:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...-in-the-making
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This is already being discussed in a thread on the 1st page:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...-in-the-making
    Anyway I didn't mean to get into a discussion of which sports are revenue generating.

Simply noting that the small state of SC has -
    Football champions . Clemson.
    Baseball champions. Coastal Carolina
    Men's basketball final four ..,? USC
    Women's basketball final four ,?,, USC

That's getting pretty phenomenal regardless how it finishes. And if it takes out the Tar Heels, well, go USC !!!

Definitely impressive. Wisconsin, South Carolina, and Oregon are all average sized states that have produced excellent football and basketball programs.

A buddy's a Clemson alum and he's stunned that Clemson can win a title in football, but can't recruit 8 studs for hoops. Would think they should be able to get them between CLT & ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    A buddy's a Clemson alum and he's stunned that Clemson can win a title in football, but can't recruit 8 studs for hoops.
    That would require the school and its fans to actually give a damn about basketball, rather than viewing it as a diversion to keep them occupied between football and spring football.

Well with UConn's loss and SC win in women's basketball, don't rule out the possibility of a 4 sport sweep!

Quote Originally Posted by dragoneye776 View Post
    Well with UConn's loss and SC win in women's basketball, don't rule out the possibility of a 4 sport sweep!
    >:|

grrr.
    April 1

Fine by me. Just think of how Rumplestilholes would tear themselves in half.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'