Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    You are making an excellent point here, one that I really never considered...defense. Most if not all One and done players are terrific offensive players and that is what most likely recruits them. It is probably difficult to get them into buying a defensive strategy and plan in one year since most of them are super offensive talents in high school and are not really defensive minded.

Thanks for pointing that out .
    Calipari has proven that you can bring in one-and-dones and still play defense. His teams are almost always terrific on that end. For whatever reason, we haven't found the right formula on that end of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    The final four will have teams that didn't land OAD players, that doesn't mean they didn't recruit them. In the case of the UNCheat, they have recruited a ton OAD players that they did't land. Plus they have multiple players that intended to be OAD (Hicks, Jackson) but that didn't progress well enough to go. I hope Ky and their team fill of OAD players wins.

As we bring in OAD players, I think we pretty much guarantee that we are going to have top 10 level teams. But to get these teams to the next level (say final 4 level), we need experienced players (like Grayson, Luke, Amile, Matt). It would help if we had healthy players and the right mix of guys. I do wonder if we need find a defense that works better for OAD.
    UO recruits the same players as 'Zona & UCLA. All three are recruiting Marvin Bagley hard. UNC, South Carolina, and Florida are all recruiting Zion Williamson. Lack of success isn't the same as lack of effort.

Sadly K's time is short. Absent an NBA draft eligibility change or demands from Duke leadership to avoid OADs, K's not changing that element of his recruiting strategy.

Not a fan of OADs, but probably just as productive to hope K plays a ten man rotation in his final seasons as to hope he actively avoids recruiting the best possible talent (subject to Duke admissions constraints).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I am also pretty sure uncle-heaters recruited Brandon Ingram.
    I have never heard aunts described this way. Your autocorrect typo is the best thing I've read in this thread.

Sorry, you all were prioritizing Duke players. Carry on.

I liked Tatum more than Matt Jones.

Being a four year guy doesn't automatically make a player more likable for me. If you're a stud and a senior, chances are they'll probably be pretty high on the list, but Jah may be my favorite Duke player since Battier. Idk why.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

This thread feels a little like deja vu all over again. Is it my imagination, or does someone start this discussion every spring? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Whenever I rank the best to play at Duke, I never seem to rank OADs. Kyrie may have been the most talented PG to play at Duke, but Hurley and Williams will always be my preference.
    Fair enough--although the very small number of games that Kyrie actually played at Duke might be a factor here. If he had played a whole season and, perhaps, won a national championship in the process, you might compare Kyrie more favorably to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Agree. The players don't owe me anything. Most, if not all, of them came, busted their asses, and contributed to the duke community, if even for a year.

Now if a player made it clear he had one foot out the door, caused trouble on campus, and failed all his classes, I'd have a very different opinion, and I'd guess he'd find his way off the court or team before the season was out. Fortunately that's never seemed to be an issue.
    I agree--I'm fine with players who are all in for Duke--academically and socially as well as athletically--while they are here, no matter how long that is.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    If you're an adult, you know that your feelings don't matter one bit when some kid leaves college for the pros.
    Of course--but that isn't really the point, is it? I don't think anyone is arguing that the players should care about, or be influenced by, our feelings. It's just a kind of academic off-season (sigh) debate about how people feel about one and done versus four year players--a way to pass the time until November.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Irving has been a one-time All-NBA 3rd Teamer. Hill was a four-time All-NBA 2nd Teamer and a one-time All-NBA 1st Teamer.

Irving may someday surpass Hill as the greatest Duke player in NBA. But he still has a long way to go. Right now, it is Hill and it isn't close.

I think people too quickly forget just how great a player Hill was.
    Recency bias--a vice of all debates about player greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And yet, I still miss Justise...
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I have more of a problem with transfers than OADs.

Transfers are usually for playing time. They knew what they were getting into went they decided to go to Duke. Duke knew what it was getting into when it recruited most of the OADs.

SoCal
    Did they, though? Granted, they knew they weren't guaranteed any playing time. But they were kids with big dreams and may well not have realized how hard it would be to crack the rotation at Duke. Granted, a transfer isn't likely to be one of your favorite Duke players (though I still have fond memories of Jamal Boykin, who was as animated and enthusiastic on the bench, and in his limited minutes, as just about anyone I can remember), but personally I don't like them any less because they chose to transfer.

Final 4

Not one team in the Final 4 has a One and Done Player , at least I do not think so .

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    Not one team in the Final 4 has a One and Done Player , at least I do not think so .
    How many different threads are you posting this same comment in?

Also, lots of OAD players define their draft status by a memorable tournament. I officially hope that Tony Bradley does not leap to "one and done" status, because that suggests that he had two great games in Phoenix.

Kotsar or Felder from SC could make that sort of leap.

Or, none could, and you would be correct. I just don't quite see what your takeaway point is, CD.