Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA and PB&J

NBA and PB&J

This story, on NBA player's obsession with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, is fascinating to me. Even has a nice Brandon Ingram bit at the end. I recommend that everyone takes ten minutes to read this fun piece.

I can't remember the last time I had a PB&J. Six months maybe? Thanks to the story, I'm craving one. I normally prefer peanut butter and banana sandwich. My question for my fellow DBR members is this: How do you like your PB&J?

For me? Toasted wheat bread, creamy peanut butter on both sides, strawberry jelly, and uncut. Occasionally a little Nutella to spice things up.

Who wouldn't have an obsession with the PB&J? I mean, honestly...it's perfect. The mix of sweetness with buttery saltiness. The ease of making it. Toasted vs non-toasted. Crusts on vs crusts off. Cut in triangles or in half or eaten uncut. So much variety. Do you go with generic Welch's concord grape? With a higher end grape jelly? Mix it up with blackberry jam or strawberry jam? Chunky vs smooth peanut butter?

Plus, its the only sandwich my 8 year old will consistently eat in her school lunch, so there's that.

Smooth peanut butter is an abomination against nature and should be outlawed.

Okay, perhaps that is a tad strong. Feeling cranky this morning. But still.

Lightly-toasted bread, chunky peanut butter (preferably one that you have to stir to mix the oils and the gunk), preserves. Often open-faced. Big and cold glass of 2% milk.

I never watch the NBA, so nothing to add there.

As a child, for essentially 6 straight years I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich every day for lunch. Smooth peanut butter, crusts on, diagonally cut (the only true way to cut a sandwich). Haven't had one since I was 12 or 13, and probably haven't had a more traditional PB&J in even longer.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    As a child, for essentially 6 straight years I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich every day for lunch. Smooth peanut butter, crusts on, diagonally cut (the only true way to cut a sandwich). Haven't had one since I was 12 or 13, and probably haven't had a more traditional PB&J in even longer.
    Absolutely agree.

Grape jelly and Nutella is the abomination...

Yes, I'm cranky too. Sitting at the DMV.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Smooth peanut butter is an abomination against nature and should be outlawed.

Okay, perhaps that is a tad strong. Feeling cranky this morning. But still.

Lightly-toasted bread, chunky peanut butter (preferably one that you have to stir to mix the oils and the gunk), preserves. Often open-faced. Big and cold glass of 2% milk.

I never watch the NBA, so nothing to add there.
    So's unc and we see how that's going.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

1. Crunchy spread thickly on one or both sides of untoasted bread.
    2. 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads.
    3. Grape, strawberry or raspberry jelly or jam. 100% fruit.
    4. Diet cherry coke or pepsi (it's a weakness)-might have a glass of 1% milk instead.
    5. Uncut

Variations:

1. Thickly sliced banana and generously drizzled honey instead of jelly/jam-this sandwich is NOT fried, nor is there any marshmallow or chocolate on it.

I have not conjured up any beer pairings w/PB&J. Yet.

Wow, suddenly hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Crunchy spread thickly on one or both sides of untoasted bread.
    2. 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads.
    3. Grape, strawberry or raspberry jelly or jam. 100% fruit.
    4. Diet cherry coke or pepsi (it's a weakness)-might have a glass of 1% milk instead.
    5. Uncut

Variations:

1. Thickly sliced banana and generously drizzled honey instead of jelly/jam-this sandwich is NOT fried, nor is there any marshmallow or chocolate on it.

I have not conjured up any beer pairings w/PB&J. Yet.

Wow, suddenly hungry.
    Chocolate stout. Just sayin'

Chocolate stout. Just sayin'
    I guess the Terrapin Liquid Bliss and/or the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus might work. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I guess the Terrapin Liquid Bliss and/or the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus might work. Hmm...
    With a PB&J, the key to the wine paring is to match the jelly (or honey or banana) because the peanut butter pairs with about everything. Probably want to avoid the heavy reds except with a rich, tart berry.

Some syrah's are essentially grape jam anyway, but I would avoid that as a pairing in most instances for the reason stated above.

Having said all of that, if there was one meal that was designed for cold cold milk, it's a PB&J.

With a PB&J, the key to the wine paring is to match the jelly (or honey or banana) because the peanut butter pairs with about everything. Probably want to avoid the heavy reds except with a rich, tart berry.

Some syrah's are essentially grape jam anyway, but I would avoid that as a pairing in most instances for the reason stated above.

Having said all of that, if there was one meal that was designed for cold cold milk, it's a PB&J.
    I'm shocked there's no wine thread, unless of course we're talking about attendees at the nose dome.

And, I guess, having several threads evolve into beer discussions is better than having them evolve into pre-season MPG or post-season transfer/leaving threads.

I'm assuming you don't count Oreos or other cookies as a meal?

Nice cold glass of chocolate milk with breakfast is fantastic. Is it lunch time yet...?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I'm assuming you don't count Oreos or other cookies as a meal?

Nice cold glass of chocolate milk with breakfast is fantastic. Is it lunch time yet...?
    Close enough?

beer_133026.jpg

My best efforts at "peanut butter and jelly" was one of my first words, and I ate it religiously throughout my childhood.

- Grape jelly
    - smooth peanut butter
    - spread the jelly on one side and peanut butter on the other, then merge
    - cut exactly in half vertically, so it is two mirror images
    - soft bread, not toasted or crunchy

My children now have to make due with sunbutter and jelly due to allergy concerns at their schools, but I am proud to have passed on my enthusiasm to them. They enjoy round sandwich thins cut in quarters.

This thread is slowly killing me, btw. In my quest to lose weight, I have forsaken bread, sugars, fats and alcohol for the last 60 days. (Almonds are my nut of choice during this period).

Lost 25 pounds, but would step over a host of wailing children right now for a PB&J. Tougher to give up, frankly, than beer and wine.

Forgot about Oreos and milk -- I'd be lying if I said that I have not considered that to be a full and complete meal in the past!

I gotta go with Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.

I usually have mine on toasted bread along with homemade peach marmalade or muscadine jelly that my wife and I make fresh with Georgia peaches and muscadines every summer.

If you ever ran the woods as a kid, searching for and eating wild muscadines, you know that unique, intense flavor. Well... let's just say that's some good jelly.

Snack time!

My husband calls PB&Js "P&Js". Drives me crazy! Where's the B?!?

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    My husband calls PB&Js "P&Js". Drives me crazy! Where's the B?!?
    Clara Peller can help you with that.

This thread is slowly killing me, btw. In my quest to lose weight, I have forsaken bread, sugars, fats and alcohol for the last 60 days. ...
    To live longer, or just to make it seem longer?

Congrats on the progress - maybe there's a celery stalk with some natural almond butter out there for you!