Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Likely scenario, IMO. No way Jackson stays for his senior year. That's just criminal.

Knox going to UNC is more likely than Jackson staying. But a) with the NCAA investigation and b) Knox being the next in-line to Tatum/Ingram/Winslow/Parker, I like the chances that he DOESN'T go to UNC. Holy moly. Look at that list!
    The only thing that has me hesitant about Knox is the timing of his decision, which will be in a few weeks. But, most seem to think he's going to Duke, so I'll trust them until it is proven otherwise.

But, yeah, I'm feeling better about Jackson leaving given Knox's quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Their "futility" is looking pretty attractive right about now, heading into their second straight final four. If JJ as a senior makes their team better, let's get him out of there.
    we've been through this before ... Roy loaded up with five-star talent before the scandal broke -- Hicks, Pinson, Jackson, Berry ... Meeks was a solid four-star who stayed four years. Last year's team was led by two more four-stars who stayed four years (Paige and Johnson).

But the five stars are leaving one by one and Roy is replacing them with three stars ... and an occasional four star.

He's gotten good production from some marginal recruits -- Maye for one, Kenny Williams before he was hurt, but the core of this UNC Final Four team are players recruited before the scandal.

Now, if UNC loses Jackson (as we all expect) and doesn't land Knox (I think he's a longshot for them), they're looking at a lineup built around Pinson, Bradley (and even he is coveted by the NBA), Felton, Kenny Williams .. and Luke Maye?

If that is a Final Four team, I'll withdraw the word futility.

Roy has been able to delay the decline by holding onto his top recruits far longer than they would stay anywhere else. But unless he can reverse his recruiting "futility" that decline is coming ...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    we've been through this before ... Roy loaded up with five-star talent before the scandal broke -- Hicks, Pinson, Jackson, Berry ... Meeks was a solid four-star who stayed four years. Last year's team was led by two more four-stars who stayed four years (Paige and Johnson).

But the five stars are leaving one by one and Roy is replacing them with three stars ... and an occasional four star.

He's gotten good production from some marginal recruits -- Maye for one, Kenny Williams before he was hurt, but the core of this UNC Final Four team are players recruited before the scandal.

Now, if UNC loses Jackson (as we all expect) and doesn't land Knox (I think he's a longshot for them), they're looking at a lineup built around Pinson, Bradley (and even he is coveted by the NBA), Felton, Kenny Williams .. and Luke Maye?

Roy has been able to delay the decline by holding onto his top recruits far longer than they would stay anywhere else. But unless he can reverse his recruiting "futility" that decline is coming ...
    You're missing Berry in your list above. But I agree - if they lose Jackson and don't get Knox, they are not a very likely threat for the Final Four. Even with two returning 4/5-star seniors and a 5-star sophomore.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Joel Berry?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Joel Berry?
    JB will be back, and along with Seventh Woods providing depth their backcourt made up of Berry, Williams, Felton and Woods will be very good. The difference is frontcourt depth, which they need badly for their style of play. Luke Maye will have to be a starter and will be faced with much tougher matchups from the get go; give the guy credit where credit is due, but thats a totally different role for him. And Bradley will have to play 30+ minutes without foul trouble and with high motor that his role will require. I assume thats what they are selling on the recruiting trail, but if UNc doesn't control the boards they aren't an elite team.

Jeff BorzelloVerified account @jeffborzello 47m47 minutes ago
    Notre Dame sophomore Matt Ryan has received his release to explore transfer options, per the school.

Somewhat surprising with Beachem graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Jeff BorzelloVerified account @jeffborzello 47m47 minutes ago
    Notre Dame sophomore Matt Ryan has received his release to explore transfer options, per the school.

Somewhat surprising with Beachem graduating.
    Notre Dame could be pretty thin next year. Farrell, Pflueger, Colson, and Geben isn't a bad starting core, and DJ Harvey should be good, but not a lot of bench

Too lazy to check and see if there was any mention of this: One of Baylor's guards is going to be a grad transfer next season. I'm sorry but I only caught the last of the announcement(channel surfing). I'm sure someone on this knowledgeable board will know his name. The only reason I'm even bringing this up is the possibility of losing both Grayson and Luke. GoDuke!

Xrm fsu

Why would he declare? Not projected to be drafted..

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Too lazy to check and see if there was any mention of this: One of Baylor's guards is going to be a grad transfer next season. I'm sorry but I only caught the last of the announcement(channel surfing). I'm sure someone on this knowledgeable board will know his name. The only reason I'm even bringing this up is the possibility of losing both Grayson and Luke. GoDuke!
    Got over my laziness:
    Al Freeman junior guard from Charlotte, NC is going the grad transfer route. His career is nothing to write home about but here are some of his stats:
    He played in 99 games his 3 years at Baylor averaging 8.6 ppg. 2.6 rpg. His three point shooting percentage was .373% and he shot FTs at .814%.
    As a Junior: 9.7ppg, 2.5rbg in 23.9 minutes per game.
    Of course these stats say nothing about his defense. Not so sure he's what Coach K would be looking at unless he's an elite defender. But it's worth mentioning any way.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Got over my laziness:
    Al Freeman junior guard from Charlotte, NC is going the grad transfer route. His career is nothing to write home about but here are some of his stats:
    He played in 99 games his 3 years at Baylor averaging 8.6 ppg. 2.6 rpg. His three point shooting percentage was .373% and he shot FTs at .814%.
    As a Junior: 9.7ppg, 2.5rbg in 23.9 minutes per game.
    Of course these stats say nothing about his defense. Not so sure he's what Coach K would be looking at unless he's an elite defender. But it's worth mentioning any way.

GoDuke!
    I'm confused about the grad transfer rules. Does Freeman have to go that route if he wants to play next year or could he stay and play at Baylor? It seems odd that a guy who played 24 MPG as a junior and would be slated to play as much or more next year with LeComte leaving would be looking to transfer out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I'm confused about the grad transfer rules. Does Freeman have to go that route if he wants to play next year or could he stay and play at Baylor? It seems odd that a guy who played 24 MPG as a junior and would be slated to play as much or more next year with LeComte leaving would be looking to transfer out.
    Sorry, my mistake. For some reason, I had LeComte as a Senior this year, not a Junior.

I think he could stay at Baylor but the school announced he's leaving the program and will be eligible to play wherever he lands. GoDuke!

Freeman missed the first eight weeks of his freshmen year and redshirted due to a broken wrist. So, he was at Baylor 4 years but only played 3 seasons.
    Last edited by jv001; 03-28-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: found more information.

As long as he has eligibility remaining, which he clearly does if he's planning to grad transfer, he could certainly stay and play in Waco. I'd guess he's looking for a program that will feature him more, or has a style more suitable to his strengths. These kids transfer for any number of reasons--this is why it baffles me when folks suggest there shouldn't be any penalty for student-athletes transferring if coaches can leave whenever they want. But that's for another thread.

Technically, Al Freeman (and any grad transfer looking for immediate eligibility) needs to enroll in a course of study at his/her new school that isn't offered at his/her current school (in this case, Baylor). Not terribly difficult, but that's the reg.

ETA: The Ivy League doesn't acknowledge the grad transfer rule, and I'm not knowledgeable enough on each of the smaller conference's policies to know if there are others. The P5 conferences all honor the grad transfer rule.
    Last edited by English; 03-29-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Exceptions.

No, the "grad transfer route" adds to a player's options, which include staying at Baylor as a grad student and fourth-year player. Or, he could play elsewhere without sitting out a season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No, the "grad transfer route" adds to a player's options, which include staying at Baylor as a grad student and fourth-year player. Or, he could play elsewhere without sitting out a season.
    Yep. One has to look no further than Duke for examples of this:

Andre Dawkins: graduated in 2013, came back as a grad student for the 2014 season
    Marshall Plumlee: graduated in 2015, came back as a grad student for the 2016 season
    Amile Jefferson: graduated in 2016, came back as a grad student for the 2017 season
    Sean Obi: graduates this spring, could have returned if he wanted to for next season

Melo Trimble to the NBA Draft, will hire an agent.

Edmond Sumner of Xavier is definitely entering the draft.

This is interesting because in mock drafts during the season, Sumner and Kennard appeared to be locked at the hip as late first rounders until Sumner tore his ACL a couple of months ago. He will not have recovered before the draft. His stock understandably has fallen and he isn't currently listed in draftexpress's 2017 mock draft. His medical exams with teams will be huge (like Harry's will be), but even if he checks out, he won't be a first rounder. Maybe a good, deep team that has time to wait for him to recover would take a chance here. My guess is he'll go in the second half of the second round.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Melo Trimble to the NBA Draft, will hire an agent.
    Just don't see him getting drafted!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Edmond Sumner

Ed Sumner is leaving my X-Men. I wish him well. He's a very intelligent kid (majoring in computer science), but I don't know how this is going to work out for him. He tore his ACL late in the year and he said he won't be ready until December or January. He argues that leaving now is better for him than coming back and playing the second semester next season. If he fully recovers, he has some upside (6'6" and athletic), but there are a lot of point guards in this draft that are above him. He represented the university well, and I do hope it works out for him!

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...raft/99734232/

*Edit*

Still waiting for Trevon Bluiett's decision. He had a great tournament, but he's not the most imposing athlete. I believe his game was often referred to as old man's game/YMCA game. Xavier's season could hinge on his decision.