DBR Boards Mobile
1 2 3 4 12
Thread: Thread For Only Tracking Early Entry & Transfers (Formerly ACC Roster Moves)
Wahoo2000 (Oct 2013) 
09:03 PM 03-22-2017 #21

Originally Posted by Edouble:
"Over a five-game stretch beginning with UVA’s 70-55 win at N.C. State on Feb. 25, Shayok logged a total of 54 minutes, as Guy and Jerome got starts in Bennett’s four-guard lineup.”

http://augustafreepress.com/shayok-r...tball-program/

Shayock may have seen the writing on the wall.
This was almost absolutely the answer. Some of our fans are kind of jumping to conclusions that Shayok's transfer means redshirt DeAndre Hunter must really be looking great.

More likely, Shayok saw Jerome and Guy moving ahead of him in the rotation, with Hall already solidly in front. Competition from Thompson as well (and Hunter joining the fray next year may be a minor factor). Just a little too much of a squeeze for his taste, I believe. I think anything short of MASSIVE offseason improvement probably would have left him as 7th/8th man and likely a role player. Probably wants to move to a system he feels he can be one of the top options for. He definitely has a knack for scoring, which we need, but his preferred shot is the contested long 2 - a shot I loathe. He's a good kid though, and if he did graduate in 3 years, a good student too. Best of luck to him (and Reuter, who could really flourish in a minor conference where he's not totally outmatched physically).    
Report Quote
duketaylor (Feb 2007) 
09:10 PM 03-22-2017 #22

Originally Posted by Wahoo2000:
This was almost absolutely the answer. Some of our fans are kind of jumping to conclusions that Shayok's transfer means redshirt DeAndre Hunter must really be looking great.

More likely, Shayok saw Jerome and Guy moving ahead of him in the rotation, with Hall already solidly in front. Competition from Thompson as well (and Hunter joining the fray next year may be a minor factor). Just a little too much of a squeeze for his taste, I believe. I think anything short of MASSIVE offseason improvement probably would have left him as 7th/8th man and likely a role player. Probably wants to move to a system he feels he can be one of the top options for. He definitely has a knack for scoring, which we need, but his preferred shot is the contested long 2 - a shot I loathe. He's a good kid though, and if he did graduate in 3 years, a good student too. Best of luck to him (and Reuter, who could really flourish in a minor conference where he's not totally outmatched physically).
Wahoo, how about Nichols declaring today? I'm in Richmond and follow UVA plenty-he's been a mess. Thoughts?    
Report Quote
gofurman (Dec 2007) 
10:02 PM 03-22-2017 #23

If Jackson leaves UNC then Kennedy Meeks and I. Hicks and Nate Britt all graduate... That leaves Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, Seventh Woods, Kenny Wjilliams, Tony Bradley, Luke Maye - did I miss anyone that is returning for them??    
Report Quote
Last edited by gofurman; 03-22-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Newton_14 (Feb 2008) 
10:11 PM 03-22-2017 #24

Originally Posted by gofurman:
If Jackson leaves UNC then Meeks and Hicks graduate... That leaves Berry, Britt, Pinson, seventh Woods
I thought Britt was a Sr too but may be misremembering that. Luke Maye is a Jr who will for sure be back. If Jackson stays another year then Ol Roy skates by yet one more season. If Jackson and Hicks, and heck Berry too had gone after last season like happens with every other college team on the planet, they would have sucked this year and next. We just aren't that fortunate it seems.

If the pattern and our luck continues, all of the cheat underclassmen will return and they will have a good team yet again which sucks.    
Report Quote
Last edited by Newton_14; 03-22-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I typed Meeks originally and meant Hicks...
Wahoo2000 (Oct 2013) 
10:13 PM 03-22-2017 #25

Originally Posted by duketaylor:
Wahoo, how about Nichols declaring today? I'm in Richmond and follow UVA plenty-he's been a mess. Thoughts?
Hard for me to even think of Nichols as a UVa guy - played 1 game, and let the team and program down in a huge way. Given that he's only played about 25 minutes of organized, competitive basketball in 2 years, and has had the off-the-court issues he's had, I can't see any way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks an NBA team would go anywhere near him.

That said, not sure transferring again was an option, and it seems he either was unwelcome or unable to take the steps necessary to rejoin the team. Hope he gets himself straightened out, and has a nice career overseas. Probably a best-case scenario for Austin.    
Report Quote
gofurman (Dec 2007) 
10:19 PM 03-22-2017 #26

If Jackson leaves UNC then Kennedy Meeks and I. Hicks and Nate Britt all graduate...

That leaves Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, Seventh Woods, Kenny Wjilliams, Tony Bradley, Luke Maye - did I miss anyone that is returning for them? And freshman coming in. I'll take that though Berry is a great PG and the other guys will improve. Go Justin go.
EDIT. Corrected w Britt graduating too    
Report Quote
Newton_14 (Feb 2008) 
10:25 PM 03-22-2017 #27

EDIT. Corrected w Britt graduating too
OK I was right then. Thanks for that.    
Report Quote
BD80 (Feb 2007) 
08:31 AM 03-23-2017 #28

Originally Posted by Olympic Fan:
And don't forget, the NBA guys are very interested in Bradley ... Chad Ford projects him going 15-20 in the first round if he declares.

If he declares THIS year.

Give him a year or two more of development under ol' roy, and he should be in the 25-30 range. Maybe even a second rounder    
Report Quote
luburch (Apr 2010) 
10:26 AM 03-23-2017 #29

Guys, should probably stick to focusing on who is putting their name in the draft or transferring in this thread. Already closed another one because it got off track    
Report Quote
English (Jul 2010) 
11:13 AM 03-23-2017 #30

Perhaps news of no news, but UVa's Kyle Guy has reaffirmed that he's happy in Whoville and won't transfer.    
Report Quote
JTH (Mar 2010) 
12:09 PM 03-23-2017 #31
Chase Jeter to transfer after spring semester
Tweeted today by Adam Rowe.    
Report Quote
arnie (Feb 2007) 
12:14 PM 03-23-2017 #32

Originally Posted by JTH:
Tweeted today by Adam Rowe.
Another casualty due to OAD influx.    
Report Quote
Wahoo2000 (Oct 2013) 
01:07 PM 03-23-2017 #33

Originally Posted by English:
Perhaps news of no news, but UVa's Kyle Guy has reaffirmed that he's happy in Whoville and won't transfer.
Rumor swirling today though that Darius Thompson may be looking into a grad transfer (he's a RS Jr that transfered to us from Tennessee).

Starting to look like Bennett's exit interviews with Shayok and Thompson basically let them know they've fallen behind Guy and Jerome. With Hall locked into one major perimeter role, those guys were going to be fighting for scrap minutes on wings.

We went from NO scholarships available for 2017 in November to maybe having 4 open later today - without one guy projected to be drafted. The transfer rate (across all of college bb) is just getting nuts.    
Report Quote
Olympic Fan (Feb 2007) 
01:21 PM 03-23-2017 #34

Will the moderators please, PLEASE break the debate about the UNC program out into a separate thread.

I started this thread because the last one that was set up to track guys leaving for the draft was hijacked by a philosophical debate about the merits of early entry.

The title of this thread was for "ONLY Tracking Early Entries and Transfers"

Now it's overrun by the debate over the UNC program. I'm not saying that doesn't have a place, but NOT in this thread!

Please leave us a place where we can keep track of the comings and goings on ACC rosters heading into next season.    
Report Quote
CDu (Feb 2007) 
02:13 PM 03-23-2017 #35

Originally Posted by Olympic Fan:
Will the moderators please, PLEASE break the debate about the UNC program out into a separate thread.

I started this thread because the last one that was set up to track guys leaving for the draft was hijacked by a philosophical debate about the merits of early entry.

The title of this thread was for "ONLY Tracking Early Entries and Transfers"

Now it's overrun by the debate over the UNC program. I'm not saying that doesn't have a place, but NOT in this thread!

Please leave us a place where we can keep track of the comings and goings on ACC rosters heading into next season.
My apologies for contributing to the threadjack. Ima stop that, at least in this thread.

Originally Posted by Wahoo2000:
Rumor swirling today though that Darius Thompson may be looking into a grad transfer (he's a RS Jr that transfered to us from Tennessee).

Starting to look like Bennett's exit interviews with Shayok and Thompson basically let them know they've fallen behind Guy and Jerome. With Hall locked into one major perimeter role, those guys were going to be fighting for scrap minutes on wings.

We went from NO scholarships available for 2017 in November to maybe having 4 open later today - without one guy projected to be drafted. The transfer rate (across all of college bb) is just getting nuts.
That would be quite the loss for UVa. It seems that even the UVa model (get lesser-rated recruits but keep them for four years) isn't a sure-fire path, as not everyone wants to be a reserve in their junior and senior seasons.

It is just really hard to keep players in a reserve role for multiple years in this day and age. Kids know that they have opportunities, and aren't afraid to transfer. I think some of it is that so many games are televised now that kids don't feel handcuffed to wait their turn at a big-time program. And with the one-and-done era diluting talent at the top, more next-tier programs are competitive, so it isn't like they lose opportunity for success by transferring.

It would be sad for UVa to lose both Shayok and Thompson. Hopefully the young guys are able to step up in their places.    
Report Quote
Troublemaker (Feb 2007) 
03:59 PM 03-23-2017 #36

Darius Thompson indeed will transfer like Shayok and Reuter

UVA may have over-recruited the perimeter like Duke over-recruited with bigs this year.

Starting Jerome and Guy next year IS the right move, though, for an offensively-challenged team.    
Report Quote
jhmoss1812 (Feb 2014) 
04:14 PM 03-23-2017 #37

Originally Posted by Troublemaker:
Darius Thompson indeed will transfer like Shayok and Reuter

UVA may have over-recruited the perimeter like Duke over-recruited with bigs this year.

Starting Jerome and Guy next year IS the right move, though, for an offensively-challenged team.
Definitely tough losses for us but I think both guys saw the writing on the wall. Their minutes were going to be limited as they were getting passed over by the younger guys. Plus, Hunter and Huff (both top 60 recruits) are coming off their redshirts. Shayok and Thompson were our 2 least efficient players on the offensive end so hopefully the new guys will bring more to the court. What makes sense for them is that they will both graduate this year so they will be eligible for grad transfers and won't have to sit out a year. Going into this year, we thought we would only have 1 open scholarship for 2017 (which we filled with Marco Anthony). With the dismissal of Nichols and the 3 transfers, we now have 4 open scholarships lol. I guess that could be a good thing for us.    
Report Quote
flyingdutchdevil (Jan 2009) 
04:29 PM 03-23-2017 #38

Originally Posted by jhmoss1812:
Definitely tough losses for us but I think both guys saw the writing on the wall. Their minutes were going to be limited as they were getting passed over by the younger guys. Plus, Hunter and Huff (both top 60 recruits) are coming off their redshirts. Shayok and Thompson were our 2 least efficient players on the offensive end so hopefully the new guys will bring more to the court. What makes sense for them is that they will both graduate this year so they will be eligible for grad transfers and won't have to sit out a year. Going into this year, we thought we would only have 1 open scholarship for 2017 (which we filled with Marco Anthony). With the dismissal of Nichols and the 3 transfers, we now have 4 open scholarships lol. I guess that could be a good thing for us.
UVa and Duke have a lot in common this year.    
Report Quote
rasputin (Feb 2007) 
04:38 PM 03-23-2017 #39

Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil:
UVa and Duke have a lot in common this year.
You mean, like, being REAL colleges?    
Report Quote
English (Jul 2010) 
04:46 PM 03-23-2017 #40

UWash sophomore forward Noah Dickerson transferring. Averaged 12.5PPG, 8.2RPG.

He was the #75 RSCI recruit in Class of 2015.    
Report Quote
Last edited by English; 03-23-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Fixed.
1 2 3 4 12

Up