Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    After Archie Miller takes the Indiana offer his dad circles back to discuss the possibility of Miller going to NC State

“Yeah, everyone thought NC State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John Miller told myDayton Daily News. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...-trust-issues/
    Quite the indictment of Ms. Yow.

After Archie Miller takes the Indiana offer his dad circles back to discuss the possibility of Miller going to NC State

“Yeah, everyone thought NC State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John Miller told myDayton Daily News. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

So perhaps making a public spectacle of Gott's ouster in-season wasn't the confidence-inspiring message to potential replacements that the NCSU administration and AD had hoped...sort of like we could all see coming a mile away?

Given her reputation, Yow is lucky to have gotten the coach she got. State obviously hopes not to be doing a coaching search for a long time, but worst case, Yow is in her mid-60s so likely will not be involved again.

With many coaches gathering at the final four, it should be a busy week for interviewing and likely hiring.

Don't know if this is the place to discuss, but on the radio today Seth Greenberg (who says 5 things that are garbage and one thing that isn't...its a fun party game, not so much on the radio/TV). But he did say if the Georgetown opening wasn't sure of Ewing (and I don't think they will be after all the chances he's had in the NBA and been passed up... maybe, maybe there is a reason.. I have NO knowledge), they should consider Johnny D. That would be awesome! The only conflict would be I've always had mixed feelings about Georgetown and now I'd have to change them. But that would be really cool if he could bring back, even to a lesser degree the rep of a classic powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Don't know if this is the place to discuss, but on the radio today Seth Greenberg (who says 5 things that are garbage and one thing that isn't...its a fun party game, not so much on the radio/TV). But he did say if the Georgetown opening wasn't sure of Ewing (and I don't think they will be after all the chances he's had in the NBA and been passed up... maybe, maybe there is a reason.. I have NO knowledge), they should consider Johnny D. That would be awesome! The only conflict would be I've always had mixed feelings about Georgetown and now I'd have to change them. But that would be really cool if he could bring back, even to a lesser degree the rep of a classic powerhouse.
    Thought Amaker was the Dukie under consideration at Georgetown along with Brey, Shaka and now Ewing. Haven't heard JD's name mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Thought Amaker was the Dukie under consideration at Georgetown along with Brey, Shaka and now Ewing. Haven't heard JD's name mentioned.
    JD and Amaker have been associated with the vacancy, as far as the Duke coaching tree is concerned. Folks on DBR have mentioned the Hurleys being reasonable candidates, but they haven't been mentioned either by the media or by Georgetown insiders that I've heard. Outside of our Duke community, Andy Enfield has been mentioned as a possible candidate, however.

I've also gotten credible information last night from someone close to the AD that the Hoyas talked to Tom Crean yesterday informally about the job, as well. That would be a mistake, IMO, but obviously I don't have a vote.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Basically, any decent coach with DC ties is in the mix, as they all should be. Georgetown is in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and plays in a big fancy arena. They should be able to sign a top 25ish recruiting class just hunting in their metro area.

How many of those coaches mentioned want to leave their current jobs? Texas gives a coach plenty of space to work on the program since they only really worry about football, so I don't see Shaka taking what would probably be a pay cut to leave. Brey has a major program rolling and has been there for a long time. Amaker, by everything we read here, is really comfortable at Harvard, although Georgetown would probably be a nice raise. Dawkins has only been at UCF for one season, so I'm not sure he's ready to pack up again, but of those four, he would seem like the most likely to take that job on the basis of it being a clear upgrade in prestige and salary.

I wouldn't hire Ewing if I was Georgetown. Did they not just learn their lesson about hiring legacy coaches?

I am surprised Capel isn't getting mentioned for the Georgetown job.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The Duke coaching tree already has a quota for smart schools (Duke, NW, Harvard, ND).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Allegedly there was mutual interest between Amaker and Cal, but neither side could make it work.

Tommy's wife has a very good gig at Harvard, so doubtful they move for any school that doesn't work for both of them. Georgetown could thread the needle.

Amaker? Georgetown? Safety school?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Staying within the state system, UNC-Wilmington hires C.B. McGrath, UNC assistant for the past 14 years.

McGrath is known as an effective recruiter and was the point man on recent Tar Heel stars Marcus Paige and Brice Johnson, and current starters Joel Berry, Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks.

Noodles out

Coach Neal is out at UNM. He didn't have much success and never connected with the community. This is a big surprise because the state is in a lot of financial trouble and didn't want to pay the buy out. The situation had become quite toxic. Coach Neal's son, Colin, transferred last year following alleged death threats.

I'm hoping they go with James Borrego. He's a local guy that is an assistant under popovich and was the interim HC in Orlando after they fired Vaughn. I'm guessing Borrego's time under popovich would make Texas a fertile ground for recruiting.

Some are speculating Crean.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Staying within the state system, UNC-Wilmington hires C.B. McGrath, UNC assistant for the past 14 years.
    As a native of New Hanover County I sure hope this works out better than the last UNC hire..

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    CB's KU/UNC pal Jerod Haase went to UAB before Stanford, but CB's timing seems a little odd. UNCW's not a terrible place to start, but why announce before the F4? Dubious the NCAA finally pulls the trigger on UNC, but...

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Coach Neal is out at UNM. He didn't have much success and never connected with the community. This is a big surprise because the state is in a lot of financial trouble and didn't want to pay the buy out. The situation had become quite toxic. Coach Neal's son, Colin, transferred last year following alleged death threats.

I'm hoping they go with James Borrego. He's a local guy that is an assistant under popovich and was the interim HC in Orlando after they fired Vaughn. I'm guessing Borrego's time under popovich would make Texas a fertile ground for recruiting.

Some are speculating Crean.
    Supposedly UNM is interested in Lorenzo Romar, Larry Shyatt and Joe Dooley (Florida Gulf Coast HC). It's reported that Mark Gottfried has contact the AD to let him know of his interest in the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    He gets a mention in this article by Pete Thamel on SI.com that castigates Georgetown

As bungled coaching search continues, Georgetown operates with no plan

Georgetown not only canned Thompson III way too late, losing out to N.C. State on a top candidate like Kevin Keatts. It did so with no real plan in place. ...

Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them. That could be Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Duke assistant Jeff Capel, USC’s Andy Enfield or South Carolina’s Frank Martin.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...hoyas-thompson

Never a good sign when your AD (or whoever is calling the shots for Georgetown) is said to have been outwitted by Debbie Yow

He gets a mention in this article by Pete Thamel on SI.com that castigates Georgetown

As bungled coaching search continues, Georgetown operates with no plan

Georgetown not only canned Thompson III way too late, losing out to N.C. State on a top candidate like Kevin Keatts. It did so with no real plan in place. ...

Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them. That could be Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Duke assistant Jeff Capel, USC’s Andy Enfield or South Carolina’s Frank Martin.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...hoyas-thompson

Never a good sign when your AD (or whoever is calling the shots for Georgetown) is said to have been outwitted by Debbie Yow
    A little sympathy for Lee Reed. It had to be a wrenching decision to axe John Thompson III with Big Jawn still at Georgetown.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Great news for Ewing who, it seems, has had a hard time getting a head coaching gig in the NBA. I hope it works out for him.

Howard