Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Athletics Scandal: Crowder Emerges

We can all go home now..

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...c-fraud-claims

suspicious timing...maybe I am just cynical..how many days before they report back on violations..

Whew. I was afraid that there was no more bait and switch left. Curious timing.

She looks like a younger Margaret Atwood, except without the literary success and integrity.

Says the woman who couldn't come into work after UNC basketball lost a game because she was so emotionally traumatized.

Says the woman who is shacking up with a former UNC basketball player.

LOL!

I'm sure SACCS would be interested to know that UNC now considers these classes completely legit.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    She looks like a younger Margaret Atwood, except without the literary success and integrity.
    Gosh, I was thinking Geddy Lee.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

So...?

What does this mean? Bad for UNC? Bad for the NCAA? Irrelevant? Someone with lawyer hack skills and deep knowledge of this whole mess please weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    What does this mean? Bad for UNC? Bad for the NCAA? Irrelevant? Someone with lawyer hack skills and deep knowledge of this whole mess please weigh in.
    Who knows.

Just keep in mind, that Debbie Crowder was actually indicted by the Chapel Hill DA for providing the phony classes (which essentially defrauded the state, which paid for many of those fake classes). Rather that prosecute Crowder and her boss (Julius Nyangoro), he deferred prosecution provided they cooperated with the Wainstein investigation.

During its audit by SCACs (the accrediting agency for Southern Colleges) UNC admitted the fake classes, but blamed them on Crowder and Nyangoro -- two "rouge" educators,

Wainstein carefully documented Crowder's many violations -- half the record are e-mails to her and from her, dealiong with the fake classes.

Crowder has always refused to cooperate with the NCAA ... until now, I guess.

Now she's apparently retracting what she told Wainstein's group ... does this violate her plea agreement with the Chapel Hill DA (a big UNC booster who was doing his best to stifle the scandal)?

As I said, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Who knows.

Just keep in mind, that Debbie Crowder was actually indicted by the Chapel Hill DA for providing the phony classes (which essentially defrauded the state, which paid for many of those fake classes). Rather that prosecute Crowder and her boss (Julius Nyangoro), he deferred prosecution provided they cooperated with the Wainstein investigation.

During its audit by SCACs (the accrediting agency for Southern Colleges) UNC admitted the fake classes, but blamed them on Crowder and Nyangoro -- two "rouge" educators,

Wainstein carefully documented Crowder's many violations -- half the record are e-mails to her and from her, dealiong with the fake classes.

Crowder has always refused to cooperate with the NCAA ... until now, I guess.

Now she's apparently retracting what she told Wainstein's group ... does this violate her plea agreement with the Chapel Hill DA (a big UNC booster who was doing his best to stifle the scandal)?

As I said, who knows?
    Sometimes it takes some time - like years- to actually remember the details. Turns out this was a rigorous class which was graded fairly by Nyangoro when he was in town. Finally the real story comes out. Althletes were not given preference to one of the most challenging courses at UNC. If she had just remembered this sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Gosh, I was thinking Geddy Lee.
    Howard Stern

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Another way to delay the process is my best guess.with the clock ticking.I believe the 13th is the date they had to answer.

Maybe at some point & stunts like this the NCAA gets very angry.She refuses to talk for years & now she emerges..Coincidence? I think not.

DISCLAIMER I have no lawyer hack skills or deep knowledge. 😉

How would this delay the process?

I admittedly have lost interest in this whole thing and have not been following the details, but I don't see where her making a/this statement at this point matters at all... especially since she is claiming all was done above board...

Not exactly a shocking revelation that will change the course.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Another way to delay the process is my best guess.with the clock ticking.I believe the 13th is the date they had to answer.

Maybe at some point & stunts like this the NCAA gets very angry.She refuses to talk for years & now she emerges..Coincidence? I think not.

That makes you the perfect poster around here.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

That's okay. Around here, a deep and abiding suspicion will do. For analysis and lawyer skills (but not hack!), we have the wonderful Swood, whose writings on the topic should be regular fare at ESPN. 😉

Isn't one of the counts against UNC that Crowder would not cooperate with the investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Isn't one of the counts against UNC that Crowder would not cooperate with the investigation?
    I believe that is correct. Then, she co-operated with Wainstein to avoid Orange County DA prosecution but refused/didn't have to co-operate w/NCAA because she was no longer a cheat employee. But, now saying she "lied" to Wainstein. Gosh, sounds/looks like more unc shenigans.

I saw where the lying Count was quoted this week or last week on TDD, I think, that the cheaters had their response ready and it'd be filed on time. LOL.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I believe that is correct. Then, she co-operated with Wainstein to avoid Orange County DA prosecution but refused/didn't have to co-operate w/NCAA because she was no longer a cheat employee. But, now saying she "lied" to Wainstein. Gosh, sounds/looks like more unc shenigans.

I saw where the lying Count was quoted this week or last week on TDD, I think, that the cheaters had their response ready and it'd be filed on time. LOL.
    If I had a hammer,
    I'd hammer in the morning;
    I'd hammer in the evening;
    all over the Heels . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

So this could possibly unfold during March Madness? That could be awesome. UNC goes out early and learns they won't be participating again for a few years. Could dreams come true?

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    So this could possibly unfold during March Madness? That could be awesome. UNC goes out early and learns they won't be participating again for a few years. Could dreams come true?
    Wishful thinking. Somehow, I think, it'll be deferred another 3-6 months by one party or the other and be a nice summer/fall discussion in 2017. And 2018.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Some More Qjuestions

Crowder says she was providing

“customized educational opportunities for students to solve problems created by the institutional bureaucracy.”

Huh. Did she have the background and authority to do that.

Moreover, I thought that at college athletes got first choice on classes. This is necessary so that they are not forced into classes whose meeting times conflict with practice. What problems with "institutional bureaucracy" were faced by UNC athletes.

SoCal