Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

beer/food matches

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Jalapenos sound great, except that the more usual problem we get is:
    onion flavor, sweet, or no flavor (plain ol' corn meal)?

The more important question is:
    Anyone have a good jalapeno hushpuppy recipe?

Devildeac: Any particular brew that goes well with fried catfish & hushpuppies? English bitters? Oatmeal stout?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    try a brown ale-Sweetwater Georgia Brown or Dogfishead Indian brown ale come readily to mind. An IPA would be fine, too. Suggestions, well, Sweetwater IPA or a Dogfishead 60 minute or 90 minute IPA would work nicely. The Bridgeport IPA may not have enough body and hops/bitterness to stand up to fried fish and onions(?) in the hushpuppies.

There is great barbecue all over the South . . . but for my money, the very best barbecue to be had is what is known as a "Brai" (a South African style BBQ). The primary dish is often a sausage (either beef or pork) known as Boerwors (Boer = Farmer and Worst = Sausage).

Traditional side dish would be Millipup (sp?) which is sort of like grits.

If anyone has south african friends tell them you want to experience a Brai, I promise you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I would give my left knut to get A&S's slaw recipe. Their barbecue is excellent, but I have copied and perfected after 10 years and make a pretty good imitation Q. But I can not make their slaw.
    This may sound silly, but have you tried asking them?

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    This may sound silly, but have you tried asking them?
    No. But if you ask them and they say yes, send the recipe my way.

I have a list of resturants that I have to go to when I'm back in Durham/CH - Flying Burritos, Pops, Sitar India Palace, and A&S.
    ~rthomas