Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Also has Harry at 27 to the Nets. Anywhere but the Nets please.
    Anywhere? The 76ers say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anywhere? The 76ers say hello.
    I'd prefer the 76ers over the Nets if I was forced to choose. The 76ers at least have exciting prospects. The Nets have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I'd prefer the 76ers over the Nets if I was forced to choose. The 76ers at least have exciting prospects. The Nets have nothing.
    I would run and hide from the dumpster fire that is the 76ers.

As luburch said, the 76ers show a lot, lot, lot more promise than the Nets at this point. Not really even close.

I still sorta can't believe that Giles could last into the mid-20s. I mean, IF he ever gets healthy, he's one of the freak athletes in the NBA, right? How many guys who gets drafted outside the lottery will have a real chance to be All-NBA someday? Giles absolutely does.

-Jason "I really, really hope Kennard is available when my Hawks pick... and that the team is smart enough to take him if he is there" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

At least the Nets have some exciting draft prospe...oh wait, no, they've traded their best draft rights away for much of the foreseeable future to land assets that are no longer with the team. And their roster is bare. But, certainly, the Nets being an absolute nightmare landing spot for a prospect and the 76ers being a dumpster fire of a franchise are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Count me among those that think being stranded on the Nets right now is appreciably worse than ending up with the '6ers.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I still sorta can't believe that Giles could last into the mid-20s.
    I have a totally unfounded hunch that Giles will be the Thon Maker of this draft aka a big drafted on potential who goes much higher than most mocks have him listed.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As luburch said, the 76ers show a lot, lot, lot more promise than the Nets at this point. Not really even close.

I still sorta can't believe that Giles could last into the mid-20s. I mean, IF he ever gets healthy, he's one of the freak athletes in the NBA, right? How many guys who gets drafted outside the lottery will have a real chance to be All-NBA someday? Giles absolutely does.

-Jason "I really, really hope Kennard is available when my Hawks pick... and that the team is smart enough to take him if he is there" Evans
    Not a lot, for sure, although currently Kawhi Leonard (15th pick) is among active all-NBA players drafted outside the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Not a lot, for sure, although currently Kawhi Leonard (15th pick) is among active all-NBA players drafted outside the lottery.
    Everyone knows the Spurs have an inhuman ability to find late draft talent.

Since drafting Timmy D #1 in 1997, the Spurs have picked higher than 26th **once** in 20 years.

Giles's draft stock is going to be completely dependent on how his medical exams go. That's been known since the start of the season. If he checks out as 100% healthy and in the combine drills can show the athleticism he had in high school (which he never showed at Duke), he could vault to a mid first-round pick. OTOH if there's any hesitancy at all that he's fully recovered, or that he hasn't regained his prior form by now, then he's going to take a nose dive. It's a tough position for him to be in, but understandable from the standpoint of the NBA GM's.

I really thought he should have entered without an agent just in case his physicals don't go well and he falls entirely out of the second round. Then he could come back and prove himself on the court. But I also get that having an agent advocating for him throughout this process is a necessity.

DeAndre Jordan, Kyle Lowry, and Draymond Green too. And Jimmy Butler and Isiah Thomas will likely join them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Giles's draft stock is going to be completely dependent on how his medical exams go. That's been known since the start of the season. If he checks out as 100% healthy and in the combine drills can show the athleticism he had in high school (which he never showed at Duke), he could vault to a mid first-round pick. OTOH if there's any hesitancy at all that he's fully recovered, or that he hasn't regained his prior form by now, then he's going to take a nose dive. It's a tough position for him to be in, but understandable from the standpoint of the NBA GM's.

I really thought he should have entered without an agent just in case his physicals don't go well and he falls entirely out of the second round. Then he could come back and prove himself on the court. But I also get that having an agent advocating for him throughout this process is a necessity.
    Good point about the agent advocating for him - Harry is going to need a good agent and really good doctors working for him, though I'm sure all of the teams will have their own medical teams checking him out. I believe I read somewhere upthread about Luke's agent, though I don't recall who it was. Is there any info on who Tatum and Harry signed with? This does not get much press but it is always an interesting indicator of how much influence Coach K (or any other college coach) has on the process vs. former AAU coaches, handlers, etc.

I think Harry's current ranking in mocks is just a placeholder, and is highly likely to fluctuate based on medical reports and/or his performance at the NBA combine. If everything with his health checks out, and he looks good in his workouts, I think it's quite probable that he goes in the back end of the lottery.

I'm sorry, but if I'm a GM with a lottery pick there is no way I'm gambling that pick on Harry Giles. With multiple knee procedures already, he screams I'm the second coming of Sam Bowie and Greg Odom all rolled into one.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm sorry, but if I'm a GM with a lottery pick there is no way I'm gambling that pick on Harry Giles. With multiple knee procedures already, he screams I'm the second coming of Sam Bowie and Greg Odom all rolled into one.
    Who?

And yet, Joel Embiid went top-3 even AFTER the cautionary tales of Sam Bowie and Greg Oden were well written.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The only GMs who should be worried about picking the next Sam Bowie or Greg Oden are those with the #1 or #2 pick, and then only if they pass over the next Michael Jordan or Kevin Durant. No one (or at least no one smart) would have criticized the GM who picked Sam Bowie or Greg Oden 15th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    The only GMs who should be worried about picking the next Sam Bowie or Greg Oden are those with the #1 or #2 pick, and then only if they pass over the next Michael Jordan or Kevin Durant. No one (or at least no one smart) would have criticized the GM who picked Sam Bowie or Greg Oden 15th overall.
    Correct. when you're picking 14th or 15th, the chance of getting a future all-NBA player is so low, that it's well worth the risk to swing for the fences. The difference between that level of player versus a slightly above replacement level player (which is on average what you would expect to get from a mid first round pick) is so dramatic, that most teams are absolutely willing to spend a pick like that on Harry Giles. I would be shocked to see him still on the board past pick #20.

Who?

And yet, Joel Embiid went top-3 even AFTER the cautionary tales of Sam Bowie and Greg Oden were well written.
    I wouldn't put much stock in that fact, as you can see above, the 76er's are called a dumpster fire for a very good reason.

I love our kids as much as the next guy, but you have to remember some on here were touting Okafor over Towns.

Since drafting Timmy D #1 in 1997, the Spurs have picked higher than 26th **once** in 20 years.
    Whenever they picked up the voodoo priestess that has been guiding the Spurs draft process, that set the tone.

I'm not sure she was even drafted: she was a foreign prospect who had been living in NOLA for a couple of hundred years

I'm just hoping the T-Wolves get a good enough pick for Tatum- and that they don't blow it and get us a fourth point guard.