Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/re...ba-draft-pick/

I doubt they would move up to take Fultz, because Ben Simmons is the point guard of the future in Philly, so maybe they would be moving up to grab Josh Jackson? Fultz wouldn't make much sense, but hey, it's the Sixers. Who knows what they would be giving up to move up . . . the third pick plus . . . ?? (Okafor and someone else?)

SI had a mock draft a few hours ago with the Sixers taking Lauri Markkanen, but that was at pick #3. There wouldn't be any need to move up to grab a guy that would no doubt be available at #3.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Only reason to move up is for Fultz. Fultz can play the 2 which they do need.
    Well, they could also move up for Ball. Fultz is still the most likely reason to move up from 3 to 1, but not the only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It could work with Simmons and Fultz together. Simmons could be their Lebron, and Fultz could be their Kyrie. (Obviously not comparing the quality of the players but, stylistically, how the tandem would work).

This seems like a mistake by Boston to pass on Fultz for Jackson, but we'll see in a few years how it works out.
    You are correct.

I tuned into Philly sports talk and they are pushing the same idea . . . shows what I know.

Simmons is 6'10 so he can play all over the floor.

This seems like a mistake by Boston to pass on Fultz for Jackson, but we'll see in a few years how it works out.
    I should've added that it won't be just straight up #1 for #3, of course.

At a minimum, I would expect Boston to receive this year's #3, next year's unprotected Lakers pick (that Philly owns), and then something else.

How high that Lakers pick ends up being next year will play a factor in how this trade is viewed.

I should've added that it won't be just straight up #1 for #3, of course.

At a minimum, I would expect Boston to receive this year's #3, next year's unprotected Lakers pick (that Philly owns), and then something else.

How high that Lakers pick ends up being next year will play a factor in how this trade is viewed.
    I hoped this would happen. Said it many times.

Take Tatum (although they'll probably take Jackson) and get a solid rotation player. I hope it's Okafor; if Stevens can't make Okafor into a mediocre defender, Okafor is a lost cause on D.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

GSW will 4-peat in 2020 by sweeping these young guns.

I think this is a great move by the Celtics, if it happens. Maybe Fultz will end up being the best player in the class, but that's not obvious now. The idea that he's head-and-shoulders above Ball, Fox, Jackson, and Tatum is just echochamber nonsense, which always seems to happen with the #1 pick. I think you can make a reasonable case that any of those five guys end up as the best player. So I don't see a real downside to getting something for the trade, then taking either Fox or Ball if they really want a guard to potentially replace Thomas down the line...

I'd love to see the Celtics deal the No. 1 pick.

But that's because I'm not a big fan of Fultz -- a spectacular loser in college. That scares me. Are you sure he's better than Jackson? Than Ball? Than Tatum?

Even at No. 3, Boston gets Fultz, Jackson or Ball. Or Tatum. Plus, whatever extra pick Philadelphia gives up to move up.

FWIW, I'm not sure Tatum is the best player available, but I'd be willing to bet a reasonable amount that he ends up being the top scoring rookie in the league next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think this is a great move by the Celtics, if it happens. Maybe Fultz will end up being the best player in the class, but that's not obvious now. The idea that he's head-and-shoulders above Ball, Fox, Jackson, and Tatum is just echochamber nonsense, which always seems to happen with the #1 pick. I think you can make a reasonable case that any of those five guys end up as the best player. So I don't see a real downside to getting something for the trade, then taking either Fox or Ball if they really want a guard to potentially replace Thomas down the line...
    I'm going to disagree and say that Fultz will be much better than whichever player Boston selects at #3.

Now, with that said, Ainge is known for winning trades. If, in addition to #3, Ainge gets Philly to give up the Lakers unprotected pick in 2018, the Kings unprotected pick in 2019, and another Philly first-rounder, he may still end up winning the trade.

But, the drop from Fultz to #3 is huge, imo. We'll see how it plays out.

If Boston moves the #1, shouldnt it be to get a proven all-NBA caliber player? That's likely a three-team trade.

Boston throws in Isaiah, the #1. Philly throws in #3, Okafor, next year's Lakers pick. Chicago throws in Jimmy Butler, the #16.

Celtics get Butler, Philly's Laker pick. Philly gets #1, #16. Chicago gets #3, Isaiah, Okafor.

Philly would have to really want Fultz. Boston and Chicago ought to be all over that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If Boston moves the #1, shouldnt it be to get a proven all-NBA caliber player? That's likely a three-team trade.

Boston throws in Isaiah, the #1. Philly throws in #3, Okafor, next year's Lakers pick. Chicago throws in Jimmy Butler, the #16.

Celtics get Butler, Philly's Laker pick. Philly gets #1, #16. Chicago gets #3, Isaiah, Okafor.

Philly would have to really want Fultz. Boston and Chicago ought to be all over that trade.

Celtics could have Avery Bradley, Gordon Hayward, Butler, Jaylen Brown, A Horford, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, Olynyk. Plus they'd have Brooklyn's first rounder next year (top 5 range?) and Philly's Lakers pick next year (8-10 range). That team beats the Cavs on paper.
    Last edited by superdave; 06-17-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'd love to see the Celtics deal the No. 1 pick.

But that's because I'm not a big fan of Fultz -- a spectacular loser in college. That scares me. Are you sure he's better than Jackson? Than Ball? Than Tatum?

Even at No. 3, Boston gets Fultz, Jackson or Ball. Or Tatum. Plus, whatever extra pick Philadelphia gives up to move up.

FWIW, I'm not sure Tatum is the best player available, but I'd be willing to bet a reasonable amount that he ends up being the top scoring rookie in the league next season.
    Paul George's Fresno State teams were putrid as well. 13-21 and 15-18. Now Paul George was picked 10th, rather than potentially 1st, but that's still an example of a team taking a guy in the lottery who's team record weren't what you'd like to see.

Also take into account that according to KenPom, Washington was the fifth-least experienced team in the entire nation this past season. Fultz also wasn't on the floor for every single loss -- he missed at least four games in conference play.

From Vice: "Washington didn't struggle because Fultz failed to produce. His numbers don't lie. His effective field-goal percentage on shots off the catch was 56.7 percent; off the bounce, his eFG was 50.9 percent, third among all high-major players. Fultz creates shots for others, too, ranking No. 20 in the nation in assist rate despite his teammates shooting just 28.6 percent from beyond the arc in Pac-12 play and finishing with a collective 49.4 eFG for the season, good for No. 225 in the nation."

The italicized portion is a very interesting stat to me.

This wouldn't be enough, imo, unless that Lakers pick wins the lotto next year (Philly's going to be good by 2021):

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @WojVerticalNBA 1h1 hour ago
    Discussions have centered on Sixers sending 2017 No. 3, 2018 Lakers pick, and possibly 2021 1st -- including complicated protections.

This wouldn't be enough, imo, unless that Lakers pick wins the lotto next year (Philly's going to be good by 2021):

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @WojVerticalNBA 1h1 hour ago
    Discussions have centered on Sixers sending 2017 No. 3, 2018 Lakers pick, and possibly 2021 1st -- including complicated protections.
    Lakers have won 21, 17, 26 games the last three years. They bottomed out two years ago and are on the up-swing, plus will add the #2 pick to the rotation. I'd say they win 25-30-ish games and are late lottery.

So the #3, next year's #10-ish, and a top 5 or so protected pick in 2021? Not enough. I would demand Okafor too.

Really, the Celtics either need to add Fultz to what they have, plus next year's Brooklyn lottery pick; or they need to combo some stuff and get a either Paul George or Jimmy Butler.

The question is whether they think they can overtake the Cavs in a year with Fultz or whether they need Butler/George to get there. Look at the Cavs: They traded Wiggins for Love for immediate gratification purposes and went to three Finals and won one Title. Worth it? Yes. But if you think Lebron bounces next summer, then you draft Fultz and sign a free agent either this summer (Hayward) or next (Butler/George). Hayward is likely but Butler/George might be looking to LA.

I would stand pat and package secondary assets and add 1-2 free agents. Unless you can turn the #1 into two top 6-7 picks this year ( think Tatum/Monk or Fox/Markannan) and those guys make you a Finals team, then you stand pat.

It's official. Celtics trade #1 pick for Philly's 3 this year, Lakers pick in 2018, and Kings pick in 2019. Don't understand why people think Fultz is head and shoulders above the other prospects. I'm like others on this thread a little leery of a kid who couldn't get his team to double digit wins.

Celtics get one additional pick, not two. The 76ers forums seem to be ecstatic and the Celtics forums seem to be dejected. But, it seems to me it somewhat depends on how good the Lakers are next season and how good the Kings are two seasons from now.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @WojVerticalNBA 17m17 minutes ago
    Clarification on deal: Besides its 2017 FRP, Philly sends '18 Lakers pick w/ protections. If it doesn't convey, 76ers send 2019 Kings pick.

Derek BodnerVerified account @DerekBodnerNBA 13m13 minutes ago
    Celtics will get Lakers pick if it falls between 2 and 5 in the 2018 draft, per league source. If not, the Celtics will get the Kings in '19

In any case, great job by Sam Hinkie to rebuild the 76ers even though he was fired before he could enjoy the fruits of his labor. This day wouldn't have been possible for the 76ers without Hinkie's hard work and patience.

The Process worked. Wow, if Embiid stays healthy (a big if), that is a nasty young Big 3 they have in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    It's official. Celtics trade #1 pick for Philly's 3 this year, Lakers pick in 2018, and Kings pick in 2019. Don't understand why people think Fultz is head and shoulders above the other prospects. I'm like others on this thread a little leery of a kid who couldn't get his team to double digit wins.
    I agree ... great deal for Celtics.

I'm not sold on Fultz ... I certainly don't think he's significantly better than Jackson, Ball or Tatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree ... great deal for Celtics.

I'm not sold on Fultz ... I certainly don't think he's significantly better than Jackson, Ball or Tatum.
    We will see. I agree that any of the 3 you listed could become better NBA players than Fultz. I think Jackson or Tatum would excel defensively in Stevens' system. I also think several more dominoes will fall before and during draft night for both teams.

Good deal for the Celtics to get an extra first round pick and save a bit of money and still be able to get Jackson or Tatum. Not sure why Celtics fans would be dejected about that. It would be unrealistic to get multiple extra 1sts for moving down just two spots.

We will see what the Celtics do now. They keep stockpiling draft picks, but so far those picks haven't panned out into anything for them. Will they finally make a big trade to bring in another star?