View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite players to advance on in our poll (multiple-choice)

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Antonio Lang

27 19.42%
  • Brian Zoubek

8 5.76%
  • Chris Carrawell

71 51.08%
  • Danny Ferry

80 57.55%
  • Fred Lind

17 12.23%
  • Greg Newton

2 1.44%
  • Jeff Capel

27 19.42%
  • Kevin Strickland

5 3.60%
  • Marty Pocius

19 13.67%
  • Phil Henderson

23 16.55%
  • Shane Battier

127 91.37%
  • Thomas Hill

67 48.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Player Poll #4 of 8 (multiple choice)

You should know the drill by now. You can vote for as many players as you like and the top 4 in this poll will move on to the Round of 32. See the stickied Ultimate Poll thread at the top of the board for more info.

--Jason "this is a tough round, some real studs in this grouping!!" Evans

A must vote for name...

...is the player who led Duke to their 1968 triple overtime victory over UNC when star Mike Lewis was in serious foul trouble & fouled out.

I am of the opinion that older players are at a disadvantage in this poll, but Fred Lind's single game performance is legendary!

Vote for FRED!
    Bob Green

Why no love for Kevin Strickland?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

First off because he dated my ex before I did and threatened to beat me up.

Secondly, because next to Shane there IS no favorite Duke player.

There can be only one.

Shane Battier.

Shane is great, but one could make a case that Danny Ferry is the single most important Duke player in the modern era. He was the top player in his high school class before we were typically in the running for such players and demonstrated that we could outrecruit Carolina--and everyone else to get a great player whose father also happened to run an NBA team. He was an important part in the '86 team and was player of the year by the time he graduated. And after 83 years in the NBA (more or less), he is now among our most influential alumnus in sports. And, from a great distance, he has always seemed like a standup guy.

I personally wouldn't make that case but would instead go for either Banks or Dawkins as most crucial recruit, but purely for 'favorite,' Ferry is in my top 3 or 4 overall (even ahead of Mr. Battier).

this early numbers make it pretty clear that Battier is the frontrunner

This is easily the toughest group so far. Carrawell and Battier might make my Final Four, I absolutely loved Thomas Hill, and how could I not include Ferry? I hate that I had to leave off Phil Henderson. How are you deciding on the player groupings, anyway?

The thing with Shane is not only did he bring us a title, not only did he win THREE national defensive players of the year (as a K guy, I do love my D!) and not only was he a shining example of intellect and experience, but he also stayed four years and REALLY developed, as a player, from year one to year four more than any player I can think of.

I love Shane Battier.

This is a shocker. 6.12% of voters aren't voting for Battier?

Vote for ...

Battier/Carrawell '07

Phil Henderson-

Kudos to The Phil for throwing down THE BEST DUNK in Duke history; over Zo Mourning and the Hoyas. That was an amazing move and I can still see him going up; it really looked like he got into an elevator, punched the fifth floor, and then went right up, kind of standing straight up.

Can anyone post that dunk here?

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    This is a shocker. 6.12% of voters aren't voting for Battier?
    I never vote for the favorite because I know everyone else is going to, and that extra vote may make the difference for a THill or a Brian Davis or a Robert Brickey or a Jim Spanarkel or a Tate Armstrong. Evans says the more people you vote for, the less each vote counts.

This doesn't mean I don't like Grant Hill.

Wait, I think I voted for Battier despite my above philosophy.

Yeah, Jason, the groups are really unbalanced.

PS -- what JonB said about Ferry. I have an artist's rendering of the history of Duke MBB in a matted frame that my grandfather bought me just before he died. Ferry's in the front of it. It doesn't include the I-just-jumped-on-the-bandwagon-in-2002 era, but it's got everybody back to Werber. Ferry was tremendously important at the time. I recall a media poll in the early-mid 90s where he was picked as one of the top 5 (the Big F) in all ACC MBB history, even over Laettner. It was like Ford, DT, Bias, Ferry, and some center I forget. At that time.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 10-15-2007 at 10:01 PM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

throaty's approach is one I had not thought of.

My thought was, if you can vote for up to 4 why not just have 4 votes. In other words I could vote for Ferry 4 times rather than dividing up my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    throaty's approach is one I had not thought of.

My thought was, if you can vote for up to 4 why not just have 4 votes. In other words I could vote for Ferry 4 times rather than dividing up my vote.
    The polling program does not work that way. Sorry. It would be kinda cool.

As for how the groups got decided, it was a random sort with a couple adjustments for a group or two that were waaay too loaded. Phil Henderson is a victim.

-Jason

Send me your upcoming groups. I think we need a check/balance system.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Phil Henderson-

.......THE BEST DUNK in Duke history....

dth.
    Absolutely - THE BEST.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

You know what, the center may have been Tree Rollins. Tim Duncan was still swimming in the Virgin Islands, after all.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Let me be an advocate for and put in a good word for Antonio Lang.

Dude was always smiling and worked his butt off. He provided me with a wonderful image that will last a lifetime. He was under the basket when Laettner hit the big shot in 1992 vs. Kentucky. As soon as the shot went in, he threw his fist down towards the court in celebration and fell to the floor. I just loved that reaction.

Same thing (lasting image) can of course be said for Thomas Hill after those shots. Those two, Hill and Lang, were my favorite non-megastars (Hurley, Laettner, GHill) on that team.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I never vote for the favorite because I know everyone else is going to, and that extra vote may make the difference for a THill or a Brian Davis or a Robert Brickey or a Jim Spanarkel or a Tate Armstrong. Evans says the more people you vote for, the less each vote counts.

This doesn't mean I don't like Grant Hill.

Wait, I think I voted for Battier despite my above philosophy.

Yeah, Jason, the groups are really unbalanced.

PS -- what JonB said about Ferry. I have an artist's rendering of the history of Duke MBB in a matted frame that my grandfather bought me just before he died. Ferry's in the front of it. It doesn't include the I-just-jumped-on-the-bandwagon-in-2002 era, but it's got everybody back to Werber. Ferry was tremendously important at the time. I recall a media poll in the early-mid 90s where he was picked as one of the top 5 (the Big F) in all ACC MBB history, even over Laettner. It was like Ford, DT, Bias, Ferry, and some center I forget. At that time.
    Given that Battier is the far and away leader, a vote for Battier isn't a vote against, e.g., Phil Henderson. But the current numebr 4 in the poll is Thomas Hill. Since you have to be in the top four, a vote for Thomas Hill at the moment really is close to a vote against Phil Henderson, unless you think, of course, that both can beat out one of Chris Carrawell or Danny Ferry...

My solution

Seems like I have kindred spirits here. I didn't vote for Grant Hill, even though he may be my favorite devil of all, so I could throw my weight behind Robert Brickey.

I immediately clicked on Phil Henderson and Thomas Hill, but just couldn't avoid a click for Battier.

Let me make my case for Henderson and hope to sway some youngsters-- he has shown, by far, the greatest improvement over 4 years of any Duke player I have seen in the last 20 years. He was the most unlikely guy to be a star, yet went from being a nice complementary player to team leader in a huge leap (lol) from Jr. to Sr. year.

Here are his stat lines over 4 years:

Phil Henderson

1987: FG 55.6% 3pt 69.2% FT 60.0% 7.3 ppg -- 8 games, 0 starts
    1988: FG 42.9% 3pt 26.8% FT 73.3% 5.9 ppg -- 34 games, 1 start
    1989: FG 52.5% 3pt 38.7% FT 76.4% 12.7 ppg -- 36 games, 36 starts
    1990: FG 47.3% 3pt 41.4% FT 83.6% 18.5 ppg -- 37 games, 37 starts

Undersized for the 2 at about 6-3, he fell victim to Rodney Monroe disease and never made the pros. He was an amazing, exciting player, and while I don't know how highly ranked he was as a recruit, if we were able to develop these McDonald's guys like we did Phil, it would really be something.

And the Mourning dunk was just about the best I've seen, although Grant's alley-oop against Kansas is right up there. The GT game was better overall, though, and was a big upset at the time.

Show the original hendo some love!