Maryland Madness

Did everyone see how Gary Williams made his entrance at Maryland Madness?

A couple of nerdy students dressed in Duke and North Carolina T-shirts were walking on the sidewalk when all of a sudden they ran into a crossing guard who scared the daylights out of them. His name was Bambale Osby. Holding a stop sign and wearing a reflector vest, Osby leaned into them and said BOOM. He made the students stop while Williams cruised by.

Osby's big, toothy grin filled the picture.

Then, in Comcast Center, Williams actually drove the Lamborghini - complete with a Terp decal on the back - onto the court. The crowd was going absolutely bananas, and so were his players.
    The video is on my site if you want to check it out, just scroll to the bottom of my post.
    Last edited by riverside6; 10-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Look at me! Look at me!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Did everyone see how Gary Williams made his entrance at Maryland Madness?

The video is on my site if you want to check it out, just scroll to the bottom of my post.
    So much for making it about the players. Pretty lame, way too much production for an entrance.

That and the Duke/UNC jab seemed a bit, um, classless. How about just celebrating your team and not taking shots elsewhere?

riverside - I didn't spend any time watching the entrance but I watched the brief action. I was struck by the size of the freshmen and the quickness of Bowie. Gist and Hayes stood out for their performances. I expect Gist and Vasquez to be their top players but Hayes should establish himself as a solid point/off guard for them as a soph. He is the best passer and shooter on the team, IMO.

gw67

gw, I fully expect Hayes and Vasquez to be a formidable backcourt combo. Depth should definitely be a big issue for the Terps, I'm wondering how much backcourt help they have after those two.

"Maryland Terrapins: Fear the Classroom"

I almost feel bad for Gary. His inferiority complex must give him massive ulcers.

Could there be a more opposite approach and style to Coach K than Gary Williams? Good heavens.

The Duke and N.C. State jab, the "Look at Me! Look at Me!" stunt with the Lamber-however you spell it.

And I can see why the picked out Duke to jab, but why N.C. State? Why not UNC or another ACC School? Just odd, and yes, classless on so many levels.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Could there be a more opposite approach and style to Coach K than Gary Williams? Good heavens.

The Duke and N.C. State jab, the "Look at Me! Look at Me!" stunt with the Lamber-however you spell it.

And I can see why the picked out Duke to jab, but why N.C. State? Why not UNC or another ACC School? Just odd, and yes, classless on so many levels.

-EarlJam
    Heels were in it too, I believe the three "nerds" were Duke, NC State, and UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Heels were in it too, I believe the three "nerds" were Duke, NC State, and UNC.
    So it's Tobacco Road envy. Figures. I suppose we should be flattered. Didn't Lefty have the same envy - saying he was going to drive around Tobacco Road with the ACC Championship trophy on his car hood? At least he had a sense of humor about it.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Maryland Terrapins: Fear the Classroom"
    That is very funny - and I hope to hear it coming from the Crazies loud and clear when we play UMD during the season . . .

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Gary driving onto the court in a Lamborghini?

I'm surprised he wasn't required to be using a designated driver !
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 10-15-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Was Gary Sober

when he did this, or back from one of his shore trips? This is lame.

Lamborghini

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EarlJam

Okay Earl, the Lamborghini I have to say is awesome. (Hard to believe Lamborgini first made tractors in Italy before they made awesome rides like that!) But who pays all that money for a YELLOW Lamborgini? Most of them are red and isn't that one of MD's colors? When I get one it will be black. (Come on Powerball!)

Seriously, the whole entrance was WAY over the top, gaudy, ostentacious, tacky, cheesey etc. It reminded me of the UNLV intro for their players durring the 1990-91 season with all the laser lights and smoke. For those who haven't seen a Wake Forest game in Winston they do something similar where the Deacon mascot rides a Harley in to loud blarring music. And the last time I swear to God they had two of those wind driven characters swaying back and forth. You know the ones you see at used car dealerships and resturant openings? All accompanied to Kornkraft 3000's Zombie Nation techno anthem.

The last Duke game I saw at Lawrence Joel was JJ's last game there. I swear to you, durring the singing of the national anthem a few students were actually screaming out, "f*** you JJ"! If any of their students had any guts and pride in their country, someone would have gotten busted in the mouth. Gary Williams has an inferiority complex, and so do a lot of MD fans. At Wake the entire university has one.

I might be mistaken but I think that was a Lamborghini Diablo, which is kind of ironic since Diablo is Spanish for Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    riverside - I didn't spend any time watching the entrance but I watched the brief action. I was struck by the size of the freshmen and the quickness of Bowie. Gist and Hayes stood out for their performances. I expect Gist and Vasquez to be their top players but Hayes should establish himself as a solid point/off guard for them as a soph. He is the best passer and shooter on the team, IMO.

gw67
    GW,

Bowie was impressive with his energy. I was surprised by how well Burney ran the floor. They don't replace the experience but I think that Bowie and Burney will cushion the loss of Strawberry and Ibekwe. Tucker has good ball skills but didn't shoot well. It was a no defense exhibition and the team Vasquez was on was behind the whole way but he just doesn't like to lose and he was able to sneak his team back when the novelty of the exhibition wore off for the other guys.

I think Hayes/Gist/Vasquez start. I think the other two positions are up for grabs although Milborne and Osby are the leading contenders. Dave Neal appeared to still be recovering from his surgery. The two practice players are probably the best practice players Maryland has ever had. I don't know what that means though.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/c...4069346.column

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Okay Earl, the Lamborghini I have to say is awesome. (Hard to believe Lamborgini first made tractors in Italy before they made awesome rides like that!) But who pays all that money for a YELLOW Lamborgini? Most of them are red and isn't that one of MD's colors? When I get one it will be black. (Come on Powerball!)
    In fairness, Maryland's colors are the red, white, yellow and black of their state flag.
    I will grant you that IMNSHO, yellow would be at least my third choice, but it is a school color.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 10-15-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Delete busted link

lambo

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post

Seriously, the whole entrance was WAY over the top, gaudy, ostentacious, tacky, cheesey etc. It reminded me of the UNLV intro for their players durring the 1990-91 season with all the laser lights and smoke. For those who haven't seen a Wake Forest game in Winston they do something similar where the Deacon mascot rides a Harley in to loud blarring music. And the last time I swear to God they had two of those wind driven characters swaying back and forth. You know the ones you see at used car dealerships and resturant openings? All accompanied to Kornkraft 3000's Zombie Nation techno anthem.

The last Duke game I saw at Lawrence Joel was JJ's last game there. I swear to you, durring the singing of the national anthem a few students were actually screaming out, "f*** you JJ"! If any of their students had any guts and pride in their country, someone would have gotten busted in the mouth. Gary Williams has an inferiority complex, and so do a lot of MD fans. At Wake the entire university has one.

I might be mistaken but I think that was a Lamborghini Diablo, which is kind of ironic since Diablo is Spanish for Devil.
    Actually, I always thought yellow was THE classic color for the lamborghini. I swear every poster/calendar/matchbox lambo I saw when I was a kid was yellow. Here's a somewhat recent article on how yellow is the cool color for your exotic sportscar these days.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2004/10/29...es/29YELL.html

And I think it was a Gallardo. The Diablo hasn't been made in a few years.

http://www.stefanopasini.it/images/L...20Gallardo.jpg

Oh and I think that intro was way over the top.

They had those mustard unis a few years back. That was special.

Tony Massenburg never looked so... mustard.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Late night with Roy

http://www.wral.com/sports/unc/image/1924963/

Apparently there is a theme with the ACC coaches in that "it's" about them.

Also, there is a picture of one of the Tar Heels with a bloody nose he received playing that night. I just had to giggle at that one as there wasn't a Dukie in site.

This video, along with the one of Roy dancing, are perfect arguments against having a midnight madness at Duke.