Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

K ponders holding Amile and Grayson out

A VERY interesting sequence in today's postgame -- Krzyzewski carried on an internal debate about whether or not he should hold Amile and Grayson out of games down the stretch of the regular
    season.

First, he confirmed that neither player has been able to practice because of foot/ankle injuries. He talked about how the injury is really impacting Grayson's level of play and he joked about Amile limping up and down the court. Then, on his own (not in response to as question), he said:

"I could do something a little bit different with my team, during the next week or so. I've got to get these guys healthy. We'll see -- a day and a half, two days -- what we can do. But we've put ourselves in the bigger picture here and I can't afford to lose any of these guys, now that we have them. I'm thinking out loud right now.

"I know if I was a pro coach I would not play them for a couple of weeks because we're in the playoffs. But I don't think I can do that. I've got to talk to these two guys and take a vote. I'll be like the vice president -- I can break the tie. But I'll only do it for the best interests of our country."

So what should he do -- hold Grayson and Amile out for the next two weeks and let them get healthy again -- at the almost certain cost of losing the ACC regular season title and a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament? Or keep going like he has for the last weeks and risk their health for postseason for regular season goals?

The PC is definitely worth watching. As always.

K seems much more rambly since he came back from surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    A VERY interesting sequence in today's postgame -- Krzyzewski carried on an internal debate about whether or not he should hold Amile and Grayson out of games down the stretch of the regular
    season.

First, he confirmed that neither player has been able to practice because of foot/ankle injuries. He talked about how the injury is really impacting Grayson's level of play and he joked about Amile limping up and down the court. Then, on his own (not in response to as question), he said:

"I could do something a little bit different with my team, during the next week or so. I've got to get these guys healthy. We'll see -- a day and a half, two days -- what we can do. But we've put ourselves in the bigger picture here and I can't afford to lose any of these guys, now that we have them. I'm thinking out loud right now.

"I know if I was a pro coach I would not play them for a couple of weeks because we're in the playoffs. But I don't think I can do that. I've got to talk to these two guys and take a vote. I'll be like the vice president -- I can break the tie. But I'll only do it for the best interests of our country."

So what should he do -- hold Grayson and Amile out for the next two weeks and let them get healthy again -- at the almost certain cost of losing the ACC regular season title and a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament? Or keep going like he has for the last weeks and risk their health for postseason for regular season goals?
    I'm betting you get some really amazing posts on this subject. I'll have to think about it for a while and then I'll get back with you on this one. Good thread though. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The PC is definitely worth watching. As always.

K seems much more rambly since he came back from surgery.
    Good Pain medicine, GoDuke!

is anyone over in that great med school working on cloning? disposable grayson would be as good a disposable razors...you get a fresh healthy one every game!
    April 1

Are K and Dean still tied with 13 ACC Tourney titles?

In an interview with Charlie Rose after the 2001 NC, K talked about the regular season being a rehearsal for March. To a direct question from CR, K answered he is playing for March every year. If K still holds to that philosophy, then he should rest AJ and GA so that the team is at full strength for the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    In an interview with Charlie Rose after the 2001 NC, K talked about the regular season being a rehearsal for March. To a direct question from CR, K answered he is playing for March every year. If K still holds to that philosophy, then he should rest AJ and GA so that the team is at full strength for the NCAAs.
    Yeah, but seeding counts too.

Ok, I'm ready to take a shot at this. Play Frank the rest of the regular season and use Matt, Luke and Jayson as the perimeter players. Go with Amile and one of Giles and Marques in the starting lineup. Amile seems to be doing pretty good playing hurt and I don't know if he can recover in 2 weeks. My money says; Coach K likes to win too much to sit both or even one. I believe he wants to win every game and not go the NBA route. GoDuke!

I'd recommend a middle ground. Coach K definitely needs to get Grayson and Amile healthy but I wouldn't sit them out for two full weeks. A solid path forward would be to sit them for a game or two followed by playing them less minutes for a game or two. This does not have to be a binary decision as there are middle ground options.
    Bob Green

I wonder if this is K's Jedi mind trick to get Frank, Harry and Marquis motivated to step it up a level. Minutes may be available if you show me you are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A solid path forward would be to sit them for a game or two followed by playing them less minutes for a game or two. This does not have to be a binary decision as there are middle ground options.
    This is generally Popovich's approach with the Spurs veterans every year.

Sit 'em as long as you can without losing cohesiveness. Seeding is less important than health. If we're winning a title we have to beat great teams anyway, whether we do it in the elite 8 or the sweet 16 doesn't matter.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Can't spork OF for bringing those comments into the limelight, but, ooooh, this will be interesting to watch. I would assume that both Grayson and Amile would vote to play. That's the athlete's (and a star's) nature..."put me in, Coach!"; then again, K is a great salesman. Maybe he convinces them to rest now, and think strongly about another ring.
    Maybe they say "Ok, we'll sit...but not in the Dean Dome...that bench isn't comfy".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This is generally Popovich's approach with the Spurs veterans every year.
    "DNP-Old"

Maybe we've been looking at recent games all wrong. When Coach K goes to his bench more in the first half than second half, it's not an issue of him being more restrictive later in the game. Instead it's about him being more inclusive early in the game than he would prefer, thereby giving his injured starters some rest.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wonder if this is K's Jedi mind trick to get Frank, Harry and Marquis motivated to step it up a level. Minutes may be available if you show me you are ready.
    Grayson & Amile could both use some rest, but also think K wants to lengthen his rotation to 7. Let Harry & Bolden fight it out for the last spot.

K thought they'd have to beat Wake via offense rather than defense today. Gives up too much on offense with Vrank relative to Harry or Bolden. Has roughly 4 weeks to sort out the last piece in the rotation.

Wake's a good team, but Duke will be playing better opponents from the second round onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'd recommend a middle ground. Coach K definitely needs to get Grayson and Amile healthy but I wouldn't sit them out for two full weeks. A solid path forward would be to sit them for a game or two followed by playing them less minutes for a game or two. This does not have to be a binary decision as there are middle ground options.
    It's a good point, but the risk is that "playing less minutes" may be the worst of both worlds. We have a tough 4 game stretch to close out the season... playing these two guys for only half their usual minutes or less could easily lead to losses.

I guess I would lean towards what K is doing now and just holding them out of practice. Injuries have really messed up this season, even still...

Sit Grayson and Amile.

Run Orange with a back line of Bolden, Giles and Tatum, alongside Jackson and Jones.

Luke?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Sit Grayson and Amile.

Run Orange with a back line of Bolden, Giles and Tatum, alongside Jackson and Jones.
    Are you also giving Luke a game off?

I think this would be a good thing for all parties involved. Jefferson and Allen get some rest, and Bolden and Marques get the chance to earn minutes moving forward. See if the pressure of being THE guys down low gets them to bring their A games and earn more rotation minutes moving forward.

Sure if we lose a couple games, we won't win the ACC Title (meaningless, thank you unbalanced schedule). But it will give Marques and Harry the chance to get more game minutes that they missed earlier in the season.

BUT we all know how much K hates to lose and how crazy Allen and Jefferson are. They are going to play.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams