Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Vermont a few years ago?
    Impressive - you are right of course: 196th ranked Vermont had same 1.38pt/poss against us. We won 91-90 with our 1.40 pt/poss. Smoked 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Nice team effort in this win (6 guys in double figures), but holy cow we really made a ton of mistakes defensively. We also had no answer for Collins 1 on 1 down low. Amile did by far the best of our bigs on him, but he had his way with anyone who tried to guard him. I dunno why we didn't try to make an adjustment when they kept getting our guards to switch onto him, but we've gotta communicate better in the future to avoid those kinds of mismatches against elite interior scorers. No question Collins was the reason Harry and Marques played a combined 3 seconds in the 2nd half.

That missed box out on the free throw by Harry that lead to a Wake offensive rebound and 3 really kind of hammered home for me why Harry and Marques aren't playing more. Both of them are demonstrably uber-talented, but they aren't quite as locked into those minute details that can win or lose a game down the stretch, and neither of them have learned how to play defense without fouling yet.
    I had the exact same thoughts. Watching Harry and Bolden closeup and playing several minutes each, it's obvious to me neither player is ready. Kind of doubt will see either make a huge contribution this year, but at least they're protection if Amile fouls out. I think K will play 6 + a few minutes of relief for Amile rest of the way. It's what it is.

Here's one I recall

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    This is one of few games that I can recall us winning when the other team had a player just "go nuts" on us.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/t...329-photo.html

Coach K: "Best performance ever by an opposing player in Durham" Of course that was 30 years ago but I'll bet it stands the test of time.

What was going on defensively today? Someone suggested Duke was playing Collins straight up and forcing the rest of Wake to win the game. Also, Duke was guarding the 3pt line.

Duke guarded the PNR ok at times. I love Bolden's hedging. I thought the 1-2-2 helped control the pace. I think the issue was Duke just didnt want it bad enough on D, until late. Couple that with a few bailout foul calls by the refs and Duke was lucky to escape.

These games happen, and it's great to learn a new way to win, but I would love to see our guys exert their will on lesser teams. May not be in the cards for this year.

Super "Just Win, Baby!" Dave
    I don't want to play Wake in the ACCT. We just don't match up very well with the Deacs. I know we won both games in the regular season, but we could have easily lost both games. The defense we ran today gave up too many easy baskets to Collins and they missed some open 3 pointers. They hit most of their free throws and there were a lot of them. They got the "and one" several times, where we got the basket and "play on". GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 02-18-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: didn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    This is one of few games that I can recall us winning when the other team had a player just "go nuts" on us.
    FWIW, we won the Bootsy game. I haven't checked, but I think we actually win most of the games when some opponent goes off for a career high.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Duke will jump Wisconsin and West Virginia. KU managed to come back from a 14 point deficit with about 2minutes left to go on and win in OT. Some "fans" saw the parking lots & traffic instead of the end of the game.
    WVU down 2 with 1:29 to go against Texas Tech - At home.

Even if they pull it out, I agree they move down after losing to Kansas also earlier in the week.

ETA: This is in overtime. WVU with ball, down one. 34 seconds on clock, 22 seconds on the shot clock

Will always wonder where this team would be if Harry and Bolden had been healthy all season. Didn't see either in high school, but both have shown flashes. Sadly neither plays good defense and both foul too much. Team would have a much higher ceiling if even one of them were up to speed.

Doubt that Harry returns, but hopeful Bolden does. K does play a short rotation and he can get the production he needs from other players (Amile, Tatum), so both get quick hooks. Understand Harry's draft dilemma, but neither are ready for the NBA yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    FWIW, we won the Bootsy game. I haven't checked, but I think we actually win most of the games when some opponent goes off for a career high.
    Nervous Pervis say hi

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    WVU down 2 with 1:29 to go against Texas Tech - At home.

Even if they pull it out, I agree they move down after losing to Kansas also earlier in the week.

ETA: This is in overtime. WVU with ball, down one. 34 seconds on clock, 22 seconds on the shot clock
    Double overtime now

Quote Originally Posted by MB in MD View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/t...329-photo.html

Coach K: "Best performance ever by an opposing player in Durham" Of course that was 30 years ago but I'll bet it stands the test of time.
    Len Bias also stands the test of time. My favorite college player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Will always wonder where this team would be if Harry and Bolden had been healthy all season. Didn't see either in high school, but both have shown flashes. Sadly neither plays good defense and both foul too much. Team would have a much higher ceiling if even one of them were up to speed.

Doubt that Harry returns, but hopeful Bolden does. K does play a short rotation and he can get the production he needs from other players (Amile, Tatum), so both get quick hooks. Understand Harry's draft dilemma, but neither are ready for the NBA yet.
    Duke's defense isn't easy to play and when you're a freshman that misses a lot of time due to injury, it's really hard to catch up. Both Marques and Harry seem to be a step behind where they should be. Some of it is having to think rather than react. Amile, Grayson, Luke and especially Matt have practiced it and even better have played it against some very good college players. Bolden and Harry have played it against high school players. We need to remember Harry missed almost 2 high school years. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both help us win a game before the seasons done. GoDuke!

What is the"PNR"?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Nervous Pervis say hi
    Is he related to NEVER Nervous Pervis?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What is the"PNR"?
    Pick Nose Right, Pick N Roll, I think. GoDuke!

Well, I won't say that was good defense by us. Because, well, it wasn't. We were awful defensively. By the play-by-play, we allowed Wake to score or get to the line or both on 43 of 65 contested possessions. That is awful. Sure, Wake is good, but you simply should not allow a team to score on 2 of every three possessions. We tried hedge and recover in the first half and we tried switching on screens in the second. Neither worked.

Thankfully Wake couldn't defend us either. And extra-thankfully, we were amazing from 3. I will take the win, but we really need to be better defensively.

Offensively, everything worked. Everyone shot well except Allen, and even he got 6 assists. Great game by the team on one end, awful game by the team on the other. Thankfully Wake missed a couple of late layups, and thankfully we didn't miss much.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Is he related to NEVER Nervous Pervis?
    He wasn't nervous in THAT game, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, I won't say that was good defense by us. Because, well, it wasn't. We were awful defensively. By the play-by-play, we allowed Wake to score or get to the line or both on 43 of 65 contested possessions. That is awful. Sure, Wake is good, but you simply should not allow a team to score on 2 of every three possessions. We tried hedge and recover in the first half and we tried switching on screens in the second. Neither worked.

Thankfully Wake couldn't defend us either. And extra-thankfully, we were amazing from 3. I will take the win, but we really need to be better defensively.

Offensively, everything worked. Everyone shot well except Allen, and even he got 6 assists. Great game by the team on one end, awful game by the team on the other. Thankfully Wake missed a couple of late layups, and thankfully we didn't miss much.
    I agree on all you said but would add that we played our best defense on those couple of missed layups. I was expecting to hear the whistle blow as it had through out the game. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Bootsy won the second time with a double double in Cameron.

What was going on defensively today? Someone suggested Duke was playing Collins straight up and forcing the rest of Wake to win the game. Also, Duke was guarding the 3pt line.

Duke guarded the PNR ok at times. I love Bolden's hedging. I thought the 1-2-2 helped control the pace. I think the issue was Duke just didnt want it bad enough on D, until late. Couple that with a few bailout foul calls by the refs and Duke was lucky to escape.

These games happen, and it's great to learn a new way to win, but I would love to see our guys exert their will on lesser teams. May not be in the cards for this year.

Super "Just Win, Baby!" Dave
    It seemed to me that Amile switched off of Collins at least a dozen times, leaving guys like Kennard, Jones and Jackson to guard him...Collins spent half the game
    waving for the ball due to mismatches. At some point I thought we might try another approach...but yes, a win is a win. However that was some ugly defense.

Grayson

I think someone in the chat today said they thought Grayson was still playing hurt. The locker room picture would suggest that he's still playing with a busted wheel.

Capture.JPG