Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Haha, you guys are nuts! I just checked back into this thread, and I see you're discussing falling-elevator strategies!
    don't get us started on airplanes and treadmills
    April 1

The elevators in my office fall up because of counterweights; the hydraulics push the elevator down.

Just so you know if you visit.

I think Kyrie is trying to make the playing field more equal between Duke education and UNC education. lol.
    ~rthomas

Me thinks Uncle Drew is just messing with all the young fellas. I fully expect a new Pepsi Max commercial with the old guys sitting around talking about the court being flat and the ball being round or some such.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    Me thinks Uncle Drew is just messing with all the young fellas. I fully expect a new Pepsi Max commercial with the old guys sitting around talking about the court being flat and the ball being round or some such.
    Best case scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Sorry, Wander. Art is exact. It is what it is. Science however, by definition, is approximate. These issues, e.g. man made climate change, reflect assumed models. A model consists of an assumption and a small number of rules. Change the assumption (or a rule or two) and all those abundantly clear beliefs are no longer abundantly clear. . .

Nothing personal, Wander. Existence is more complex than we can ever know. What is called settled science is much a creature of agreed upon truth, limited to our senses and sensors, merely a snapshot in the grand scheme of things.

i hope you give my comments a little thought. The process itself is beneficial....mad
    Amen to that. Spoken by a former member of the Duke faculty, and yes, in hard sciences.

Anyone capable of uttering the phrase "settled science" has absolutely no clue what science is., and no idea how to critically evaluate scientific evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewe View Post
    Amen to that. Spoken by a former member of the Duke faculty, and yes, in hard sciences.

Anyone capable of uttering the phrase "settled science" has absolutely no clue what science is., and no idea how to critically evaluate scientific evidence.
    Nice insults, especially in your 2nd ever post on DBR. But a scientific philosophy that doesn't allow statements like "The Earth is not flat" to be considered "settled" is a lame (and borderline useless) scientific philosophy.

Even if Kyrie is trolling, which I very much doubt, it's still embarrassing. He doesn't have a degree, which minimizes that embarrassment for Duke, but he's still one of the faces of our university.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But it's not the fall that hurts. It's the sudden stop at the bottom.
    Those darn landings are tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nice insults, especially in your 2nd ever post on DBR. But a scientific philosophy that doesn't allow statements like "The Earth is not flat" to be considered "settled" is a lame (and borderline useless) scientific philosophy.

Even if Kyrie is trolling, which I very much doubt, it's still embarrassing. He doesn't have a degree, which minimizes that embarrassment for Duke, but he's still one of the faces of our university.
    htttp://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ves-earth-flat

He was making a point about some of the ridiculous stories the media covers... he was also trying to generate conversation and have people do their own research. I am sure we will hear more about it tomorrow.

The truth is Kyrie's world is flat, and 94 feet long.

So Kyrie, The earth is flat. You were born in Australia. You migrated to North America. You've been in Europe and undoubtedly other places. In your many journeys why haven't you fallen off the flat surface?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    The truth is Kyrie's world is flat, and 94 feet long.
    ...And he sees Bilas walking up and down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    htttp://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ves-earth-flat

He was making a point about some of the ridiculous stories the media covers... he was also trying to generate conversation and have people do their own research. I am sure we will hear more about it tomorrow.
    In other words, he was trying to sound smart and enlightened, but instead used a really poor example and showed his ignorance.

I'm afraid that Kyrie's "clarification" yesterday did nothing to make his position more understandable...but no, he clearly wasn't kidding with his
    original comments. Hardly anything to worry about though...(I'm thinking any post hoops career with NASA is in serious jeopardy, however).

He's still a pretty good shooter, so I guess he at least intuitively has some understanding of Newtonian physics.

(The 3-point shoot-out went to a tiebreaker and he ended up second to Eric Gordon, but it was a pretty impressive performance.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Don't worry, this flat earth thing, hansboroughs inability to read children's books...there will always be shackleford and amphibious.

That said, I always find it funny how wrong public perception was about science at the time of Christopher Columbus. Science had the size of time earth right to what amounts to a rounding error. They did it think the earth was flat. Columbus was the one arguing bad science. He argued the earth was smaller no that it was not as far to India and that his expedition could make it. He was wrong of course and only the unknown Americas saved his bacon.

it sounds like he was in some very articulate convos at 4:20......you can actually prove conspiracies that way.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm afraid that Kyrie's "clarification" yesterday did nothing to make his position more understandable...but no, he clearly wasn't kidding with his
    original comments. Hardly anything to worry about though...(I'm thinking any post hoops career with NASA is in serious jeopardy, however).
    Hidden Figures women (4 year players who earned degrees) > Uncle Drew

This from Commissioner Silver

“Kyrie and I went to the same college,” Silver said, drawing laughs. “He may have taken some different courses than I did."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e76c75d2a098

I thought this took a lot of stones for a UNC student to comment on Duke athletes' education:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-earth-remarks