Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Good game guys! Ugly game to watch as expected but Tatum was sensational tonight. We had no answer for him. As I mentioned in another thread, Duke is a very bad matchup for us and we're a very flawed team. Predicted a 5 point Duke win. I was a little off lol. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Classy way to close out the game by UVA. No fouling in last 30 seconds and after Duke took the shot clock violation, UVA just set the ball on the court.

Dennis Smith, Seventh Woods, take note.

That rebound by Giles in the 2nd half where he jumped over the UVA player to get it was really impressive. Showing his athleticism is slowly coming back.

Big time win, even though Virginia's offense is god awful. I want to applaid our D but it did feel more like their O was awful.

Second Half Tatum not only provided the two late daggers but his all around game was awesome...boards, D, etc.

Harry's minutes were great, I thought he should have played more.

Big game for Luke handling the ball a ton against that D and I thought Matt's defensive presence was palpable.

Grayson and Amile didn't look 100% but they played hard.

Frank gave us good minutes, I thought.

Really big win for this squad. It was an ugly rock fight on the road and the boys took care of biz. So sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This is an impressive post from a guy whose team just lost a tough game. Thanks for being gracious.
    It wasn't that tough of a loss. We were thoroughly outplayed the entire night.

Absolutely ecstatic about this win. IMO, the most impressive game of the year considering the opponent, venue and style of play. UVA is not a great team because they are limited offensively, but they are still extremely troublesome and can beat anyone on any given night. Early on they were able to dictate the tempo and impose their defensive and physical style which was certainly helped by the the officials who, for once, decided to swallow their whistles. But Duke fought through it, played great team defensive, and let Tatum's NBA-level talent take over the game when Luke and Grayson were both having tough nights. Giles was great at both ends of the court and I expect his minutes and contributions to continue to expand.

Always a grind against UVA, but feels good to win! And yes, I still remember when I used to groan every time Jayson attempted a three-pointer, but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That's the first post after a great win??
    Sarcasm. This was in reference to another thread. Shoes how dangerous we are with Tatum at the 4. There are very few 4s in the country who can guard Tatum.

Always feel like it's a game played in mud against UVA...

But GREAT win! Played 23 seconds of defense every trip. 6 in a row and gaining mo!

Tatum plays so much better when he lets the game come to him. So much talent. He showed tonight that he has the potential to carry this team deep into March.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great win. I'd put it alongside carolina as the biggest of the season. The defense was fantastic tonight...kept us in a typical grinder with the 'Hoos. But the offense was also sneaky good in the second half. I'll be interested to see points per possession for the 2nd half...I'd be willing to bet it was quite good.
    Obviously, Jayson Tatum was sensational. Good minutes from Giles as well. There's lots to be encouraged about tonight.
    I can't deny that there are some shades of 2015 in tonight's performance...
    We scored 44 points on 30 possessions, including the shot clock violation at the end. Before the intentional fouling, it was 33 points on 23 possessions. Both of those are really good.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I will be the first to tell you when we lost to State & were behind the Wake game until the end that I did not predict a 6 game win streak. It is more than the wins for me it is how tough this team has become. Regardless of how this plays out in the end I am incredibly proud of this team.

The team defense tonight I thought was outstanding. Giles I thought was excellent off the bench. Matt Jones playing so smart..such great defense..

& Tatum.. Wow. He gave us separation & then we hit the free throws down the stretch..I think we missed one after they were fouling us on purpose..Jackson I love how he sat that long but comes off the bench & hits his free throws..

Great team win.. Sleep well DBR world.

GO DUKE

Great win, considering how poorly Grayson and Luke played. UVA makes you look bad, they are a good, dangerous squad. Tatum was just ridiculously good tonight, Giles is improving. Time for the downhill run, tied for second..

what a satisfying win! Not that it was fun to watch, but it was great to see us just absorb their beat you up approach and just rip their hearts out oh, so, slow, ly.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    We scored 44 points on 30 possessions, including the shot clock violation at the end. Before the intentional fouling, it was 33 points on 23 possessions. Both of those are really good.
    Can't spork, but thanks for confirming my hunch.
    Where do you get advanced stats so soon after the game?

I wonder if we will make the tournament.

Really don't understand the Grayson over Frank in the second half when it was clear that GA was really laboring. I thought Frank was really good in all of his minutes. GA was off and was really struggling to move.

I thought Giles had his best game of the year. Real flashes of what he could be. I liked Bolden's minutes too. I understand playing Jefferson in the second half when you're protecting a lead on the road. Last thing you want to do is have miscommunication and give up an easy bucket.

I have seen some other boards saying that we can't count on is a Tatum 6-7 performance from deep. I would just counter that it's extremely unlikely that Grayson and Luke are going to be grabbed and pulled the entire game and hit only 1 three.

Thought that was a great team effort all around. I thought Matt was GREAT. When he's just asked to do the things he's capable of (spot up for 3's and work his butt off on the other team's best perimeter player as long as they aren't a blazing fast point guard), he is sooooo valuable.

Great win.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This is an impressive post from a guy whose team just lost a tough game. Thanks for being gracious.
    As I said in one of my posts yesterday or today, we've got a number of classy, intelligent, thoughtful, analytical UVa posters visiting here. I agree, a very gracious post.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The guy guarding Jayson is going to be on the ACC's all defensive team, btw. And could be DPOY.
    The shoulder slump and head drop after one of the late threes was reminiscent of Tyus' defender 2 years ago.

Wasn't quite the same as we could have let them back in with free throws but certainly broke them some.

2 years ago at UVA a freshman came up big. Tyus then. Jayson tonight.

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Well, I guess the secret to beating Virginia's D is having a 6'9" dude who can drill 30 footers with a hand in his face. So simple, I have no idea why everyone else having so many problems.