Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Recruiting

2009 Recruiting

In the wake of Greg Monroe's commitment to Georgetown, many glass-half-full types have pointed towards the supposedly loaded 09 class as much more important. With that said, what are Duke's priorities in this class? I would think a dominant big man and a true point guard have to be on the list, since Zoubek/Lance would be seniors in fall 09 and Paulus will have graduated.

For ease of use, here is Scout.com's Top 100 for 2009.

The two players that we know for certain are high priorities are Kenny Boynton and Hollis Thompson. Duke LOVES both of these kids and will make every effort to bring them in. Duke feels the same way about Leslie McDonald but recognizes that he and Elliott Williams may be mutually exclusive.

Jon Hood a 6'6" perimeter player made an unofficial this past weekend. Combo forwards Reeves Nelson and Jamil Wilson are on the radar. Bigs? Murphy and Echenique. Duke is still evaluating players in this class and the list may well expand. And I may well have forgotten someone.

Despite what you may have read/heard elsewhere, Duke is not currently involved with either Lance Stephenson or Daniel Orton. Could change, of course.

As mentioned on another thread, this a very deep and talented class and Duke probably will look to bring in four players, maybe five if EW goes elsewhere.

We'll need to get one of everything. Between NBA defections, transfers, and injuries, these days college programs need to get a big class at least every other year. If the '08 class is going to be small, then we'll need at least a 4-man class for '09 and probably a 5 or 6-man class, imo. Let's look at the lineup for the '09-'10 season. Parentheses for Henderson since he might not be here, brackets for Singler since he very likely won't be here.

Jr Smith
    Sr Scheyer
    (Sr Hendo)
    [Jr Singler] Jr King Sr Thomas
    Sr Zoubek So Czyz

That's only 6 players that we can count on being here for '09-'10. Throw in the transfer and injury aspects, and it's possibly going to be 5 players. 3 of those 6 players are going to be seniors. We'll need one of everything from the '09 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We'll need to get one of everything. Between NBA defections, transfers, and injuries, these days college programs need to get a big class at least every other year. If the '08 class is going to be small, then we'll need at least a 4-man class for '09 and probably a 5 or 6-man class, imo. Let's look at the lineup for the '09-'10 season. Parentheses for Henderson since he might not be here, brackets for Singler since he very likely won't be here.

Jr Smith
    Sr Scheyer
    (Sr Hendo)
    [Jr Singler] Jr King Sr Thomas
    Sr Zoubek So Czyz

That's only 6 players that we can count on being here for '09-'10. Throw in the transfer and injury aspects, and it's possibly going to be 5 players. 3 of those 6 players are going to be seniors. We'll need one of everything from the '09 class.
    The surprising thing about Troublemaker's list is that Duke actually has more depth in front court than in back court, pending what happens with Elliot Williams, as well as with Singler and Henderson.

They need to hope that at least one of Kyle/Gerald is available that year to play the 3 spot.

Looking at Troublemaker's list, it's clear the big needs are for a 1 and a 5 (yes, I know K doesn't play positions). By most accounts Smith is not a true point guard, and still-our-only-big-man Brian Zoubek would be graduating the same year an 09 recruit is a freshman. I have not seen the complete list of who K is recruiting, but based on what Jim says, it doesn't sound like a burly big man in the Boozer-Brand-Williams mold and a true Duke point guard are the highest priorities, which I think is interesting.

There are some point guards in the class of '10 that Duke likes a great deal. Boynton certainly can play point. He's probably best described as a lead guard in the Dawkins-Jason Williams mold.

09 class

I'm not one who thinks Duke recruiting is down. Believe me I wanted Monroe is bad as anybody he is a great player and would of helped a lot. But like I have stated before on here the 09 class will be the biggest class for Duke recruiting in a long time. Duke will have at least 4 scollerships to give out at least depending on Elliot Williams desicion which we will find out on Nov 2nd. I believe we will have more than 4 but we will have to wait and see I think if Duke does not have a great recruiting class in 09 then this program will be in a mess, this class will make are break are program for a while I promise you. Duke has got of to a quick start recruiting in 09 that should help us. If you look at the probable roster for 09-10 we will have as seniors Zoubek Thomas schyer and Henderson. Juniors Singler Smith King. Soph we only have Czyz right now I'm not counting on Williams. Henderson will not be here and Singler might not be either that only leaves 6 guys. Now guys I know Duke is recruiting in 09 are, Kenny Boynton, Hollis Thopson, Reeves Nelson and Greg Enchenique. Also guys that Duke are evaluating are have shown intrest in Duke are Lance Stephenson, Jamil Wilson, Deshawn Painter, Daniel Orton, Leslie McDonald, Royce White and Erik Murphy. If anybody else has any other names please share. Do you guys agree are disagree with me that the 09 class will be big for are program.

Recruits for Next Year's Class?

If Elliot Williams does not choose Duke, ( an article indicates he is favoring Memphis and Tennessee over Duke ),who is Coach K looking at for next year ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    If Elliot Williams does not choose Duke, ( an article indicates he is favoring Memphis and Tennessee over Duke ),who is Coach K looking at for next year ?
    It is entirely possible that after 3 consecutive classes all rated among the top 3 or so in the land that we will only get Olek Czyz for the class of 2008. I am not aware of Duke aggressively going after anyone else in that class. We may get involved with someone late if we see a need, but I am not sure there is all that much of a need anyway-- especially when you consider how relatively weak the 2008 high school class is.

--Jason "many recruiting services still list us in the running for Riek, but everything I hear is that Riek is going NBA and Duke is no longer interested" Evans

If we don't bring any other point guards in next year, it appears imperative that Nolan Smith play numerous minutes at the point this year. We will need his experience after Paulus leaves - if not, we will rely entirely on a freshman point guard in 2009-2010.

OK, color me confused. As I figure it, Paulus will definitely be here next year. And, assuming he stays, Smith will be here next year and the year you listed, 09/10, at which point he would be a junior. Possibly I missed something, however. Maybe you figure Smith won't stay beyond two years -- in which case it doesn't matter how much he plays this year.
    I do agree, however, that Smith will play a lot of point this year. Certainly all the minutes that Scheyer played at point last year, plus I would think that Paulus' minutes will be cut some since we are going to play a running game.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    OK, color me confused. As I figure it, Paulus will definitely be here next year. And, assuming he stays, Smith will be here next year and the year you listed, 09/10, at which point he would be a junior. Possibly I missed something, however. Maybe you figure Smith won't stay beyond two years -- in which case it doesn't matter how much he plays this year.
    I do agree, however, that Smith will play a lot of point this year. Certainly all the minutes that Scheyer played at point last year, plus I would think that Paulus' minutes will be cut some since we are going to play a running game.
    Jon Scheyer not being forced to play out of position at PG now that Nolan is on board can only help his game. He had a lot thrown at him his freshman year and handled it well til he eventually wore down physically and mentally at end of last season.

Same is true for Nelson being a better defender of fast guards thanks to Nolan and Greg having a viable backup not only in games but also a bona fide PG to practice against every day so each improve their repsective games.

So three guys improve as a result of one recruit and same benefits would accrue if Elliot Williams does commit to Duke both for Elliot and his future teammates.

I suspect one way or the other Elliot Williams is Duke's final 2008 recruit. Other than the downstream impact in senior leadership several years from now, Duke can afford to wait as long as they land a mega class again in class of 2009.

A lot depends on how well Zoubek and Lance play and how well Singler and King and McClure play if the former are not playing well enough.

I have a complete 2009 update breaking down all the targets in my premium section at BDN. For those who are interested of course ... the list is quite accurate

Andre Buckner and Andre Sweet were the most recent fallback recruits for Duke. So somewhere in this great land, there's a high school senior named Andre waiting for the call.

To Mgtr

We are hoping for the same thing - that Nolan Smith can get valuable minutes as PG this year and next. The concern is that maybe he can't really play the point and/or Paulus plays 38 minutes a game at point over the next 2years.

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    We are hoping for the same thing - that Nolan Smith can get valuable minutes as PG this year and next. The concern is that maybe he can't really play the point and/or Paulus plays 38 minutes a game at point over the next 2years.
    I don't have a concern about Paulus playing major minutes this year or for the next 2 years. If he is doing so it means that he is playing well.

List of Targets

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I have a complete 2009 update breaking down all the targets in my premium section at BDN. For those who are interested of course ... the list is quite accurate
    Watzone, how can I get to BDN? Is it a pay site? I know from your previous posts that you are very knowledgeable. Would love to see your list, join the site, so on.

Quote Originally Posted by novablue4 View Post
    Watzone, how can I get to BDN? Is it a pay site? I know from your previous posts that you are very knowledgeable. Would love to see your list, join the site, so on.
    http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Andre Buckner and Andre Sweet were the most recent fallback recruits for Duke. So somewhere in this great land, there's a high school senior named Andre waiting for the call.
    That's very funny, Jim. Something I would expect from Carlos!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    I don't think there's any doubt that he can be, at a minimum, capable at the PG right now, which I would only expect to improve year over year. Not to mention his defensive prowess will be HUGE for this team when Zoubek isn't in. Stopping penetration will make or break many games, imo. Glad to hear somewhere else that Paulus looks better defensively