Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Recruiting

2009 Recruiting

I know we have not even got a verbal from anyone in the 08 class but I can't stop thinking about how loaded the 09 class is. This is going to be a loaded class trust me and here are some names I here Duke will be recruiting. Reeves Nelson 6"7 PF from CA, Duke has offered him. Kenny Boynton 6"2 PG from FL, he will be getting an offer here soon. Leslie McDonald 6"4 SG from Tenn, Dexter Strickland 6"3 SG from NJ, Terrell Vinson 6"5 F from MD, Daniel Orton 6"8 C from OK, Erik Murphy 6"8 PF from MA, and the guy I really want is Derrick Favors 6"9 PF from GA this guy is nasty. Duke will have a few scholerships to give out in this class I'm hoping for a 4-5 man class these are the names I'm hering if any of you know about any other names please share.

Way too early for this one...

...and I love rampant, unfounded, unsupported, and crazy-butt recruiting speculation as much or more than anybody on this board.

I love the question, but it is just way too soon. Normally, here at Duke, we are in a position to speculate about down the road recruiting. That is because Duke is usually more settled, one way or the other. In the past Decade, we have either had a huge incoming class or been really loaded already, or both. Also, the current players were more known quantities than currently exists.

This year, there are simply too many variables to compute. The roster in two years is simply too unknown. There is not a single position where a recruit could look at Duke and say that there will absolutely be a need. In two years, Paulus will definitely be gone (barring injury redshirt), but Nolan Smith could be ready to step in for him.

The post is a possibility, but it could very well be that Zoubek and Thomas have rapidly improved their games and seem poised to gobble up minutes as Seniors (meaning it would be very hard for a freshman, even a supremely talented one, to displace them in Duke's system, simply because the D scheme can be hard to fully grasp immediately). This says nothing of Singler, who could still be at Duke.

Once this year shapes up (ie, we know what BZ and LT's carreer trajectory looks like, and we see how long GH and KS will be in the program) we will have a better grasp on Duke's needs. Also, the recruiting class is murky, later in the summer than in recent memory.

Loathe though we are to admit it, Duke might not get a single recruit this year. Our top two targets, Williams and Monroe, are by no means locks. GM projects as a one year player, so he probably won't factor in to the 2009 class's thinking, but Williams's committment to Duke would all but lock up the perimeter rotation (with Scheyer and Nolan Smith). K might bring in one more, but that would only be in Smith proves completely incapable of running the point, likewise Williams, who looks like a combo guard. If BZ and LT look good this year, the 09 class might take a wait and see approach to see if they were good enough in 08-09 to leave early before committing.

See, there are too many what if's to even wildly speculate about Duke's needs. The only position where Duke might reasonably be thin would be an athletic SF (but any team needs one of those every 1-2 years anyway). Again, our need there depends on recruiting this year and player retention.

I like your list. I would perhaps add Cousins from Bama to the list. Some of the PGs you listed are not currently considering Duke, but that could change in 2 years. The size of your list indicates the very uncertainty of which I speak. Recently, the staff has basically already ID'd the players we will pursue in the Jr class and begun to focus on them. The size of your list indicates that the Staff probably has little more insight on this issue than we do. I predict this will clear up, at least for the staff, after the summer evaluation period.

Let's pick this thread up during the Christmas break, when our needs and targets will be somewhat clearer.

Patrick Yates

ps. I think this year we see a sea change in recruiting. Monroe is taking a wait and see approach. I would not be surprised to see him wait until after the McD's game to make his decision. He is going to wait and see how the entire situation at his top schools play out before committing. If Duke loses nobody early, and BZ and LT develop, and KS delivers on his promise, Duke's front court will be pretty crowded (not to mention GOOD). GM would probably play, a lot, but the others would siphon off shots and minutes from a player who is basically playing to audition for endorsement deals. Sorry folks, but that is the hard cold reality of the recruiting world today.

Highly, highly unlikely that Duke won't sign anyone this season.

Agreed, I can't see us not getting one single recruit.

I said "Might" People

Might. Not Won't. Might. Unclench.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Unlikely for certain, but Monroe and Williams are both being heavily targeted. Do you know something about us having an inside track on either one you'd like to share with us?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    Unlikely for certain, but Monroe and Williams are both being heavily targeted. Do you know something about us having an inside track on either one you'd like to share with us?
    This is my point exactly. We seem to be zeroed in on these two kids, both of whom are highly coveted, and who large, in-state schools are going after hard. Neither one is a cinch.

As for the Olek or Dunigan kids who we may or may not be targeting, who can say when or if we will go after them hard, and what our chances will be with them. If anyone knows something I do not, please speak up.

Patrick Yates

"Do you know something about us having an inside track on either one you'd like to share with us? "

No, I'm not ready to call Ohio for Kerry.

My confidence that Duke will sign someone is based on two things. One, when has Duke not signed someone? I can't recall any o-fers. Two, my understanding from multiple sources that Duke is going to be very active and very visible on the summer-camp circuit and that part of that time will be spent evaluating and making contacts with some plan-B candidates.

Williams expects to sign in the fall and it's not impossible that he'll make up his mind sooner, rather than later. Monroe could drag out a bit, which will be good for DBR's spring readership.

In fact, I understand that DBR actually encourages guys like Thomas and Patterson to wait as long as possible in order to generate hits in the down period after the season concludes. BTW, where's the icon for "You know I'm being sardonic, don't you?"

Patrick not too seem like I'm fighting with you becouse I'm not, becouse your post was good. But most of the player's I listed in 09 Duke is recruiting, you said you were not sure about the list of PG I gave. I only listed one point guard Boynton and Duke is recruiting him and he will be offered soon I believe. You also mentioned Cousins he does list Duke but he is a one and done and is problably a UAB lock, I know that sounds crazy but true. Like I said 09 could be an very important class for Duke, we might not land anybody in 08. Monroe and Williams are the only two targets and many of you think even if we miss on both of them Duke will sign somebody else, problaby not. I like are chances for both of these guys but they are not for sure yet, and buy the time they decide it will be to late for Duke to try to get anybody else. And even if we land Monroe he is more than likley a one and done, and by 09 Henderson and Singler could be gone as well. Like I said I could be wrong but I believe 09 will be an important class for Duke and we will need at least 4 guys from this class

Can I get a PG?

Maybe this has been discussed a number of times and perhaps we've already got the answer (Nolan Smith) but can I get a pure PG prospect? It seems to me Duke has done best when we have a solid PG or two, ready to run out offense. I'd even argue that Greg isn't really a prototypical PG, but rather more of a combo guy with great vision. Man, we need a PG and we need one bad. I thought K usually recruits a PG to come in when our starting PG is a rising Junior. Well, we didn't get that and I understand, but why aren't there any offers out there for 08? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd at least like to see an offer on the board. What harm could it do and by the way, we need one. Always have.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed a number of times and perhaps we've already got the answer (Nolan Smith) but can I get a pure PG prospect? It seems to me Duke has done best when we have a solid PG or two, ready to run out offense. I'd even argue that Greg isn't really a prototypical PG, but rather more of a combo guy with great vision. Man, we need a PG and we need one bad. I thought K usually recruits a PG to come in when our starting PG is a rising Junior. Well, we didn't get that and I understand, but why aren't there any offers out there for 08? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd at least like to see an offer on the board. What harm could it do and by the way, we need one. Always have.
    Sure, if you're thinking a Hurley or a JWill, we'd be better off!

But I'm not sure we need a PG 'bad'.

For the next couple years I think Greg is it (and I wish he were a bit more "combo guard", but he looks pretty point guard to me). I've been pretty hard on Greg, but I should remind myself that Wojo was considered something of a disappointment halfway through his career. Greg should get better at protecting the ball and making sure everyone knows their roles. With all of these offensive savants coming in, that's what our point guards will need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As usual, gotta agree with Jim.

In fact, with a scholarship sure to open up when Demarcus graduates, I think Duke ought to offer 6' 7" 235 pound Olek Czyz now to have a 4-year big guy, regardless of what happens with Monroe and Williams

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
    STRENGTHS
    Athleticism
    Competitiveness
    Plays Facing Basket

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
    Perimeter Shot
    Post Play

Native of Poland. Power forward has tons of bounce and determination. Thinks everything should be a dunk. Has some face up capabilities. Needs to round out his offense but has the potential to be considered a big conference player.

Biography:
    Very bouncy young forward. Shot needs work. Not bad around the basket. Native of Poland has been in the States 3 years. He nips 6-foot-8, bangs what he can inside with surprising athleticism and then tantalizes with a jumper every now and then. Conservatively, he’ll play in a big league. Early love coming from Arizona State, Washington State, Colorado State, Santa Clara, Nevada and Pepperdine.

------------------

Should have plenty of room to recruit in 2009 regardless but bad to have academic class with no players, and Monroe would not be a member for long.

Gotta disagree with others that landing him would not affect 2009 though. It would until recruits are sure he is one and done.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 07-03-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typos

This will be the roster in 09, sr- Henderson, Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek. jr- Singler, King, Smith. So- who ever we get in 08, I hope for Monroe, and Williams. Like I said that will leave us at least 3 scholarships for 09. I really believe Henderson will leave after his jr year and if we get Monroe he will be a one and done. If I'm right that means we will have 5 scholarships to give out and will need at least a 4 man class in my opinion. The reason I started this post was to point out how deep the 09 class is, and Duke is recruiting a few of the top players from this class, and we seem to be sitting good with a few of them. My dream class is Boynton, McDonald, Ortan, Reeves, or Favors. That would be the number one class in the nation, problably will never happen but we all can dream. I know a lot of you think it is way to early to be recruiting juniors but today in college basketball you have to recruit these guys this early are you will get in to late for there services.

I enjoy discussing recruiting as it provides me an opportunity to be just as wrong as all the experts. As far as the Class of 2009 goes, yes it is loaded and Duke will be looking at many top prospects. But first, we need to focus on the Class of 2008. Obviously, Greg Monroe and Elliot Williams are the top targets, but as Jim Sumner stated above, the staff will be looking at other prospects over the summer. I expect Duke will sign multiple players from both classes.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Isn't this the new reality, though? You have to sign the maximum number of players you can, since more guys are leaving early. So, you target two super-good players, but you have your eye on a couple others which you may need to sign.

New Reality

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Isn't this the new reality, though? You have to sign the maximum number of players you can, since more guys are leaving early. So, you target two super-good players, but you have your eye on a couple others which you may need to sign.
    Until Carmelo, some schools would not sign a player that was a sure one and done. Duke seemed to be one of those schools. Now, Monroe is probably one of those players and we are after him as our leading recruit. That is a new reality.

Perhaps another is that Duke has fallen off a little in recruiting power and definitely is not in a position to get just about any recruit. If that was ever the case, it doesn't appear to be that way now.

I'm not convinced that we have lost any recruiting prowess. Over the past two years, we have signed:

Singler, Smith, King, Scheyer, Henderson, Thomas & Zoubek

Currently, we are in the running for Monroe and Williams. The situation with Duke and recruiting is okay.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm not convinced that we have lost any recruiting prowess. Over the past two years, we have signed:

Singler, Smith, King, Scheyer, Henderson, Thomas & Zoubek

Currently, we are in the running for Monroe and Williams. The situation with Duke and recruiting is okay.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Not only would I agree on the double negative, I would say Duke is at or near the top on recruiting the past few years. This is based on one recruiting ranking over several years:

Except in 2007 where there was more data, a score of 21 for example in 2006 means they were rated #5 (26-x); for 2007 use 31-x since there were 30 teams listed. AZ is the only team with a non-zero in all four years,

School 4-yr 2007 2006 2005 2004 School
    Duke 68 23 21 24 0 Duke
    Kansas 60 0 14 22 24 Kansas
    Louisville 57 0 17 21 19 Louisville
    Memphis 57 21 0 19 17 Memphis
    Texas 55 9 23 0 23 Texas
    UCONN 54 0 22 16 16 UCONN
    Kentucky 53 18 10 0 25 Kentucky
    Washin 53 11 19 23 0 Washington
    Arizona 52 26 3 12 11 Arizona
    Florida 50 30 6 0 14 Florida
    Ohio St 49 25 24 0 0 Ohio State
    UCLA 49 20 0 8 21 UCLA
    Indiana 44 22 0 0 22 Indiana
    Alabama 43 7 0 18 18 Alabama
    UNC 42 0 25 17 0 North Carolina
    Mich St 40 17 8 0 15 Mich St
    Syracuse 31 27 4 0 0 Syracuse
    Villanova 31 19 12 0 0 Villanova
    GA Tech 29 0 18 6 5 GA Tech
    K-State 29 29 0 0 0 K-State
    NC State 29 13 0 9 7 NC State
    Ms State 28 0 0 20 8 Ms State
    Okl State 28 3 0 25 0 Okl State
    USC 28 28 0 0 0 USC
    Arkansas 24 0 11 0 13 Arkansas
    Purdue 24 24 0 0 0 Purdue
    Georgetn 21 8 13 0 0 Georgetown
    Oregon 20 0 0 0 20 Oregon
    Tenness 20 0 20 0 0 Tennessee
    Baylor 19 0 9 10 0 Baylor
    DePaul 19 15 0 4 0 DePaul
    LSU 17 6 0 11 0 LSU
    Cincinnai 16 16 0 0 0 Cincinnati
    Wake Fot 16 0 16 0 0 Wake Forest
    Stanford 15 0 15 0 0 Stanford
    UNLV 15 0 0 15 0 UNLV
    Georgia 14 0 0 14 0 Georgia
    Gonzaga 14 14 0 0 0 Gonzaga
    TX Tech 13 0 0 13 0 TX Tech
    VA Tech 13 10 0 0 3 VA Tech
    AZ State 12 12 0 0 0 AZ State
    Misssouri 12 0 0 0 12 Misssouri
    Florida S 10 0 0 0 10 Florida State
    BYU 9 0 0 0 9 BYU
    Maryland 7 0 7 0 0 Maryland
    Notre Da 7 0 0 7 0 Notre Dame
    Oklahoma 6 4 2 0 0 Oklahoma
    Pitt 6 5 0 1 0 Pitt
    Vandy 6 0 0 0 6 Vandy
    Auburn 5 0 0 5 0 Auburn
    TX A&M 5 0 5 0 0 TX A&M
    Clemson 4 0 0 0 4 Clemson
    Marquett 3 0 0 3 0 Marquette
    Dayton 2 0 0 0 2 Dayton
    Illinois 2 2 0 0 0 Illinois
    Miami FL 2 0 0 2 0 Miami FL
    Iowa 1 0 0 0 1 Iowa
    St.John's 1 1 0 0 0 St.John's
    Wisconsi 1 0 1 0 0 Wisconsin
    465 325 325 325 Total
    Last edited by JBDuke; 07-04-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typos

I think that before the age limit was put into place, schools thought twice about recruiting "one and doners" because there was always the possibility that they would bolt after their SR year in HS. That was a huge waste (I haven't forgiven you, Livingston!)

"Perhaps another is that Duke has fallen off a little in recruiting power and definitely is not in a position to get just about any recruit. If that was ever the case, it doesn't appear to be that way now."

I don't think that was ever the case. Duke has had some great recruiting classes but Duke has always had misses. During periods of great success, K has missed on high-profile targets like Bryant Stith, Chris Corchianni, Chris Webber, Alan Henderson, Jerry Stackhouse, and Jared Jeffries. K has never "selected" recruits, at least not for very long.