Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

The first trailer dropped this morning.
    Is that Rod from Get Out?

If it is, I'm sold.

I went and saw the movie. Honestly wasn’t expecting it to be any good, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s not going to win any Oscars but was very entertaining. It helps to watch it with a couple of adult beverages in a theater full of rowdy teenagers, many of whom were sporting Duke gear and Irving jerseys. I expect a rotten tomatoes ratings in the single digits though, in terms of actual movie quality it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I expect a rotten tomatoes ratings in the single digits though, in terms of actual movie quality it was bad.
    67%

The critics say it is not a bad comedy.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did anyone select this with "Field?"

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...er-2018-(top-3!)

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I went and saw the movie. Honestly wasn’t expecting it to be any good, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s not going to win any Oscars but was very entertaining. It helps to watch it with a couple of adult beverages in a theater full of rowdy teenagers, many of whom were sporting Duke gear and Irving jerseys. I expect a rotten tomatoes ratings in the single digits though, in terms of actual movie quality it was bad.

It's actually quite nice especially if you go with your kids. Don't forget to watch the credits when Uncle Drew makes an important point clear.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    ... Don't forget to watch the credits when Uncle Drew makes an important point clear.
    I hope it is along the lines of 9f.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

What a tour de force! A true masterpiece of cinema!

Folks, if you had any doubts about whether to pay exorbitant movie theater prices to go see Uncle Drew, let me cure you of that uncertainty right now.

Uncle Drew is great. It absolutely does have formulaic and predictable elements, but each of them is executed so well that you realize the movie would suffer if it took a different approach. Watching this movie is about enjoying the ride.

For peak enjoyment, I do recommend a few beers beforehand.

And that bit in the credits makes the movie worth it twice over.

Uncle Drew (No spoilers)

So I went and saw the film tonight, and really enjoyed it. It's obviously no Oscar nominee, but is very entertaining (especially Shaq, who is without a doubt, the star of the movie). I expected this to be a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes type of movie, but it was good. However, some of the jokes are really meant for basketball fans.

There is an absolutely hilarious joke between Kyrie and Chris Webber towards the end of the film. I burst out laughing, but was the only person in a packed movie theater who did so . . . it was a little embarrassing, and I was shocked that no one else got the joke.

If anybody here sees the film, back me up on this. It was a good one

edit: whoops, didn't realize a thread had been started already . . . mods please move this post over. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So I went and saw the film tonight, and really enjoyed it. It's obviously no Oscar nominee, but is very entertaining (especially Shaq, who is without a doubt, the star of the movie). I expected this to be a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes type of movie, but it was good. However, some of the jokes are really meant for basketball fans.

There is an absolutely hilarious joke between Kyrie and Chris Webber towards the end of the film. I burst out laughing, but was the only person in a packed movie theater who did so . . . it was a little embarrassing, and I was shocked that no one else got the joke.

If anybody here sees the film, back me up on this. It was a good one

edit: whoops, didn't realize a thread had been started already . . . mods please move this post over. Thanks!!
    I hope it involved Chris Webber calling timeout at an inopportune time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    67%

The critics say it is not a bad comedy.
    Holding steady at 66%, audience score 65%. Both numbers are about 3 times higher than what I expected when this movie was announced. Congrats to Kyrie and the other creators for making an apparently watchable film.

Not only has a thread already been started, but your review was almost identical to mine! If you're not careful people will think you're an AFAM tutor.

I burst out laughing, but was the only person in a packed movie theater who did so . . . it was a little embarrassing, and I was shocked that no one else got the joke.
    I jumped out of my seat when Mosquito appeared as a player in one of the games... and I'm quite certain I was the only person to do so

Not only has a thread already been started, but your review was almost identical to mine! If you're not careful people will think you're an AFAM tutor.
    The only thing that could be worse than the bolded would be to be an AFAM Student!

First weekend movie grossed 15.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    First weekend movie grossed 15.5 million.
    Wikipedia lists its current box office revenue at $19.5 million on a $17 to $19 million budget. It should wind up making a very nice profit

I went today and enjoyed it. I laughed a lot and that alone was worth the admission. As one poster stated above doubt there will be an Oscar nominee but as long as you are entertained what does it matter. Loved the team van. If there is a sequel Charles Barkley would be good I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Holding steady at 66%, audience score 65%. Both numbers are about 3 times higher than what I expected when this movie was announced. Congrats to Kyrie and the other creators for making an apparently watchable film.
    I understand that RT numbers tend to start out high, as it’s the die-hard fans of the movie who go on opening weekend, and then slowly drop as time passes. But still, 66/65% is phenomenal. For comparison’s sake, here are some RT comps:

Hoosiers: 88/88%
    He Got Game: 80/83%
    White Men Can’t Jump: 77/68%
    Above The Rim: 53/83%
    Space Jam: 38/63%
    Blue Chips: 37/52%
    The Air Up There: 21/34%
    Juwanna Mann: 10/38%

So, Uncle Drew isn’t quite up there with the classics, but does beat out all of the “silly” basketball movies.

I understand that RT numbers tend to start out high, as it’s the die-hard fans of the movie who go on opening weekend, and then slowly drop as time passes. But still, 66/65% is phenomenal. For comparison’s sake, here are some RT comps:

Hoosiers: 88/88%
    He Got Game: 80/83%
    White Men Can’t Jump: 77/68%
    Above The Rim: 53/83%
    Space Jam: 38/63%
    Blue Chips: 37/52%
    The Air Up There: 21/34%
    Juwanna Mann: 10/38%

So, Uncle Drew isn’t quite up there with the classics, but does beat out all of the “silly” basketball movies.
    I find it hard to believe that Uncle Drew is better than Blue Chips.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Uncle Drew is better than Blue Chips.

- Chillin
    Must have been all the UNC fans that downvoted Blue Chips because it hit too close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The only thing that could be worse than the bolded would be to be an AFAM Student!
    Please put the "uNC" qualifier on there if you're going to make that joke. This is one of the many outrages of the uNC scandal: African American studies is an important field.