Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Agreed.

I really, really hate ESPN, and hope they get their karmic comeuppance for this bullwanker, but I'm increasingly convinced it's just not possible for us to be what gives it to them. I think T-shirts is probably the best move we can make without making things worse.
    T-shirts gives them something to report on and will make the situation worse.

You either have to subvert the quality of the show without giving them any ammunition, or directly attack ESPN without mercy, forcing them to acknowledge their actions in their reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Question. Can anyone attend the Gameday Session? Free admission to anyone that shows up or what?
    Yes. The procedure is different at every school but I would imagine you could find information from Duke with details. I went to Gameday at UVA a couple years ago. We got there around 6 am, they let us in at 9, and I had a blast. Everybody should go once.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    T-shirts gives them something to report on and will make the situation worse.

You either have to subvert the quality of the show without giving them any ammunition, or directly attack ESPN without mercy, forcing them to acknowledge their actions in their reporting.
    Totally agree. The last thing we want is to 1. Make it worse, or 2. Make it seem we don't believe Grayson did anything wrong.

The best way to support and help Grayson is to stop talking about his crap; treat him like every other player we love; and let K take care of the day-to-day.

Harder for him to move on if the fans have not.

Next play.

If folks want to protest how ESPN is playing this up, don't go to Game Day. An empty Cameron is the only thing that will really send a message that resonates, not random signs or chants or shirts. You show up and yell, you're part of the spectacle feeding the beast.

-- OldSchoolPhiKap

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The best way to support and help Grayson is to stop talking about his crap; treat him like every other player we love; and let K take care of the day-to-day.

Harder for him to move on if the fans have not.

Next play.

If folks want to protest how ESPN is playing this up, don't go to Game Day. An empty Cameron is the only thing that will really send a message that resonates, not random signs or chants or shirts. You show up and yell, you're part of the spectacle feeding the beast.

-- OldSchoolPhiKap
    The only drawback there is when other fans notice our absence, accuse us of entitlement, arrogance, and ignorance, and subsequently continue to feed the beast.

But, that aside, this is the best option. Have a party in K-Ville instead, away from the cameras.

-- OldSchoolPhiKap
    Remember the old newspaper line -- don't get into a wankering contest with people who buy their ink by the barrel.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

You will not beat the group that buys ink by the barrel.

Your post went up as I was typing!😎

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    The only drawback there is when other fans notice our absence, accuse us of entitlement, arrogance, and ignorance, and subsequently continue to feed the beast.

But, that aside, this is the best option. Have a party in K-Ville instead, away from the cameras.
    Haters gonna hate regardless. Can't spend too much time worried about them. I don't see this as a big risk, really.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Remember the old newspaper line -- don't get into a wankering contest with people who buy their ink by the barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You will not beat the group that buys ink by the barrel.

Your post went up as I was typing!��
    The way you fight the press is to unsubscribe. Why help their ratings if they are spewing hate on us?

Totally agree. The last thing we want is to 1. Make it worse, or 2. Make it seem we don't believe Grayson did anything wrong.
    You are correct sir.
    Any protest would be reported as 2.

Let stinking poo lie.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Haters gonna hate regardless. Can't spend too much time worried about them. I don't see this as a big risk, really.

The way you fight the press is to unsubscribe. Why help their ratings if they are spewing hate on us?
    I still want signs about the Tar Heels cheating ways. You know the Carolina way. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    The people who go to Gameday really should do some kind of protest. Like turn around when Jay Williams starts talking, or just be silent when the camera pans to them. Something should happen. I'm going to write some letters to the chronicle this week to try and get it out there. I suggest everyone else do something similar.

I think the kids who are tenting are required to go, which is fine, just go in there and stand. Be absolutely silent, don't give ESPN any of what it wants. Maybe at some point they'll ask what's going on.

Have somebody ready to take a stand. Say that Michele Beadle advocating Grayson getting knocked out is not okay, that putting a headline up laughing and saying it's okay to slap Grayson in the face is not okay, and maybe telling Rece Davis that name calling is behavior far more associated with a petulant toddler than touching someone's leg with their foot.

Screw ESPN. This has become a witch hunt and it's really not okay. Swear to God, if we didn't live in NC, there would be an outside chance that by the end of the year that he could have an Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress cause of action against ESPN.
    Maybe we should ignore it or just concentrate on bad UNCheat signs or just deny ESPN's use of our bathrooms citing HB2 as a reason. (I mean, you did allude to the fact that we are in NC.) Anything to distract them from slamming Grayson is the intent here.

ricks

Recently I've also been in agreement with the ignore it and hopefully it will go away stance.

Until I read Al Featherston's excellent front page piece and saw him reference another recent ESPN columnist's response to ESPN's recent hysteria with Allen. Feather called it disgusting. I found it - it's still a video on NCAA's Men's Basketball home page. It was reprehensible: Jemele Hill says "make no mistake, Allen brought this all on himself because many consider him to be the most dirty player in college basketball and his 1 game suspension was a joke." She then takes a shot at coach K, while he is still recovering from back surgery, calling him "a little sanctimonious." Or that what ESPN is doing is ok because Duke is the school that everyone loves to hate. She takes another shot at Allen stating his "numbers are down" which should concern NBA scouts more than his child-like tantrums. And she ends it by saying that at the next level, Allen is going to "trip right into somebody's fist" as she gives a big smile. She literally propagates the message that it's ok to hit Grayson Allen in the face, because well, he deserves it. Just wow.

Seeing that makes me so angry I wish Duke would never play another game televised by ESPN.

This is way over the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3c2En7Ssc

But we need to beat Miami, and our team deserves our support. So being silent outside the Gameday tent is good, but please show up and cheer us to a win in Cameron. The only real way to stick it back to the haters is just when they think we're about to have an epic collapse, we turn it back around and win another championship, with Grayson the Final Four MOP. Feather is right - it could happen with this team.

Grayson can be stellar at point guard. He is still showing Wooden award talent (not having a Wooden season yet, obviously). But look what Grayson and our team did to Georgia Tech, who is looking decent so far in this ACC. Frank can be deadly as scoring guard. Jayson can defend, score, and do it all. He just needs to get back into team-first, patient, let the game come to him mode. Giles IS improving, and you see more from him each game. I think we will see the true Harry this year. Kennard is a team-first stud. Amile is getting healthy and will be back, hopefully very soon. The human double double has only gotten much better from the guy who stepped up when most needed to win the 2015 natty. And Grayson did that too, and is also much better from freshman Grayson. Matt can help give our team the toughness and leadership we need. He can help this team. Bolden is improving, getting more healthy, and has lottery potential. Chase plays hard and can give us good minutes. Vrank, Jack, and Javin all have unique skills, and could provide well above-average bench depth. We have some pretty good coaches.

The best way to stick it to the haters is to just win it all. We are Duke, and that is how we roll. Expect greatness, and earn everything. Looking forward to the part of the season that matters most. It's time.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 01-16-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Focus should be on what's best for Duke, K, the 2017 team, and Grayson. Can't stand ESPN, but a tone deaf hamfisted response may be short sighted and not efficiently advance Duke's best interests.

Full throated support for the team during the game is never a bad idea. Would be highly supportive of signs/chants drawing additional attention to Carolina academic hypocrisy at GameDay and/or the game.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    About to become favorite chant, "WE LOVE GRAYSON!" clap clap clap-clap-clap
    This is my favorite idea so far (albeit from another thread). I would want our support for Grayson to be high-energy instead of a silent protest, and I would prefer us to not bash ESPN or their personalities. Just be really loud in support of Grayson. Even if it's just a simple "Gray-son All-en *clap-clap clap-clap-clap*" all throughout the broadcast.

As for T-shirts, maybe something that expresses the idea that he's not an angel but he's not the (red) devil. Grayson face on a haloed angel (X through it), Grayson face on a red devil (X through it), Grayson the Blue Devil basketball player (Check mark)? Something along those lines?

I always favor making it about US and not about THEM. Negative never goes anywhere positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    ... I would prefer us to not bash ESPN or their personalities. Just be really loud in support of Grayson. Even if it's just a simple "Gray-son All-en *clap-clap clap-clap-clap*" all throughout the broadcast...
    Weeeellll, maybe a bit of fixed staring when Williams tries to mug for the crowd or Bilas tosses us a wave.

And how about a big old "WE ARE DUKE!" to the beat of "Let's Go Duke!" About a billion times would do it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I think there's a contest at the WWL to see who can suggest the harshest sentence. Michelle Beadle chimes in with this pearl:

“What have I said?” Beadle asked her colleagues on SportsNation. “Knock. Him. Out. Enough is enough, I don’t need him to be punished, I don’t need mommy and daddy to step in. I need an opponent to say ‘enough.’”
    http://uproxx.com/dimemag/michelle-b...grayson-allen/

If Skip were still at ESPN, I am sure he'd one up this with a call for Grayson's murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think there's a contest at the WWL to see who can suggest the harshest sentence. Michelle Beadle chimes in with this pearl:

“What have I said?” Beadle asked her colleagues on SportsNation. “Knock. Him. Out. Enough is enough, I don’t need him to be punished, I don’t need mommy and daddy to step in. I need an opponent to say ‘enough.’”

If Skip were still at ESPN, I am sure he'd one up this with a call for Grayson's murder.
    I think Skip would be the contrarian in all this and Duke fans would love he's reasonable take.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Advocating physical violence. Truly pathetic.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Advocating physical violence. Truly pathetic.
    Who the hell is Michelle Beadle? Why would you even listen to her?