Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

How can we constructively show support for Grayson amidst the media craziness?

The media coverage surrounding Grayson continues to get more and more insane... this was the most recent and perhaps most egregious example from SI's Facebook page, which seems to be excusing opposing players trying to hurt Grayson:
    Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 3.17.06 PM.jpg

Combined with the way he's getting attacked by opposing fans in an arguably unprecedented fashion, and the fact that Grayson doesn't appear to relish the "villain" role like a Laettner or Redick, I'm getting seriously concerned for Grayson's mental state. The once fiery competitor now seems sad on the basketball court. I would imagine if I was in his shoes knowing that there is a large community that supports him, even when all the noise seems to indicate the opposite, would mean a great deal.

With that in mind, does anyone have any ideas how we as a community could possibly do more to show Grayson our support? Posting on a message board is great and all, but the likelihood of any of our messages getting to Grayson is minimal at best. I like some of the talk I've seen about some sort of "protest" against ESPN's coverage during College Gameday next week. Any other ideas?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The media coverage surrounding Grayson continues to get more and more insane... this was the most recent and perhaps most egregious example from SI's Facebook page, which seems to be excusing opposing players trying to hurt Grayson:

Combined with the way he's getting attacked by opposing fans in an arguably unprecedented fashion, and the fact that Grayson doesn't appear to relish the "villain" role like a Laettner or Redick, I'm getting seriously concerned for Grayson's mental state. The once fiery competitor now seems sad on the basketball court. I would imagine if I was in his shoes knowing that there is a large community that supports him, even when all the noise seems to indicate the opposite, would mean a great deal.

With that in mind, does anyone have any ideas how we as a community could possibly do more to show Grayson our support? Posting on a message board is great and all, but the likelihood of any of our messages getting to Grayson is minimal at best. I like some of the talk I've seen about some sort of "protest" against ESPN's coverage during College Gameday next week. Any other ideas?
    Great post and great sentiment.

As far as being a community, I'm a lone alum many miles from Durham. I absolutely stick up for Grayson and all things Duke, for that matter, whenever anyone has something smartass to say about our program.

As far as those on campus now, I really like the idea of a College Gameday protest. That makes my Duk-blue-blood-pumping-heart swell up with pride!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Great post and great sentiment.

As far as being a community, I'm a lone alum many miles from Durham. I absolutely stick up for Grayson and all things Duke, for that matter, whenever anyone has something smartass to say about our program.

As far as those on campus now, I really like the idea of a College Gameday protest. That makes my Duk-blue-blood-pumping-heart swell up with pride!
    I, too, am an alum away from Durham... which is why I feel so sad and helpless watching one of our own get treated like this. And considering how social media is one of the primary problems driving this, I'm not sure if it's the way to counteract it, but it seems to be the only outlet those away from Durham have. Hence, frustration.

I support Grayson, right or wrong. As with all of us,. he makes mistakes. He is our guy. Period.

As long as he keeps it together, I will support him til the end. He did what he did, it's over, he was suspended, so let's get on with the season. He means a lot to the team, and we need his fire.
    Told the wife today it was good I was not at that game. I would be languishing in some Louisville jail cell about now. Sick of hearing these fans from schools that have done far worse to keep ragging on our guy..Makes me furious..

"Heavily Medicated For Your Protection"

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    As long as he keeps it together, I will support him til the end. He did what he did, it's over, he was suspended, so let's get on with the season. He means a lot to the team, and we need his fire.
    Told the wife today it was good I was not at that game. I would be languishing in some Louisville jail cell about now. Sick of hearing these fans from schools that have done far worse to keep ragging on our guy..Makes me furious..

"Heavily Medicated For Your Protection"
    It's beyond anything I've seen in all my years watching. I suspect it will just get worse. The sports media are salivating and are in a state of euphoria. And opposing players have picked up on the "okay-ness" to do anything possible to punish Grayson. As we saw today, that behavior is now celebrated by rabid fans an the drama whores that is the sports media.

In my opinion it's a recipe for someone to get seriously hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I still love the idea of "Free Grayson" t-shirts worn in Cameron and anywhere else. I'd make a substantial contribution to their manufacture if somebody knows how to get the job done.

Love, Ima

At game day wear a t-shirt that just has GRAYSON on the front; and perhaps a 3 on the back. Don't yell, boo, scream or act disrespectful... just stand in absolute silence. They will have to acknowledge you at some point. Keeping it simple, together and respectful says a lot about Grayson as well as Duke. Those shirts will also be visible during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    At game day wear a t-shirt that just has GRAYSON on the front; and perhaps a 3 on the back. Don't yell, boo, scream or act disrespectful... just stand in absolute silence. They will have to acknowledge you at some point. Keeping it simple, together and respectful says a lot about Grayson as well as Duke. Those shirts will also be visible during the game.
    Good idea. Best one I've seen so far!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I like the support idea, too.

I'd like to point out that he had 23 points today. He was 6-11, and made 9-12 from the free throw line.

I'm sure he's tired of the circus, but it's not like he's a fragile snowflake out there. The kid is tough.

My daughter and I had these shirts made up for when we attended our first game at Cameron in November. (MANY THANKS TO NEWTON_14 for marking that happen!) They were a little play on the the Laettner comparison last year and the "I Still Love Laettner" shirts that were made.

Little did we know these shirts would end up having an even deeper meaning as the season progressed.

I'd love to see more of these shirts made.

(My daughter chose to wear her Grayson jersey in this pic rather than her shirt that was just like mine.)

15940533_10158071691680051_8710875959979676369_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    I still love the idea of "Free Grayson" t-shirts worn in Cameron and anywhere else. I'd make a substantial contribution to their manufacture if somebody knows how to get the job done.

Love, Ima

Like this:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...ber=2039299824

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    I love this. Not only would this show ESPN that one of the largest fanbases in College Basketball isn't happy with how they've covered this issue, which could have a legitimate effect on them, it would also send a loud and clear message to Grayson how much this fan base supports him. How can we make this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    I'll bet you can find them in bulk for under 10 bucks. The GTHC shirt that I got from a DBR poster some years back was only 6 bucks, I think. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I'll bet you can find them in bulk for under 10 bucks. The GTHC shirt that I got from a DBR poster some years back was only 6 bucks, I think. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

ricks
    You probably can but on this short notice and the ability to customize, like this (http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...ber=2039299824), and if we order 72 or more, the price drops to like $14.24 per...

The people who go to Gameday really should do some kind of protest. Like turn around when Jay Williams starts talking, or just be silent when the camera pans to them. Something should happen. I'm going to write some letters to the chronicle this week to try and get it out there. I suggest everyone else do something similar.

I think the kids who are tenting are required to go, which is fine, just go in there and stand. Be absolutely silent, don't give ESPN any of what it wants. Maybe at some point they'll ask what's going on.

Have somebody ready to take a stand. Say that Michele Beadle advocating Grayson getting knocked out is not okay, that putting a headline up laughing and saying it's okay to slap Grayson in the face is not okay, and maybe telling Rece Davis that name calling is behavior far more associated with a petulant toddler than touching someone's leg with their foot.

Screw ESPN. This has become a witch hunt and it's really not okay. Swear to God, if we didn't live in NC, there would be an outside chance that by the end of the year that he could have an Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress cause of action against ESPN.

I think the easiest response would be for students to stay home and refuse to be dancing monkeys for ESPN. Pretty simple really. The second easiest would be to show up but refuse to dance.

Personally I think this subject is like a dog turd on the ground. The more you mess with it the more it stinks.
    I think the students should ignore it and act like other colleges do on game day. That would mean t-shirts and signs supporting GA would be fine but giving the silent treatment and turning their backs is not respectful. When they go low its best to stay high! I think I may have heard someone say that before.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Personally I think this subject is like a dog turd on the ground. The more you mess with it the more it stinks.
    I think the students should ignore it and act like other colleges do on game day. That would mean t-shirts and signs supporting GA would be fine but giving the silent treatment and turning their backs is not respectful. When they go low its best to stay high! I think I may have heard someone say that before.
    Agreed.

I really, really hate ESPN, and hope they get their karmic comeuppance for this bullwanker, but I'm increasingly convinced it's just not possible for us to be what gives it to them. I think T-shirts is probably the best move we can make without making things worse.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Question. Can anyone attend the Gameday Session? Free admission to anyone that shows up or what?