Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mid-Night Madness

Tonight the college season begins with teams having Mid-Night Madness.

How come Duke doesn't do this?

Coach K

I just don't think that K has the excitment like Roy does

K is a way better coach, but Roy has a little more fun than K
    Last edited by -jk; 10-12-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Un-bolded; it's annoying when it's the entire post.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I just don't think that K has the excitment like Roy does

K is a way better coach, but Roy has a little more fun than K
    IRRC Duke has only done the Mid-Night Madness gig once during K's tenure. Also, IRRC, that one time is the only time at Duke. It just has never been a "Duke thing" like some other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    IRRC Duke has only done the Mid-Night Madness gig once during K's tenure. Also, IRRC, that one time is the only time at Duke. It just has never been a "Duke thing" like some other schools.
    I can remember at least two Duke midnight madnesses in the past 15 years since I've lived here. One was October 1997 when the Killer B's (plus Avery) were freshmen. I was away at the beach and fell asleep watching the ESPN broadcast where I was hoping for glimpses of Duke. The other one I remember that I DID go to was October 1999, the first look at the big freshman class that included JWill/Boozer/Dunleavy.

FYI midnight practice or first practice of the year is no longer held at midnight. The NCAA changed the rule and now allows practice to start at 7 pm local time. According to Andy Katz this was done for fear that too late a night was putting people on the roads at a difficult hour.

There was a midnight madness my freshman year (99) with Mike D., J-Will, Boozer, etc all as freshmen as well. There was also one in 03 with the big class of JJ, Shav, Sheldon, etc... It seems to happen when there's a very large freshman class who needs the experience in Cameron. Also, it might be to make sure the current students (fans) know who all the new players are and feel a connection with the team. That has been my sense, anyway...

There was indeed a Midnight Madness in 2003, but it was Deng's freshman (and, of course, only) season, not that of the Shelden-JJ-Dock-Shav-Lee class.

i can't wait for the season wish i could get some sort of video on the practices.

What is the big deal about MM?

I think Midnight Madness is highly overrated and serves a limited purpose especially for a program like Duke. It juices up the fans and is to their benefit much more than it is for the players. It isn't like Duke fans need any more enthusiasm for b-ball.

The memory is the first to go...!

Question Midnight Madness

My daughter and (now son-in-law) are Duke graduates (2001). Neither of them was a great sports fan (much to my chagrin) prior to attending Duke. Midnight Madness '97 (Avery and the killer B's) was their true initiation to Cameron Craziness. It cemented their undying love of Duke BB -- in some ways contributed to their continual financial support of Duke.

Camping out in tents in the freezing cold, sweating from all pores in every game played at Cameron, etc. They continue to bleed Duke blue and watch every game with exhilaration and/or agony.

So...my question. What's the deal with Duke not embracing Midnight Madness. I've learned that student attendance and enthusiasm has not been up to snuff in the past few years. Is there a correlation? I think so. There might even be some statistics to show that a few of Duke's misses with possible anticipated players might have been turned around.

Any thoughts from you mighty DBR posters?

Reason 1,353 that I am glad I am not a UNC fan

Anyone else catch the SC v UNC football game?

Well, they showed a clip from UNC's March Madness, and I once again was shocked at the depth of UNC lameness.

Choreographed Broadway style dance moves by players?

Roy grinning and dancing like a big dorky tool box?

Seriously, I would be ashamed to be a fan.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

We might not have midnight madness this year, but the freshmen students are definitely in for a treat next week:
    http://osaf.studentaffairs.duke.edu/leadership/10_22_07

Get to watch an open practice and talk with the coaches over pizza. Word is that Coach K will be miked up (can't verify that though). Might be good practice for the new profanity related rules this year. Excitement is brewing, Cameron will be packed and loud.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Hold the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Anyone else catch the SC v UNC football game?

Well, they showed a clip from UNC's March Madness, and I once again was shocked at the depth of UNC lameness.

Choreographed Broadway style dance moves by players?

Roy grinning and dancing like a big dorky tool box?

Seriously, I would be ashamed to be a fan.
    I agree but it doesn't have to be that way. Duke should have one though for the fans and recruits. Why not just do player introductions, a nice layup line, some shooting drills, and a brief scrimmage. Leave the over the top production values for the guys in powder blue Just have the band and the cheerleaders.

I understand that the Blue-White game has traditionally been the kick off to Duke Basketball every year, but I agree with some of the posters above. Having a Midnight Madness would be pretty cool, and I would definitely attend every year. I think whereinthehell's idea is excellent. Having player intros, some shooting drills or contest between the players, and an hour scrimmage or so would be a great night, not only for the fans and incoming recruits but for the players as well. If they couldn't find some fun in that, with thousands of screaming fans living and dying with their every move, then something is clearly wrong with them, IMO. I only say this because someone mentioned above that Midnight Madness is just annoying for Duke's players. I find that hard to believe.

At any rate, I think it would be pretty cool to have in Durham each October. However, if it never happens, I will be just fine. It hasn't been a Duke staple in the past so I guess it doesn't really matter if it becomes one in the future, either. We've done pretty well without it under K, I'd say

But, on the other hand, it does seem as if recruits enjoy seeing the schools they are interested in producing these types of events. Did anybody see Kentucky's Midnight Madness event? How could a player say no to that type of enviroment? Well, besides the whole tree-top, backwooded vibe West Virginia's sister state encompasses...

I agree with Whereinthehellami. At least have something the fans can come and watch.

Also I think Mid-night Madness would be something great to bring players to, let them experience the excitement of Cameron.

I was at the MM in '03 - actually I believe it was officially dubbed "Lights, Cameron, Basketball." I am not sure if anyone else noticed - but Cameron was not very full. In fact it was pretty empty. Downstairs was pretty full, but there was about 3/4 of the upstairs empty.

Without a packed house MM loses a lot of its luster. I always thought that was the reason we didnt keep it going.

MM is lame, no matter how you slice it

I don't think Duke needs a gimmick to generate excitement.

The start of practice is the start of practice. The big show is the Blue-White game, after the coaches have had a chance to work with the players.

JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    I think Midnight Madness is highly overrated and serves a limited purpose especially for a program like Duke. It juices up the fans and is to their benefit much more than it is for the players. It isn't like Duke fans need any more enthusiasm for b-ball.

Bingo.

I understand that we don't have very many actual fans from Durham, as being a Duke fan there is an exception rather than a rule, but it baffles me that Cameron would sit empty for Midnight Madness. To be honest, that makes me sad. And it was that way a lot last season, as well. Many, many seats sitting unoccupied during games.

Hopefully this changes this season.