Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    I am all for supporting Grayson and defending him. However, and this isn't directed personally at you Ima, I think we should consider how the public in general, i.e. non-Duke fans, sees our messages. I don't want to particularly relate the common personal fouls that Grayson has committed (per the rulebook) seen in the same light as PJ Hairston's acts that were responded to with FREE PJ T-shirts by UNC fans. If I were an opposing fan I would see the FREE GRAYSON shirts as just another example of whiny, over privileged Duke fans who just want their star back at any cost. Psychologically, we'd be seen as telling people what they should think about the Allen situation with that message. It seems that the general public is becoming more and more apathetic about the situation as time goes by; I don't think we want to do too much to stir it back up. I'd love it if Wahoo2000 or Packman74/Packman97 would weigh in on this. I personally would rather see #personalfoul and #rule89 shirts.

Calling ESPN (or FSPN or whatever else) out for making a mountain out of common personal fouls (fake news) is what I would prefer. Holding them accountable is what I would prefer. Asking Jay Williams and Jay Bilas why they're making such a big deal out of personal fouls and whether they are getting pressure from the top, perhaps the CEO, would be great. Given that Seth Greenberg has been surprisingly reasonable recently on this topic I don't think I would push him too much on it. I personally think Seth is just a contrarian, that now that everyone has jumped on the Allen/Duke is evil bandwagon he takes the opposite stance.

Just my $(-)0.02 (that's right, I'll pay you 2 cents for having read my opinion)
    Hey, I've been called out!

All I need to know is how UNC fans feel about it...if it makes them mad, Grayson Allen needs to keep doing it. I'm pretty up front that while I enjoy seeing Duke win (when not playing the Pack) your main purpose to me is to piss on Carolina and their fans So, in some respects I enjoy seeing Allen be the villian.

That said, as a neutral observer it's fracking ridiculous. The biggest problem as I see it is that "tripping" is one of those fouls that has always been in "poor taste". I think most folks would have far less problem with Allen getting into a shouting match with someone and then each starts throwing haymakers. Fighting is something you do because you are a "man", tripping is something you do because you are a [______] (insert various derogatories). Part of it is that folks love to hate on great white Duke players (for various reasons), but part of it is also the type of foul and the repetition of that foul. At the end of the day, I would rather see Duke play with Allen then without and think that other teams get away with far more (see Carolina cheating over the span of four decades). To this point Allen has been punished more for tripping a player more than the entirety of UNC's athletic department has been punished for running thousands of athletes through completely fake courses. It seems that justice is really messed up in this case.

I say do what you want and outside fans be darned...besides, that's what water cooler talk is all about. If we all played nice and got along, the Triangle wouldn't be a paradise for college fans.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    To this point Allen has been punished more for tripping a player more than the entirety of UNC's athletic department has been punished for running thousands of athletes through completely fake courses. It seems that justice is really messed up in this case.
    Preach it, brother.

Now, if only we could figure out how to fit that sentiment on a poster-sized sign for GameDay.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Preach it, brother.

Now, if only we could figure out how to fit that sentiment on a poster-sized sign for GameDay.
    How about something like: Overt cheating OK, Impeding player not OK. (In shorter terms somehow)

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    How about something like: Overt cheating OK, Impeding player not OK. (In shorter terms somehow)

ricks
    GA, OMG! UNCheating? Wuh?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    For many years, Jason was one of my favorite players. I had him in class, got to know him well, and really enjoyed watching his skill set mature up and through the 2001 National Championship. One thing that always bothered me was his choice not to work on free throws. That was an obvious area of weakness, and he could have created a major change in the outcome of 2002 NC had he done so. But he knew he was going hi in the draft, and that seemed to be all that mattered.

We all know what happened in Chicago. How Jason has the cojones to criticize any other player for immaturity and bad decision making after that is beyond my comprehension. The kid should be kneeling and thanking God every day that he is still alive! I know he went through a rough time (although I haven't read his book) and that in all likelihood, he still struggles with what he lost. But that was entirely his fault.

Honestly from a smart and knowledge analyst (who did or didn't go to Duke), his behavior after the last tripping incident was beyond the pale. No one else (except Seth Greenberg of course) had as crazed a reaction as Jason. I don't expect him to defend everything Duke Blue; Jay Bilas certainly doesn't. But I do expect him to be even handed in his professional role.

Jason fell from near the top of my all-time favorite list to the bottom. He has a long way to go to prove that HE has the maturity to handle his role as a commentator. I dread the idea that Game Day is going to be at Duke because that means Jason will be there. May he watch Jay Bilas and learn to behavior.

Go Devils!
    You should read his memoir. Brutally honest about his shortcomings. Quite a fascinating book.

What do you do when some moron blogger unfairly criticizes your kid?

Probably my favorite Duke parent ever has the answer:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...HLS?li=BBnba9I

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Another reason we should be careful what we post about our own Duke players. Lot's of people read this site. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

I love it!

A nice piece by Steve Weissman from the N&O, "Jeff Capel says scrutiny of Grayson Allen is ‘uncharted territory.’"

From the article, Coach Capel says,
    “Obviously there’s a lot of other stuff with Grayson,” Capel said Monday. “I don’t think it’s just on the road. It is at home with the intense scrutiny because the scrutiny is not coming just from the fans. The scrutiny is coming from media. That’s the reality of the situation. There are things that have been said in the media about him that are not right just like some of the things that Grayson has done have not been right.

“So you are dealing with a situation ... that in all my years of watching and being around basketball ... I’ve never seen this before. I especially have never seen it directed toward a college kid. So it’s uncharted territory.”