Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snow is here!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Other than the obvious, what else would you think I have to look out for?

ricks
    The odors?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he's an esteemed local lad, but indeed he can. One of my favorite Weather Channel moments came years ago when Jim was ultra hyping a snowpocalypse to come in NYC, he was
    standing in Times Square, and basically the whole thing fizzled...and guys were heckling him out of passing cars "Hey Jim, where's the snow?, nice snow storm, Jim!"
    Cantore has nothing on Greg Fishel, of WRAL-TV here in Raleigh. He loves bad weather so much, it's painful.

Fishel's specialty is seeing non-existent tornadoes on radar. WRAL will pre-empt local programming for six hours because an echo bow on radar suggests there might possibly under the right circumstances be a tornado somewhere a hundred miles from Raleigh.

And of course, there rarely is.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cantore has nothing on Greg Fishel, of WRAL-TV here in Raleigh. He loves bad weather so much, it's painful.

Fishel's specialty is seeing non-existent tornadoes on radar. WRAL will pre-empt local programming for six hours because an echo bow on radar suggests there might possibly under the right circumstances be a tornado somewhere a hundred miles from Raleigh.

Fishel drives me crazy with his obvious glee any time there is a chance for snow -- no matter how much inconvenience and misery it brings to the vast majority of his viewers.

His forecasts are usually over the top ... this time, after days of telling us how much snow this event would drop on Raleigh and the Triangle, it pretty much fizzled -- we got just over an inch in southern Durham. Most of Wake County got 1-2 inches.

I know that the 8-10 inch forecasts did come true -- for the areas north of us. Reminds me of Phil Conners in Groundhog Day -- he correctly forecasts the blizzard, but had it hitting in the wrong place (it was supposed to hit Altoona!)

PS My favorite moment in the whole WRAL coverage came Friday night, when WRAL had reporters out interviewing people about the preparations for the coming blizzard. They interviewed a guy who said he was doing nothing -- "I've lived here for 20 years and every year they predict all this snow and it always fizzles." That was a guy who knew what he was talking about.

Dolly and Rod sing it so well

With such cold temps, roads here in Asheville remain treacherous where they aren't fully drying every day. In my neighborhood, there were about three hours in which we were able to get out and about. Slick as glass again this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Talk about hot buns.
    Or, a grilled weiner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I can't believe Greg Fishel is still around! He must be like 80 by now. He was WRAL's meteorologist before I was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    I can't believe Greg Fishel is still around! He must be like 80 by now. He was WRAL's meteorologist before I was in high school.
    Fishel's actually pretty good, and well respected in the meteorology world. I grew up in Dur'm, now live in Montgomery County, MD - both notoriously hard places (Mid-Atlantic Piedmont) to forecast nor'easters' winter impacts. The snow/ice/rain lines are so touchy - a few miles wiggle here or there in the track can mean several inches difference or just a cold rain.

I mostly saw that growing up as the line between Roxboro and Bahama and Dur'm. They usually got the best snow. We got a little snow with a lot of ice mixed in - rarely deep, but it made for some good sledding - love that icy crust! Just not the heavy freezing rain...

(Caveat: A former colleague of mine is now a meteorologist at WRAL, though I haven't discussed Fishel with him.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Fishel's actually pretty good, and well respected in the meteorology world. I grew up in Dur'm, now live in Montgomery County, MD - both notoriously hard places (Mid-Atlantic Piedmont) to forecast nor'easters' winter impacts. The snow/ice/rain lines are so touchy - a few miles wiggle here or there in the track can mean several inches difference or just a cold rain.

I mostly saw that growing up as the line between Roxboro and Bahama and Dur'm. They usually got the best snow. We got a little snow with a lot of ice mixed in - rarely deep, but it made for some good sledding - love that icy crust! Just not the heavy freezing rain...

(Caveat: A former colleague of mine is now a meteorologist at WRAL, though I haven't discussed Fishel with him.)

-jk
    I didn't think he was that old. He'll be 60 next month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Fishel
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Some of were in high school earlier than others...

-jk

I may have been exaggerating for comedic effect... But I really was surprised to see his name, if only because I haven't thought of him for at least 30 years.

High of 72 predicted in Raleigh today, a far cry from the 9F (or thereabouts ) from Sunday's approximate low. For those desiring higher math, 72 is indeed 8 X 9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

69 here in MoCo today. High tomorrow at 12:01 am... Brr.

-jk

One of my college friends married someone who knew Greg, and we were privileged enough to meet Greg over a beer once.

I'm a Greg Fishel fan, and he did not disappoint in person. He's got a great sense of humour, or at the very least, one I really appreciate.