Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Stunning news ... but IF it's just four weeks, it's not too bad. Especially since I suspect he will be able to watch video and have input during the time he comes back. I share Philaduke's optimism -- K comes back in early February when Grayson has his issues straightened out and Harry and Marques are healthy enough to be major factors ... that's when Duke turns it on.

Two other observations:

-- Haters are gonna hate, so I don't really care whether the games count for K or for Capel. But I hope Duke announces BEFORE the games what they are going to do. That way, the haters won't be able to suggest that the decision was based on how well or how poorly the team did without him.

-- Amazing the Georgia Tech connection. The first game K missed in 1995 was a game at Georgia Tech. He also missed the second Tech game that year (actually it was the third -- the two teams met in Hawaii in December that season). His one missed game since then was last year's game at Georgia Tech. And, now, the second game he misses will be Georgia Tech. That will be four missed Georgia Tech game in his career.

-- I hope the team reacts as they did a year ago, not in 1995. In '95, Duke had already started its slide (losing at home to a bad Clemson team in K's last game). They went to Atlanta without K and were non-competitive, starting a long slide. A year ago, Duke went to Atlanta in bad shape, having lost four of five and not playing well (and having just dropped out of the poll). Capel led Duke to a tough 80-71 win that kickstarted a five-game win streak, including the wins over Virginia, Louisville and at UNC. Not sure if he did anything different or better than K -- all starters played 30-plus minutes, but he did give Chase Jeter eight minutes (he had played a total of six minutes in the previous month).

It will be interesting to see how Capel -- who is probably our next head coach -- handles things in K's absence.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    I agree, I have that feeling as well. That despite injuries to 3 potential lottery pick freshmen, and an injury to preseason POY Grayson Allen, and an indefinite suspension to Allen, and a leave of absence by Coach K, and yada yada yada, I am hoping that come February/March we'll start rolling on all cylinders and become the powerhouse that people thought we'd be back in November. And while everyone gushes over Villanova and UCLA all year long, I am hoping that by the time it really matters, it'll be too late for people to game plan for Duke. I think if we can make it to Phoenix this year, it could be one of the greatest accomplishments of Coach K's career, despite the talent that we have. Any one of these setbacks could derail a very good team's season. The fact that we've had all of these setbacks, and still sit at No. 8 with only 2 losses (one being on a last second shot to a team who is now No. 3 and the other coming at the hands of a team who is now No. 21) I think speaks volumes about our team. I still have hope for a great season!

Also loved your use of Rudyard Kipling's If—. I agree that it seems appropriate for this season.
    I'll have what he/she's having!

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Yeah, WTF? I'd never pegged Fraschilla as a secret Duke hater, but that is pretty petty and largely irrelevant.
    Now that you've seen it, dig back into his tweets if you want to see more. He is always taking shots at K, I am not sure of the reason.

Get well, K.

Turning the page, I think Capel is up to the task and, trying to be optimistic, I think he is far more likely to play a deeper bench and not yank these kids as soon as they screw up a few possessions. I am trying to convince myself that Capel at the helm will speed the development of the freshmen.

This season really has turned into a soap opera. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Stunning news ... but IF it's just four weeks, it's not too bad. Especially since I suspect he will be able to watch video and have input during the time he comes back. I share Philaduke's optimism -- K comes back in early February when Grayson has his issues straightened out and Harry and Marques are healthy enough to be major factors ... that's when Duke turns it on.
    FIFY
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting that K will be coaching Wednesday, then having surgery Friday. Hope Cameron is packed with well-wishers for his last game.. for awhile.
    Bob Harris will be honored at Wednesday's game. I'm thinking there will also be some recognition on the passing of special assistant and former assistant coach, Colonel Rogers, a long-time Coach K friend.

For most of us who might need back surgery, we'd probably wind up working at our jobs right up until surgery, then have to recover from the surgery at home. Why would coaching be much different?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I found IC to be relatively tame -- a number of wiseacre comments about who gets credit for the wins (and the losses).
    I think this is understandable given how many vacated wins they are about to suffer.

Best wishes to Coach K. Lower back issues can be very painful or even debilitating. My father is having lower back surgery tomorrow, by coincidence, due to disc compression issues, and he's been very much looking forward to it and relief from the pain. Though the docs are very reserved about how long he'll be out of action (dad also very active and similar age as K).

I think this event will be very different than '95-'96 simply because he's been through it before and will therefore plan-prep better and we have an experienced head coach ready to take over.

Two other observations:

-- Haters are gonna hate, so I don't really care whether the games count for K or for Capel. But I hope Duke announces BEFORE the games what they are going to do. That way, the haters won't be able to suggest that the decision was based on how well or how poorly the team did without him.

-- Amazing the Georgia Tech connection. The first game K missed in 1995 was a game at Georgia Tech. He also missed the second Tech game that year (actually it was the third -- the two teams met in Hawaii in December that season). His one missed game since then was last year's game at Georgia Tech. And, now, the second game he misses will be Georgia Tech. That will be four missed Georgia Tech game in his career.

-- I hope the team reacts as they did a year ago, not in 1995. In '95, Duke had already started its slide (losing at home to a bad Clemson team in K's last game). They went to Atlanta without K and were non-competitive, starting a long slide. A year ago, Duke went to Atlanta in bad shape, having lost four of five and not playing well (and having just dropped out of the poll). Capel led Duke to a tough 80-71 win that kickstarted a five-game win streak, including the wins over Virginia, Louisville and at UNC. Not sure if he did anything different or better than K -- all starters played 30-plus minutes, but he did give Chase Jeter eight minutes (he had played a total of six minutes in the previous month).
    It will be interesting to see how Capel -- who is probably our next head coach -- handles things in K's absence.
    During that game, didn't Coach Capel use the 1-3-1 zone for a good part of the game. My memory is not as good as it used to be. My wife used to be amazed that I could not only remember how many strokes I had on all 18 holes but I could remember what the other 3 guys had on every hole. Now I'm lucky to know what I had on every hole. I'm confident Coach Capel can lead us to victory. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    During that game, didn't Coach Capel use the 1-3-1 zone for a good part of the game. My memory is not as good as it used to be. My wife used to be amazed that I could not only remember how many strokes I had on all 18 holes but I could remember what the other 3 guys had on every hole. Now I'm lucky to know what I had on every hole. I'm confident Coach Capel can lead us to victory. GoDuke!
    They had planned and practiced only zone. First half wasn't going so great. He decided on the fly to scrap it and try m2m. It worked. Team was much more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It didn't take long, did it?
    ...and Dougie in on the action too:

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 1m1 minute ago
    Does Pete Gaudet get any upcoming loses on his record too? #Duke

I'm sure Jeff is a capable bench coach, but this won't help the practice deficit that already exist because of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    ...and Dougie in on the action too:

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 1m1 minute ago
    Does Pete Gaudet get any upcoming loses on his record too? #Duke
    Doug is alarmingly in-original.

We are in Capel-ble hands.
    Love, Ima

It's not up to duke. it's up to the NCAA, and the record will likely count against Capel (assuming he is coaching the game). K has always held the '95 losses should be on his record since he is ultimately responsible. I highly doubt duke would not honor his wishes if they had the choice.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    We are in Capel-ble hands.
    Love, Ima
    Agreed. Coach Capel and the rest of the staff are outstanding and will be up to the challenge. I expect they will utilize the bench a bit more liberally.

Best wishes to Coach K. Get well soon. Can't wait to see you write the next brilliant chapter in your career and quiet all the haters -- yet again.

I think a formal leave of absence is distinguishable from a few sick days as far as allocating wins is concerned, no hypocrisy at all as far as the Gaudet situation is concerned.

In any event, if K would been credited with the Gaudet period it would have reduced his career winning percentage a bit, but he'd have a few more wins toward 1100.

I suffered on-and-off back pain for years and finally opted for a discectomy about 15 years ago when it became unbearable and started to effect my quality of life. The procedure itself was outpatient and not that big a deal. I think it took about an hour. I was also back at work within a week, but it took a full year for complete recovery. And by that, I mean it took a year before I felt comfortable playing softball, golf and tennis and there was no pain whatsoever. However, for 6-8 weeks after the surgery I went through physical therapy which included weight exercises to strengthen my core, stretching, radio-therapy, and massages. To this day my workout includes specific weight training and core strengthening exercises such as planks. Coach K is as disciplined as anyone and has the best care around. Although I was about 35 and substantially younger than Coach K is now, I have no doubt he will have have a quick recovery.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Let's say Capel gets it rolling with these guys...will it help to have K step back in? I know that sounds ridiculous, "Will K help?" but I think it's relevant, it will represent yet another disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Odd coincidence that the game K missed last season was also against GT. Capel will have a nice audition to see how he handles leading the team for an extended period.
    That's the only royal blue lining. Far from ideal circumstances, but a baptism of fire for Capel.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    It's not up to duke. it's up to the NCAA, and the record will likely count against Capel (assuming he is coaching the game). K has always held the '95 losses should be on his record since he is ultimately responsible. I highly doubt duke would not honor his wishes if they had the choice.
    I would prefer to think of it these games counting FOR Coach Capel, not against him.