Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you, Oz one. I just said another little prayer.

(GTHC and your physicians! )
    I will bristle a bit at the bolded part as our younger daughter will finish medical school there in May 9with a rather small debt) after she has "Match Day" in mid-March to find out where she'll be doing her residency in pediatrics for the next 3 years. She and I think the School of Medicine faculty has been excellent and the medical school/residency ratings are fairly high, enabling her to interview at some high level programs and she may even stay there for that training (but will likely rate WFUMC even higher on her "match" list, especially considering one of our regular poster's wife is on the faculty there-but I digress ).

That being said, so no one infers that my ugly edifice on Mount Hatemore might be showing signs of softening and decay, I'll modify your mantra a bid:

GTHc, GTH (but let their School of Medicine/hospital system remain intact)!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 3m3 minutes ago
    Coach K's back surgery was successful. Dr. Allan Friedman: "Coach is in terrific physical shape and we expect a full recovery.”
    Great news! If I can't beat out fuse for Bob Harris' spots in the press box/crows' nest/broadcast booth, can I at least have a couple chances for video/face time cussing at a couple of my "favorite" (cough) refs from the Duke bench a few times while Coach K recovers?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by jseelke View Post
    Ok, you make a fair point...Still, I wish the the Athletic Dept at the time would have been more up front with things. As other posts noted, it seems (even if it's not the case, perception is important) that Gaudet was given the wins/loses after he happened to struggle during the year. As I mentioned before, I don't recall finding out that Gaudet was credited with the record til much later - honestly, it was around when Coach K was going for the all-time record in wins that I may have first realized it. Twitter and the spread of news is very different in this day than in 1995. You are right - Gaudet didn't get a bad of a deal as Gottleib or Franchella or others may think. Still, the perception looks bad. We can't go back into the past and reverse how it was done in 1995. But personally I would love Kevin White or someone officially (not just the NCAA stats guy on twitter) to explain the reasoning on why K will get credit for the wins/loses this year and how it's different than the situation in 1995. White may get up there and say, "Look I wasn't there in 1995 so I can't speak to the reasoning" - which is fair.

As for the road recruiters, I know that there is recruiting happening during the season - but both Amaker and Brey ended up taking head coaching jobs soon after that season...Why wasn't it seen as a trial for them to be a HC as opposed to Gaudet?
    The flawed assumption here is that there is anything, ANYTHING, that the conspiracy-minded haters wont jump on.

This is simply a game where your enemies make up the rules as they go along, and are not hobbled by consistency. As several excellent posts here show, there has been no upside for anyone in the Duke community as to how those games were counted, and Duke did everything they could to be above board.

It's like a murder investigation where the victim is in front of the investigators shouting that he is actually alive, but the investigation goes on.

Had Duke done the opposite, it would have been Duke padding K's resume to make it easier for him to catch Dean Smith in career wins.

It just doesn't matter what we do-- and also, it just doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    You can't change some Tar Heels way of thinking. Most won't do anything but bash Duke. That comes from years of being jealous of Duke's success under Coach K. Now that it's been proven that the fraud that took place at holeville, was begun under saint dean, we at least have a comeback. It's hard to be successful against cheats, but Duke has done really well at it. GoDuke!
    That comeback is like a get-out-BS-free card. I don't even have to mention it to holes usually-- often when they're dinging Duke I just start smirking, and I can tell they know what I'm getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Nothing against Coach Capel - he's done an awesome job as an assistant and as a recruiter. I'm not 100 percent certain he will be the successor to Coach K. I'm a big fan of Mike Brey, who has really proven himself at Notre Dame.
    Brey would be crazy to leave ND. The program has momentum, he's well-paid and likely to improve on that (I imagine), and he's carving out his own legacy.

Come here and expectations are 7 levels past absurd.

I'm totally gearing myself up for adjusting my expectations of future coaches. What K has done at Duke is, by any rational standard, miraculous.

Coach K's back surgery was successful. Dr. Allan Friedman: "Coach is in terrific physical shape and we expect a full recovery.”
    Thank you for updating. I am very relieved and am hopeful that Coach K will now be out of pain and on his way back.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I will bristle a bit at the bolded part as our younger daughter will finish medical school there in May 9with a rather small debt) after she has "Match Day" in mid-March to find out where she'll be doing her residency in pediatrics for the next 3 years. She and I think the School of Medicine faculty has been excellent and the medical school/residency ratings are fairly high, enabling her to interview at some high level programs and she may even stay there for that training (but will likely rate WFUMC even higher on her "match" list, especially considering one of our regular poster's wife is on the faculty there-but I digress ).

That being said, so no one infers that my ugly edifice on Mount Hatemore might be showing signs of softening and decay, I'll modify your mantra a bid:

GTHc, GTH (but let their School of Medicine/hospital system remain intact)!
    I will accept the chastisement as appropriate. I have been treated at the facility that is attached to the football palace in the past and I can absolutely state that I survived. 😎

I will accept the chastisement as appropriate. I have been treated at the facility that is attached to the football palace and basketball dump in the past and I can absolutely state that I survived. ��
    Additional clarification. Glad to hear you survived.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Additional clarification. Glad to hear you survived.
    Clarification accepted from the honorable member enshrined on Mt. Hatemore.

Clarification accepted from the honorable member enshrined on Mt. Hatemore.
    I did hesitate a moment before adding the basketball dump when you named the football palace, considering "they were not named in the ANOA (cough)," but, now that MBB and FB are clearly mentioned in the amended ANOA, I figured they were both fair game now.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I had a colleague that attended a few meetings with one of these while she was out for hip surgery.

Maybe Coach K can leverage the technology to get back to coaching even sooner. Would look great on the court in Cameron, scowling at the refs.

Attachment 7038

Attachment 7039
    I want to see a Coach K hologram so that he can still work the refs . . . a la Tupac's 2012 Coachella "performance."
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    We all need to send our best wishes and prayers to this man. He has done so much for the team and players over the years and deserves the very best.
    Not only has Coach K done much for the team and players, but for the University Our University) as well.

When I matriculated in 1979, Duke was a solid 2nd-3rd 10 University. Academically it ranked right around Notre Dame (which became my second choice). Since that time, Duke has vaulted in the rankings over some 15 to 20 institutions. There seem to be 8 schools consistently listed in the top 5 these days, and Duke is one of them. How does this happen?

I think the notoriety, attention, money brought to the school by the Basketball team has made this happen. Ironically, the spring i was making my decision, Notre Dame lost to Duke in the Final 4. Don't think this student didn't notice

The fame and fortune for the University brought by 5 National Championships, numerous more Final Fours and the ambassadorship of Coach K has helped make the movement of Duke to the very top academic ranks possible.

We owe Coach K thanks for more than excellence on the court. (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Would it count as to the number of coaches we have on the bench?

It would give Coach K a chance to see all the video feeds from every camera around the court! A bit like the wizard of Oz, Coach K in Command Central with dozens of video screens ...
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!

Virtual K

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I want to see a Coach K hologram so that he can still work the refs . . . a la Tupac's 2012 Coachella "performance."
    How about this - have used it in the hospital setting

intouch-vita.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Not only has Coach K done much for the team and players, but for the University Our University) as well.

When I matriculated in 1979, Duke was a solid 2nd-3rd 10 University. Academically it ranked right around Notre Dame (which became my second choice). Since that time, Duke has vaulted in the rankings over some 15 to 20 institutions. There seem to be 8 schools consistently listed in the top 5 these days, and Duke is one of them. How does this happen?

I think the notoriety, attention, money brought to the school by the Basketball team has made this happen. Ironically, the spring i was making my decision, Notre Dame lost to Duke in the Final 4. Don't think this student didn't notice

The fame and fortune for the University brought by 5 National Championships, numerous more Final Fours and the ambassadorship of Coach K has helped make the movement of Duke to the very top academic ranks possible.

We owe Coach K thanks for more than excellence on the court. (IMHO)
    No doubt that Duke's basketball success, under Coach K's reign, has created name recognition for Duke all over the country (and even much of the world). Also, no doubt, this higher profile has helped immeasurably with fund raising, applications for admission, etc., that has increased the quality and prestige of the university. It would truly be hard to overestimate the impact that K has had on Duke.

Of course, it has also brought out the "haters" around the country and elsewhere. I never know when I tell people that I went to Duke, if they will say (1) "Wow, you went to Duke? Great school." or (2) "I hate Duke. Can't stand them." I've gotten both reactions. LOL

One more time for the world!

BTTT

Any new word on Coach K and his recuperation?

alteran summed it up perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    The flawed assumption here is that there is anything, ANYTHING, that the conspiracy-minded haters wont jump on.

This is simply a game where your enemies make up the rules as they go along, and are not hobbled by consistency.

It's like a murder investigation where the victim is in front of the investigators shouting that he is actually alive, but the investigation goes on.

It just doesn't matter what we do-- and also, it just doesn't matter.
    This is perfectly stated. Nothing will satisfy the haters. Nothing. May as well do what's best for the team and have them hate us since they'll hate us regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    This is perfectly stated. Nothing will satisfy the haters. Nothing. May as well do what's best for the team and have them hate us since they'll hate us regardless.
    This.

I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not discuss the political equivalence. I will not ...

Bumping this back to top....any timeline or updates for return to bench?

If they can win the next couple of games, and remain above .500 until Coach gets back, I will consider that a major victory.