Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Trying to lose 500 dothrakian drachma to atone for my mistake. So I just bet 500 on the under on Syracuse at Georgia Tech.

Trying to lose. Harder than winning?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Trying to lose 500 dothrakian drachma to atone for my mistake. So I just bet 500 on the under on Syracuse at Georgia Tech.

Trying to lose. Harder than winning?
    You should have just let RichardJackson or Troublemaker make the bet for you

--Jason "Troublemaker being out of the contest is really hard to understand. He hit on 47% of his bets... and he still lost more than 5-grand" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow I'm a board regular, and I can't believe I only opened this thread for the first time today. Clearly I immediately signed up. This is the first year this is on covers.com right? I feel like last year was all pen and paper...

Go GT!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You should have just let RichardJackson or Troublemaker make the bet for you

--Jason "Troublemaker being out of the contest is really hard to understand. He hit on 47% of his bets... and he still lost more than 5-grand" Evans
    I went with small wagers during my strong start to the season and I went with big wagers during a wretched cold streak. And I didn't slow down the pace when approaching the -$5K line.

The DQ line does add an interesting twist to the competition for sure. It can (obviously) punish degenerates who max bet all the time. If you go on a cold streak, you may not last long enough to turn it around.

Mother of pearl! I tried to lose 500 and they friggin tied to O/u at 136.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Wow I'm a board regular, and I can't believe I only opened this thread for the first time today. Clearly I immediately signed up. This is the first year this is on covers.com right? I feel like last year was all pen and paper...

Go GT!
    Yes. Welcome!

Mother of pearl! I tried to lose 500 and they friggin tied to O/u at 136.
    Try again... just post here with your losing bet so we can keep track of it. You know, if you win, this could get really interesting and funny as you try to shed more and more money. Ha!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Try again... just post here with your losing bet so we can keep track of it. You know, if you win, this could get really interesting and funny as you try to shed more and more money. Ha!
    I can see this happening. I try to lose again and again ... 😳🙈🙉🙊

I can see this happening. I try to lose again and again ... 😳🙈🙉🙊
    You are allowed to try to lose on a non-ACC bet.

Trying to lose again. Bet 500 samolians on West Virginia to cover the spread, -15.0 versus Texas. Texas is not very good, terrible on the road, but they've been generally staying close.

Trying to lose again. Bet 500 samolians on West Virginia to cover the spread, -15.0 versus Texas. Texas is not very good, terrible on the road, but they've been generally staying close.
    Inconceivable!

Trying to lose and tied again, the dreaded push. I did manage to lose two other bets I was trying to win, which dropped me to 4th place.

I'll look for another one to try to lose, but I may need to call in a consultant. Troublemaker?

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Inconceivable!

Trying to lose and tied again, the dreaded push. I did manage to lose two other bets I was trying to win, which dropped me to 4th place.

I'll look for another one to try to lose, but I may need to call in a consultant. Troublemaker?
    Hmmm, if no DQ, I would've tried to be contrarian tonight and bet that NCSU would show up against GaTech. So NCSU +4.5 should be your bet.

Inconceivable!

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."
    richardjackson199 still might be hanging around DBR if you desire consultation with a real loser.

(I know that doesn't sound quite right but he's a buddy/colleague of mine so I'm sure he'll understand. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Trying once again to lose on purpose . . .

I looked for the highest O/U, and took the over. Bet 500 clams on the over, AUB at LSU, 172.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hmmm, if no DQ, I would've tried to be contrarian tonight and bet that NCSU would show up against GaTech. So NCSU +4.5 should be your bet.
    Thanks for the advice. I got confused about whether I should take NCSU +4.5 thinking I would lose, or switch it and take GaTech to cover. If I'm trying to lose, and you think NCSU +4.5 is good, then I should switch?

After all that, I decided to go out of conference so I could still legitimately lose in conference.

Thanks for the advice. I got confused about whether I should take NCSU +4.5 thinking I would lose, or switch it and take GaTech to cover. If I'm trying to lose, and you think NCSU +4.5 is good, then I should switch?

After all that, I decided to go out of conference so I could still legitimately lose in conference.
    Well, you "hired me" as a Bad Pick Consultant, so you were supposed to take NCSU +4.5 because that's what I would've taken tonight if I hadn't been DQ'ed.

This has been really fun (easy to say coming off my current hot streak), but more importantly I think because of this contest I'm actually following the ACC as a whole even more closely than I usually do. Kudos to Jason for putting this together!

I'm not sure I'll be able to catch NYBri for 1st place, mainly because I've given up completely on making O/U bets. I didn't make very many of them, but after missing on a few I started to mentally track where I thought games would end up, and I haven't found any kind of feel for those bets. I'll stick to my tried and true method of picking spreads, but I'm fooling myself if I expect to maintain my 63% mark on ATS picks.

As for tonight, I can't for the life of me figure out the GT/NCSU line. I got it at GT -5.0, but now see that the line has moved to -3.5. This feels like free money with the Jackets at home...what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    This has been really fun (easy to say coming off my current hot streak), but more importantly I think because of this contest I'm actually following the ACC as a whole even more closely than I usually do. Kudos to Jason for putting this together!

I'm not sure I'll be able to catch NYBri for 1st place, mainly because I've given up completely on making O/U bets. I didn't make very many of them, but after missing on a few I started to mentally track where I thought games would end up, and I haven't found any kind of feel for those bets. I'll stick to my tried and true method of picking spreads, but I'm fooling myself if I expect to maintain my 63% mark on ATS picks.

As for tonight, I can't for the life of me figure out the GT/NCSU line. I got it at GT -5.0, but now see that the line has moved to -3.5. This feels like free money with the Jackets at home...what am I missing?
    Odd, I sometimes find the O/U a better wager, although I'm doing about the same as the ATS wagers.

Indeed this has been fun. I was thinking that the way the conference is this year with so many good, CONSISTENT teams, it's a bit easier to play ATS. I find when a team is all over the map and is giving or getting over 12 points, it's total crap shoot. However, when a game is close for two consistent teams, both teams stay engaged and the home court, team strengths, etc. come into play more.

For instance, last night with Miami and UVA...UVA is consistently having all sorts of trouble scoring, but they were giving up 8.5 points to a pretty consistent team that has a good offense. I know they were at home, but Miami's strengths with their coach certainly was a good bet at +8.5. I felt comfortable with that wager. I don't bet on BC games because no matter how many points they get, who the hell knows who is going to show up. Same thing with Duke. I hate wagering on their games ATS because I never know which team is going to show. It's getting better recently, but about 2 weeks ago, it was insane.

Pittsburgh is the hardest because of their incredible inconsistency.

I bet 500 units on each home team tonight: VT even and GT -3.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I bet 500 units on each home team tonight: VT even and GT -3.
    Georgia Tech was -1.5 earlier today, but I dithered and got -3 also.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013