Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Assuming true, this adds another 6+ months to the timeline until the COI meets and takes some action.

So, that will give us two great summer threads... a championship thread and ANOTHER scandal thread. Fun!
    And just think of how all of the extra publicity will help unc recruiting!

At some point (maybe a year or two ago) the constant repetition of the accusations will convince the public that the accusations are true.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ESPN article here... mainstream media picking up on this. UNC says it will release the new NOA some time soon.
    I wasn't much of one to buy into the "ESPN bias" thought process, but my mind has been changed.

The article Jason linked is the exact same as this one posted on WRAL, but with some rather heavy editing. The original is much more critical (or least more pointed) in calling out the cheats for their delay tactics.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-rec...case/16360124/

Edit...after reading, I'm not sure if it is a case of editing or blatant and lazy copy and paste work/plagiarism. Too many sentences are the exact same, but some have been altered.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wasn't much of one to buy into the "ESPN bias" thought process, but my mind has been changed.

The article Jason linked is the exact same as this one posted on WRAL, but with some rather heavy editing. The original is much more critical (or least more pointed) in calling out the cheats for their delay tactics.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-rec...case/16360124/

Edit...after reading, I'm not sure if it is a case of editing or blatant and lazy copy and paste work/plagiarism. Too many sentences are the exact same, but some have been altered.
    ESPN has an AP byline, so it may also be that WRAL augmented the article instead of ESPN retracting. Not sure.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ESPN has an AP byline, so it may also be that WRAL augmented the article instead of ESPN retracting. Not sure.
    Yep, just noticed that. Would love to know which is the original. Either way, wral's is more fun to read.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So let's see -- assuming UNC got this latest version of the NOA recently, that puts their deadline for responding (90 days out) in mid-March, right around the time of maximum coverage for college basketball. Heh.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    So let's see -- assuming UNC got this latest version of the NOA recently, that puts their deadline for responding (90 days out) in mid-March, right around the time of maximum coverage for college basketball. Heh.
    I would actually guess they've probably had it for close to 30 days already and have been holding it back before they've had to release it because of Kane's longstanding FOIA requests.

Wonder if PackPride has spontaneously combusted yet...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I will hold off my happy dance until I see the new NOA.

I understand that this may delay the final resolution of this -- and you know UNC will string it out at least through this basketball season -- but if the allegations against basketball (and football) are reinstated -- and I understand that's a big IF -- the ultimate resolution will be closer to real justice.

I thought when I read the original NOA that UNC men's basketball (which is at the center of this issue) could not escape some major punishment -- banners coming down, a postseason ban, etc.

Then we got the second NOA, which seemed to be crafted specifically to protect UNC basketball from significant punishment. I still thought UNC would be hit hard (the second NOA did contain five Level One violations, including LOIC), but in more general terms -- the entire athletic department on probation and a hefty, hefty fine ... but no sports specific penalties (such as postseason ban or wins vacated).

The third NOA will tell us whether or not basketball (and football) are back at risk.

As for the seemingly endless investigation with all its back and forths, this is not close to the longest NCAA investigation on record. The Syracuse problem that led to the 2015 tournament ban and Boeheim's nine-game suspension in 2016 was almost nine years in the making. It's a long, awkward process. But many have observed that the worst punishment is the negative aspects of being in the NCAA spotlight during the long investigation.

This is potentially VERY good news. We won't know for sure until we see the new NOA.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy3469 View Post
    I would actually guess they've probably had it for close to 30 days already and have been holding it back before they've had to release it because of Kane's longstanding FOIA requests.

Speaking of Dan Kane, he's got a short article up on the N&O's website about the latest NOA. No new details, though he takes time to remind everyone what the case is about:

The case involves 18 years of bogus classes offered by a former manager of the African and Afro-American Studies department and the department chairman. Half of the roughly 3,100 students who took the classes were athletes, with football and men’s basketball having the highest enrollments.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ESPN article here... mainstream media picking up on this. UNC says it will release the new NOA some time soon.
    Christmas eve? Fits the UNC MO.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Another full season granted by the NCAA.
    A two-edged sword, for sure. The lying, cheating, dirtbag worms get another MBB season played w/o penalty, but now have another re-amended-ANOA hanging over their university. Let the opposing coaches restart their negative recruiting!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Christmas eve? Fits the UNC MO.
    But that would be on Saturday, which I don't think will happen. More fitting to have it come on Friday, a/k/a Festivus. Imagine the grievances that could be aired . . ..
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yep, just noticed that. Would love to know which is the original. Either way, wral's is more fun to read.
    I'd say they are both fully written by he AP guy based on how it looks on each site. It's actually not uncommon for there to be a more short form and long form of AP articles. You see it even in things as mundane as game recaps. As for editorial decisions, I would have no idea if ESPN, WRAL etc. have all available versions and make decisions which to run, or they have blanket requests for short or long based on subject, local interest, etc.

Also of not is that none of he mainstream sites picked up on the part where IC claims that specific things are being added back from the original. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it likely hasn't been independently verified by anyone yet.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Wonder if PackPride has spontaneously combusted yet...
    Wonder if Manalishi has made another appearance...

Wonder if the Count of Monte Christo who punked PackPride and us when the ANOA was issued is making any appearances now...

I'm not visiting PackPride any more but I will be highly appreciative if our friends and fellow posters on DBR, PackMan97 and/or newclasspack, would keep us apprised...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Also of not is that none of he mainstream sites picked up on the part where IC claims that specific things are being added back from the original. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it likely hasn't been independently verified by anyone yet.
    Yeah, IC apparently has a source that nobody else has been able to confirm.

Won't this be the second time (at least) that IC has scooped everyone else on a story about the investigation? I seem to recall they stole a march on a story about one of the prior versions of the NOA...or maybe it was about UNC's response to one of the prior versions.

Also of note is that none of he mainstream sites picked up on the part where IC claims that specific things are being added back from the original. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it likely hasn't been independently verified by anyone yet.
    Which is why I would not get too excited until it is released.

Which is why I would not get too excited until it is released.

Won't this be the second time (at least) that IC has scooped everyone else on a story about the investigation? I seem to recall they stole a march on a story about one of the prior versions of the NOA...or maybe it was about UNC's response to one of the prior versions.
    Ben Sherman (who runs IC and who wrote the article you refer to) has very good sources within the UNC athletic department. I would count on him to know the UNC POV on any issue -- especially when he's reporting bad news (from the UNC perspective).

Given how things have transpired up to this point, should we also prepare ourselves for this newly amended NOA just to be a further watering down of the allegations?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I refuse to take the bait again. Wake me up if and when this finally ends.
    Get your cryo tank ready, this may take a while...