Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Patience, Grasshopper.

What are the chances that ESPN replaces the Grayson "no foul" Allen video with this UNCheat news? They have been such a reliable source for this story, thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    What are the chances that ESPN replaces the Grayson "no foul" Allen video with this UNCheat news? They have been such a reliable source for this story, thus far.
    More likely to cover the ND and WFU F "scandals: than this one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I am of the opinion that the University of North Carolina has managed to:

a) Insult the NCAA COI
    b) Piss off the NCAA COI
    C) Both a and b

Of course it is possible that:

d) Bob Green is naïve and guilty of wishful thinking

The bottom line for me is I find this whole situation tiresome and really hope it ends soon. How long is it going to take the NCAA to make a decision? Carolina athletics need to be nuked back to the stone age or let go with slap on the wrist. Just do it!
    Bob Green

I refuse to take the bait again. Wake me up if and when this finally ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe the NCAA put adults back in charge.
    Remember, the enforcement staff (which issued the original and first amended NOA) and the COI are two different entities. The enforcement staff is composed of NCAA employees, while the COI is composed of officials from member institutions and conferences, plus an assortment of attorneys and other "distinguished figures" from higher ed, government, business, and college athletics. Here's a list of the current COI members. They include former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales (who's now dean of the law school at Belmont University) and Bobby Cremins.

The COI is designed to be independent from the NCAA bureaucracy. With that makeup, it doesn't shock me that the COI would (a) feel greater freedom to diverge from the enforcement staff, if it disagreed with the staff's handling of a matter; and (b) be less receptive to UNC's defense and strategy so far -- especially given that some of the COI members are from schools that were competing against (and arguably victimized by) UNC during its two decades of cheating.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It sounds like the Committee on Infractions reviewed the Notice of Allegations made by the NCAA enforcement staff and thought that the enforcement staff was letting UNC off too easy. This suggests that the Committee on Infractions isn't going to let UNC off easy. The idea that UNC could get out of this with nothing more than a fine and a warning seemed absurd to all of us. Apparently, it seemed absurd to the Committee on Infractions as well.

You wonder how long UNC has been sitting on this news. It's so like them to delay releasing this until just before Christmas. They always want to treat this as a public relations problem instead of as the serious substantive problem that it is.
    I like this interpretation. I have no idea if it's correct, but I am in favor of an optimistic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    More likely to cover the ND and WFU "scandals" than this one.
    Re-posted as corrected/edited after a horrible job of proof-reading .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Remember, the enforcement staff (which issued the original and first amended NOA) and the COI are two different entities. The enforcement staff is composed of NCAA employees, while the COI is composed of officials from member institutions and conferences, plus an assortment of attorneys and other "distinguished figures" from higher ed, government, business, and college athletics. Here's a list of the current COI members. They include former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales (who's now dean of the law school at Belmont University) and Bobby Cremins.

The COI is designed to be independent from the NCAA bureaucracy. With that makeup, it doesn't shock me that the COI would (a) feel greater freedom to diverge from the enforcement staff, if it disagreed with the staff's handling of a matter; and (b) be less receptive to UNC's defense and strategy so far -- especially given that some of the COI members are from schools that were competing against (and arguably victimized by) UNC during its two decades of cheating.
    There is also a member from Notre Dame, which just forfeited two year's worth of football victories including its National Champ runner-up year. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Have you ever read Rip Van Winkle? Just askin'...

There is also a member from Notre Dame, which just forfeited two year's worth of football victories including its National Champ runner-up year. FWIW.
    An excellent point. And the cheating in Notre Dame's case was mild compared to Carolina's. In the Notre Dame case, a student trainer provided improper "academic extra benefits" (i.e., completed coursework) for a total of eight players. There was no evidence of institutionalized fraud designed to help keep athletes eligible, like there is in the Carolina case.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

You mean like high school students being recruited by major programs and deciding and then changing their minds about their lists and/or commitments? Yeah, let me know when they get on campus and I'll believe them!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Need to read to get some details... this could be big!

http://www.scout.com/college/north-c...s-unc-new-anoa
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    "Sources confirm this new version reinstates aspects of the original first notice that were then altered for the amended notice."

I just did my happy dance 8-)
    MERRY CHRISTMAS roy!

And to tar heel nation!

Wow, the NCAA became Scrooge and the Grinch, all rolled up into one. They went all rogue one and gave us a new hope.

Wish I could hear ol' roy crying to his manicurist: "this is the greatest tragedy since ..."

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO US!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Have you ever read Rip Van Winkle? Just askin'...
    Started to, but fell asleep ...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You mean like high school students being recruited by major programs and deciding and then changing their minds about their lists and/or commitments? Yeah, let me know when they get on campus and I'll believe them!
    Yeah, I try not to follow football recruiting for this very reason.

Those that follow the UNC scandal closely may already know this, but another interesting name on the COI list is Thomas Hill. When I first saw this name, I thought "Hmmm, someone on the COI has the same name as one of the key players on Duke's back-to-back championship teams. There has to be a good joke in there somewhere".

After a quick Google search it turns out that, while the COI member isn't the guy who is most famous for his reaction to Laettner's game winning shot vs Kentucky, the COI member is in fact the father of Duke's Thomas Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It sounds like the Committee on Infractions reviewed the Notice of Allegations made by the NCAA enforcement staff and thought that the enforcement staff was letting UNC off too easy. This suggests that the Committee on Infractions isn't going to let UNC off easy. The idea that UNC could get out of this with nothing more than a fine and a warning seemed absurd to all of us. Apparently, it seemed absurd to the Committee on Infractions as well.

You wonder how long UNC has been sitting on this news. It's so like them to delay releasing this until just before Christmas. They always want to treat this as a public relations problem instead of as the serious substantive problem that it is.
    That's almost certainly what had to have happened. Keep in mind too that the COI Chair who was in charge of the Oct 28 procedural hearing was Greg Sankey (SEC commissioner and NCAA bigwig) and that was part of the overall hearing (ie just because it was "narrow" doesn't mean the COI couldn't address other issues). My guess is UNC opened their mouth, pissed Sankey off even more, and the COI either asked enforcement why the ANOA didn't include the initial "extra benefit" angle or wanted it included to address specific sports (i.e. they decided they needed a more forceful step-by-step rules violation for potential litigation that UNC will be sure to bring).

This is a highly unusual step that almost certainly came directly at Sankey's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Of course, some at UNCheat may be doing a happy dance as well. (Not as happy as UC, but still tapping their feet.)
    Another full season granted by the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Those that follow the UNC scandal closely may already know this, but another interesting name on the COI list is Thomas Hill. When I first saw this name, I thought "Hmmm, someone on the COI has the same name as one of the key players on Duke's back-to-back championship teams. There has to be a good joke in there somewhere".

After a quick Google search it turns out that, while the COI member isn't the guy who is most famous for his reaction to Laettner's game winning shot vs Kentucky, the COI member is in fact the father of Duke's Thomas Hill.
    I had forgotten that T Hill's dad was an Olympic bronze medal winner.

From his bio:

"He earned his Ph.D. in Counselor Education from the University of Florida and has written articles on student-athlete development and minority identity development."

T Hill senior might take a particularly dim view of using the African American Studies program as a front for an educational scam (by the athletics department).

ESPN article here... mainstream media picking up on this. UNC says it will release the new NOA some time soon.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Assuming true, this adds another 6+ months to the timeline until the COI meets and takes some action.

So, that will give us two great summer threads... a championship thread and ANOTHER scandal thread. Fun!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block