Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting indeed. If memory serves, Cincinnati beat us on a final shot right before the buzzer too, a hook and ladder play leading to a dunk by Kenyon Martin.

Someone can do the math, but it felt to me like we played the "small" lineup with Amile at the 5 and/or Tatum at the 4 for about half the game, while playing a "big" lineup with two of Amile/Bolden/Jeter for about half as well. That seems to be the biggest question now that Tatum and Bolden are back - how much will we go big - and while this game was not a definitive answer it does seem like we'll mix in some of both.

Fantastic game all around by all.
    My memory didn't serve either, so I Youtubed it. The final dunk off the hook and ladder with 3 seconds left was by Melvin Levett, not K-Mart. Right before that dunk Will Avery tied the game with a clutch shot, giving him 30 points for the game. After the Levett dunk, Duke ran a full court play with 1 second on the clock. Avery hit another tough shot - unfortunately as time was expiring so it didn't count.

This year, I'm cool with 39-1, or any record that results in Natty #6.

There were more Duke alums and fans at this game than at Wally Wade for Va Tech - seriously. T-Mobile (very nice arena btw) looked sold out with capacity over 19,000. Upper decks all full too. It almost felt like a Duke home game with all the Defense cheers. Pre-game and all through the game, UNLV kept showing highlights of the 1990 championship, and never mentioned 91. Bryan Davis and Anderson Hunt were introduced at halftime.

This was a huge success. I imagine Duke will return to Vegas to play.

To be fair to Vitale -- and I am a constant critic -- not sure how you talk about a manhandling blowout as a color guy. If you were not a Duke fan, this game was not worth watching after the early minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    I am glad we developed new food nicknames for most of our players.
    Yep. Make no mis-steak about it.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    All the great offense and Duke held UNLV to 19 second half points and less than 30% shooting for the game.

About 10 mins into the 2nd half Duke was on an 18-0 run and the announcers asked why Dukes 2nd team wasn't in the game, well Duke's 2nd team was in the game including Tatum, Jackson, Bolden and DeLaurier...Luke was the one starter in the game. That is scary if this is the 2nd team.
    I listened on WDNC on our trip back from the NC coast and they were giddy about Luke and 4 of the freshman on the floor at the time. Yo. Yo. Yo. Amazing.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Is a Duke fan

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...56546260156416

Amazing how a big baseball player looks small next to the Duke team.

great stuff - only negative is Grayson's foot is wrapped in that photo. I hope they really take it easy with him and his toe these next few weeks.. give more minutes to Bolden or Jayson or Frank.. they all need practice.

*Anyone know if Grayson is still being held out of practice??? thanks for information - it was said publicly that for a while he wasn't practicing. Only playing in games. Whats the word on that now?? Limited practice? full contact?

Damn, this is so much frickin' fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Is a Duke fan

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...56546260156416

Amazing how a big baseball player looks small next to the Duke team.
    Giles looks like a beast in this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Knight is 76 years old.
    Is Knight's age the reason Knight said he left ESPN? I tried to find a reason from Knight himself, but couldn't find a quote. If you have a link to his comments, it would be much appreciated.

There are lots of guys still doing that line of work at Knight's age: Lee Corso is 81, Marv Albert is 75, Dick Vitale and Brent Musburger are 77. Vin Scully just retired at 89.

Heck, I'm never going to limit a guy like Bobby Knight based on his age.
    Last edited by duke4ever19; 12-11-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To be fair to Vitale -- and I am a constant critic -- not sure how you talk about a manhandling blowout as a color guy. If you were not a Duke fan, this game was not worth watching after the early minutes.
    To be fair, isn't he considered an "analyst?"

At least in baseball, you often get three guys on TV...play by play, analyst, and color. That works great as you have one guy who is great at calling the game as it's happening, one who is a good baseball mind, and one who is there for the lulz.

DIcky V would be great as that third guy in the baseball booth...who keeps it fun when not much is going on. But in basketball, when you almost invariably have two men teams, that second guy needs to be providing that insight (given very few commentators actually do provide ANY useful insight...it's all intelligent sounding filler these days) along with amusing fluff from time to time. Dicky V is so far over the line as to be ridiculous. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but when you have so much of what he says untempered by other guys in the booth, it becomes unbearable.

given the financial troubles that ESPN is running into, and the fact that he has already been demoted off the top team at ESPN in favor of Bilas (who i have my own qualms with...and nothing to do with duke...), I don't expect Dicky V to be around for too much longer. That is unfortunate to some degree because he does love the college game and does get excited for these players and games, but he's past his ability to be effective on the mic.

If only every second guy on broadcasts could be as knowledgeable as the general.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I watched on ESPN3, which was broadcast in Spanish. I didn't catch everything they said, but i could tell they were talking about the game. That was refreshing. I tried to listen to the internet broadcast while watching ESPN3 but the audio was 10-15 seconds behind the video, which itself was behind the box score by 10-15 secocnds.
    ESPN3 tinha em inglês também!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

The energy, the enthusiasm, the skill, this team has it all. This team is a FORCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ON the 100 points, K tends to call off the dogs. He is a better sport than some of the fans.
    /s/ Screw those fans who want to watch enjoyable basketball for the last five minutes of the game! It's more important to pick an arbitrary number past which "true gentlemen" should never score, even if it requires throwing out some truly pedantic and inept offense while wasting everyone's time. /s/

Seriously, there's a difference between running up the score and simply continuing to play the game while being slightly less aggressive. I see nothing reprehensible about the latter. Completely throwing away the last segment of the game is silly: no learning or growth for the players, while still risking injury (although injury to subs is less bad than injury to starters), and further embarrassing the opponent by essentially saying "y'all are so bad we have to play like middle schoolers in order to keep from scoring."

I really don't understand this attitude. Fans want to see entertaining sport. Bench players want to get valuable experience and game practice. If Duke wins by 60 instead of 49, it's still a blowout. Should we stop dunking after a 20 point lead or something? institute the ten pass rule? no threes in the second half? that would be silly, but only marginally more silly than putting a cap on scoring for respectability's sake. Let the kids loose, have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    *Anyone know if Grayson is still being held out of practice??? thanks for information - it was said publicly that for a while he wasn't practicing. Only playing in games. Whats the word on that now?? Limited practice? full contact?
    The announcers said he practiced yesterday (Friday) for the first time in awhile. I guess it worked.

Cool

Very good photo of Cool Hand Luke.Sheldon Andelson's newspaper. On paper Andelson lost 3 billion in 30 minutes on his Sands share price. China crack downed on how much Yuan can be taken from the Mainland to Macao.Maco has 4 times the amount of gambling as Las Vegas.
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/...le-arena-94-45

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    His contract was not renewed after the 2015 season. His last game was the NIT Championship.

I don't know that any incidents precipitated the exit (It is Bobby Knight, afterall), or if he just decided that having a job that is "one or two steps above prostitution" wasn't for him. (His words, not mine )
    UK fans are convinced Knight was canned for comments on Cal. It was a bit aggressive even if accurate. Kinda hard to be considered neutral when you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Is Knight's age the reason Knight said he left ESPN? I tried to find a reason from Knight himself, but couldn't find a quote. If you have a link to his comments, it would be much appreciated.

There are lots of guys still doing that line of work at Knight's age: Lee Corso is 81, Marv Albert is 75, Dick Vitale and Brent Musburger are 77. Vin Scully just retired at 89.

Heck, I'm never going to limit a guy like Bobby Knight based on his age.
    No, I don't think a reason was given, but age should not be ignored, or asked about too bluntly.

BTW, my homeboy Verne Lundquist (age 76) just wrapped it up last night with the telecast of the Army-Navy game. He seems to be as good as ever, but will limit his schedule to golf (Masters 16th hole = Verne) and some hoops (probably will lead one of the regional crews during the NCAAs). He has some health issues, as one would expect, and as a beloved person, has been fairly candid about them. In fact, during the telecast, Donald Trump showed up in the booth for a chat and Verne's partner Gary Danielson suggested that Verne be named Ambassador to Sweden, the home of Verne' ancestors.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Can't get this to straighten out.
    One click to the right or three to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Very good photo of Cool Hand Luke.Sheldon Andelson's newspaper. On paper Andelson lost 3 billion in 30 minutes on his Sands share price. China crack downed on how much Yuan can be taken from the Mainland to Macao.Maco has 4 times the amount of gambling as Las Vegas.
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/...le-arena-94-45
    Yeah, those paper losses are as painful as the paper gains are thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Giles looks like a beast in this photo.
    It may have something to do with his position in the photo. On the other side, look how huge Grayson's arm looks relative to Frank and Luke. He and Giles are just closer to the camera. Not that they aren't beastly, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sours View Post
    /s/ Screw those fans who want to watch enjoyable basketball for the last five minutes of the game! It's more important to pick an arbitrary number past which "true gentlemen" should never score, even if it requires throwing out some truly pedantic and inept offense while wasting everyone's time. /s/

Seriously, there's a difference between running up the score and simply continuing to play the game while being slightly less aggressive. I see nothing reprehensible about the latter. Completely throwing away the last segment of the game is silly: no learning or growth for the players, while still risking injury (although injury to subs is less bad than injury to starters), and further embarrassing the opponent by essentially saying "y'all are so bad we have to play like middle schoolers in order to keep from scoring."

I really don't understand this attitude. Fans want to see entertaining sport. Bench players want to get valuable experience and game practice. If Duke wins by 60 instead of 49, it's still a blowout. Should we stop dunking after a 20 point lead or something? institute the ten pass rule? no threes in the second half? that would be silly, but only marginally more silly than putting a cap on scoring for respectability's sake. Let the kids loose, have some fun.
    Lighten up Francis.