Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giles soon?

Giles soon?

Giles may be back before Christmas..
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...vDqqCAR49ULoQ-

Chronicle reporting 12/19 against Tennessee State.

Wonder what those ticket prices will spike to on stubhub?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

I don't know, but I just purchased 4 center-court lower upper deck tickets to Duke-Elon two days later for $60 total - plus they're throwing in 4 hot dogs and 4 drinks!

Cheers!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Got cheated out of the Hot Dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't know, but I just purchased 4 center-court lower upper deck tickets to Duke-Elon two days later for $60 total - plus they're throwing in 4 hot dogs and 4 drinks!

Cheers!
    Me, too. Early Christmas present for the family. But my deal didn't come with any food. Got them at the Coliseum box office about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Me, too. Early Christmas present for the family. But my deal didn't come with any food. Got them at the Coliseum box office about a month ago.
    I didn't realize the concession vouchers were in the envelope until I got to the car after the purchase. A pleasant surprise!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Will be exciting to see him on the floor. I was trying to think of other players who missed their senior year of high school. The only one I came up with was Shelden. As I recall, it took him until halfway through conference play before he really started to look comfortable out there.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I didn't realize the concession vouchers were in the envelope until I got to the car after the purchase. A pleasant surprise!
    Do you have a link for the hot dog deal?

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Will be exciting to see him on the floor. I was trying to think of other players who missed their senior year of high school. The only one I came up with was Shelden. As I recall, it took him until halfway through conference play before he really started to look comfortable out there.
    IIRC, John Smith back in the '80s missed some time but I don't remember of it was his junior or senior year. Not a Giles caliber recruit but it caused him to be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

What will happen between UNLV and Tennesse St that makes Giles more prepared to play? A few days? Bring the kid on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    What will happen between UNLV and Tennesse St that makes Giles more prepared to play? A few days? Bring the kid on now.
    It's like nine days later, plus it's a home game against a completely overmatched opponent. Just like with Tatum and Bolden, I think K will want to bring him back in a really low-stress kind of game for just a few minutes. If he's doing well then K may leave him in longer. Plus it's on the other side of Finals week, for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's like nine days later, plus it's a home game against a completely overmatched opponent. Just like with Tatum and Bolden, I think K will want to bring him back in a really low-stress kind of game for just a few minutes. If he's doing well then K may leave him in longer. Plus it's on the other side of Finals week, for whatever that's worth.
    Plus, why not have your debut be at Cameron?

Beyond debut at home and easy opponent (although UNLV is pretty bad this year) as others have said, K wants to watch Giles in a few more full-contact 5-on-5 practices before he plays in games. With injuries and travel schedules those practices haven't happened much over the past few weeks. There should be some time for those between the 10th and 19th (even with exams).
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Beyond debut at home and easy opponent (although UNLV is pretty bad this year) as others have said, K wants to watch Giles in a few more full-contact 5-on-5 practices before he plays in games. With injuries and travel schedules those practices haven't happened much over the past few weeks. There should be some time for those between the 10th and 19th (even with exams).

UNLV was beaten by Arizona State who themselves were taken apart on TV the other day. I copied UNLV's top player stat line if it will line up properly here.

Player

GP Min PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3PT%
    Jalen Poyser
    8 32.9 17.5 3.0 3.9 1.3 0.1 2.5 .451 .864 .400
    Christian Jones
    3 33.0 14.0 7.0 0.7 0.7 1.0 2.0 .643 .600 .000
    Tyrell Green
    8 25.8 12.8 6.3 1.5 0.6 0.1 1.1 .487 .923 .485
    Dwayne Morgan
    7 22.7 10.0 7.6 0.6 0.9 1.6 2.0 .413 .548 .143
    Kris Clyburn
    8 26.9 9.8 4.8 2.0 0.6 0.0 0.8 .476 .706 .286
    Jovan Mooring
    8 23.1 7.8 2.0 2.8 0.4 0.1 2.3 .349 .765 .286
    Uche Ofoegbu
    7 26.4 7.0 4.3 2.7 1.4 0.0 1.7 .319 .778 .294

UNLV was beaten by Arizona State who themselves were taken apart on TV the other day. I copied UNLV's top player stat line if it will line up properly here.

Player

GP Min PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3PT%
    Jalen Poyser
    8 32.9 17.5 3.0 3.9 1.3 0.1 2.5 .451 .864 .400
    Christian Jones
    3 33.0 14.0 7.0 0.7 0.7 1.0 2.0 .643 .600 .000
    Tyrell Green
    8 25.8 12.8 6.3 1.5 0.6 0.1 1.1 .487 .923 .485
    Dwayne Morgan
    7 22.7 10.0 7.6 0.6 0.9 1.6 2.0 .413 .548 .143
    Kris Clyburn
    8 26.9 9.8 4.8 2.0 0.6 0.0 0.8 .476 .706 .286
    Jovan Mooring
    8 23.1 7.8 2.0 2.8 0.4 0.1 2.3 .349 .765 .286
    Uche Ofoegbu
    7 26.4 7.0 4.3 2.7 1.4 0.0 1.7 .319 .778 .294
    I agree that UNLV is pretty much as bad as Tennessee State and Elon this year. I think the additional full contact practices is the key not the strength of the opponent
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

All I can say to the rest if the basketball world is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGsSPVPmHcA

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    All I can say to the rest if the basketball world is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGsSPVPmHcA
    Why didn't you link to the original?

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    IIRC, John Smith back in the '80s missed some time but I don't remember of it was his junior or senior year. Not a Giles caliber recruit but it caused him to be overlooked.
    John Smith was academically ineligible most of his senior year in high school.

Shelden Williams was suspended much of his senior year.

Neither was coming off a significant injury.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Why didn't you link to the original?

My Bad!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    John Smith was academically ineligible most of his senior year in high school.

Shelden Williams was suspended much of his senior year.

Neither was coming off a significant injury.
    Erik Meek missed most of his senior season after being hit by a car. He was not very effective until his Junior year, though in fairness, he was not that highly ranked so he may never have been effective as a freshman/soph even without the accident.

Was Shelden's suspension because of the rape allegation against him? (IIRC that was dropped once he chose not to declare for the NBA draft out of high school...)

Never having seen Giles play, what can we expect from him versus Jefferson and Bolden if he comes back reasonably healthy?