Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Wow, I had forgotten that team had Ndiaye, Cota AND Vince Carter - three of my all-time least favorite Holes.
    The missing adjective would precede "Holes".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Carolina actually blew...

...After that season, he was gone -- transferred to Michigan State. It wasn't all bad for him, though. He carved out a nice supporting role for himself there and was a key reserve on Michigan State's 2000 national championship team.
    (Redacted for relevance...)
    One super minor quibble - I thought that Mike C. sat out the year Mich St won its title?

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    (Redacted for relevance...)
    One super minor quibble - I thought that Mike C. sat out the year Mich St won its title?
    Mike Chappell left Duke after the 1998 season, sat out 1999, and played on the 2000 MSU team that won the title
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Many of our younger fans may not remember a time when UNC was actually better than us
    You don't have to go back that far. 2007-2009 should still be fresh in a lot of minds.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

"Many of our younger fans may not remember a time when UNC was actually better than us (and were not cheating)"

You don't have to go back that far. 1977-1979 should still be fresh in a lot of minds.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    "Many of our younger fans may not remember a time when UNC was actually better than us (and were not cheating)"

You don't have to go back that far. 1977-1979 should still be fresh in a lot of minds.
    I was attending UNC Law School during those years, and yes, the memories are all too fresh.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

WRONG! They have been cheating since Frank McGuire and he left in 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    He came from Senegal and played at Oak Hill Academy, where he was committed to Wake Forest. Unfortunately, Wake coach Dave Odom, understanding that Ndiaye did not speak English very well and was struggling to adapt to the United States, got a Sengelese school janitor to help Ndiaye out. That janitor provided illegal benefits that got Wake on probation ... as part of the ruling, Wake was not allowed to accept Ndiaye.
    I was in an ACC fantasy basketball league with some friends that year. We held our draft before Ndiaye was ruled ineligible at Wake, so one of the guys in our league picked Ndiaye with his last pick in the draft. When Ndiaye was ruled ineligible, the rest of the owners decided to give the guy who'd picked him a replacement pick -- i.e., he could pick any remaining ACC player who hadn't been drafted in Ndiaye's place. So he said, "Well, I'll just take whoever's gonna take over Ndiaye's spot in the lineup at Wake."

Turned out to be a fellow named Tim Duncan.

The same guy had also drafted Maryland freshman Joe Smith (5th round), UNC freshman Rasheed Wallace (3rd round), Virginia's Junior Burrough (2nd round), and Georgia Tech's Travis Best (1st round). Needless to say, he won the league that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    After the game, Ndiaye made headlines when he accused one of the Utah players of calling him the N-word. The player and Utah coach Rick Majerus adamantly denied the charge and a day later UNC offered a statement admitting that the charge was false and apologizing for Ndiaye's action. A few weeks later, Ndiaye repudiated the apology. He was later involved in a traffic accident in Raleigh that also involved a lot of changing stories and bizarre claims by Ndiaye (although I don't remember all the details).
    Ndiaye's line in that Utah game was classic Makhtar -- 14 minutes, zero points (0-for-3 shooting, 0-for-2 on FTs), 2 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 turnover...and 5 fouls. He actually fouled out with 17:50 left in the game.

The kerfuffle with Britton Johnsen arose after Johnsen claimed that Ndiaye spit in his face while they were exchanging some trash talk. Unsatisfied with simply denying the spitting claim, Ndiaye responded by accusing Johnsen (falsely) of calling him the N-word.

Ndiaye had a few other incidents during the season, as this article points out:

It was not the first time this season Ndiaye had accused someone of using a racial slur. During North Carolina's 85-67 victory over Maryland in Chapel Hill on Feb. 14, Ndiaye made an obscene gesture to some fans seated behind the Maryland bench. After the game, Ndiaye said one of those fans had repeatedly used a racial slur; the fans denied it.

Two North Carolina newspapers reported that during North Carolina's 93-83 overtime victory over North Carolina Charlotte in the second round of the NCAA tournament, Ndiaye made a similar gesture to fans and to the UNC Charlotte band.
    A real prince of a guy, that Makhtar. Though he did inspire one of my favorite signs in Cameron of all time: "NDIAYE IS A NDERK."
    Last edited by Tom B.; 12-09-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

When UNC was at the line near the end, my eardrums gave up. All I could hear was a low hum. What a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Welcome back. Missed you. Now, what about Ed?

ricks
    A bit more than two decades before the game?

You can watch the whole game here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqGD4R-22k
    That just shot a chunk of my afternoon.

-Roshown made huge baskets in the final 2 minutes
    -Carawell scored only one basket, the one that gave Duke the lead right at the end. He then took a horrible shot on our last possession
    -It is amazing how far offensive basketball has come. Watching this game compared to the chalk talk happening in the Phase II thread, which analyzes our current floppy and horns sets, is like night and day. 1998 was all about clear out one side for post entries and some minor high screens. We aren't really trying to set up guys to shoot 3s, even though the shot was so much closer. It's fun to watch the game evolve.

There are few opposing players I was ever happier to see leave than Antawn Jamison.
    Yep. Add to that list Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace.

Sincerely,
    Still Traumatised By Sheed's Dunk

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The missing adjective would precede "Holes".
    Noun, but who am I to quibble.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Noun, but who am I to quibble.
    You are right - mostly 'cause it wouldn't modify a hole.

I just read that the Knicks are offering Ndiaye a scouting job - this thread conjured him up somehow!

You can watch the whole game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqGD4R-22k
    Thanks!! That was well worth taking 2 hours out of my day to watch.

One of my memories of that game was Cota - despite UNC being up big - allowing the inbounds pass to roll toward midcourt (exactly like you do when you are trying to save the clock). I remember thinking that was dumb given their lead, and hoped it would come back to bite them.

I was a freshman that year, and it was the loudest game I have ever been to. Just an incredible environment in that second half.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Welcome back. Missed you. Now, what about Ed?

ricks
    Thank you.

Ed? Ed too is forty this year, or old enough to have sired children in Mr Tatum's age cohort.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Watching this game compared to the chalk talk happening in the Phase II thread, which analyzes our current floppy and horns sets, is like night and day. 1998 was all about clear out one side for post entries and some minor high screens. We aren't really trying to set up guys to shoot 3s, even though the shot was so much closer. It's fun to watch the game evolve.
    Hopefully Roy continues not to notice.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    WRONG! They have been cheating since Frank McGuire and he left in 1960.
    I thought they were cheating during McGuire ' s tenure, also. How is that not so?

ricks