Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Old Roy

Ya' gotta believe that Roy's quote seems like a great "Fake News" story, except that it is true word-for-word. I can imagine Brevity or DevilDeac or OPK making up something like this. Then Brice Johnson comes roaring in and throws some more logs on the fire.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ya' gotta believe that Roy's quote seems like a great "Fake News" story, except that it is true word-for-word. I can imagine Brevity or DevilDeac or OPK making up something like this. Then Brice Johnson comes roaring in and throws some more logs on the fire.
    Thanks, but when it comes to ol roy, he makes/writes/quotes his own material. Who could ever forget, "I don't give a sh*t about c*rolina." (asterisks mine )

In fact, did DBR have a shirt with that quote on it many years ago? I've still got the GTHC shirt (in fact, I proudly own several of them ) and had the I Said No to Dean shirt (from the D'oh hire) with all the folks who turned down the cheaters' MBB coaching job a while back but can't remember if the famous KU quote was ever put on a tee.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thanks, but when it comes to ol roy, he makes/writes/quotes his own material. Who could ever forget, "I don't give a sh*t about c*rolina." (asterisks mine )

In fact, did DBR have a shirt with that quote on it many years ago? I've still got the GTHC shirt (in fact, I proudly own several of them ) and had the I Said No to Dean shirt (from the D'oh hire) with all the folks who turned down the cheaters' MBB coaching job a while back but can't remember if the famous KU quote was ever put on a tee.
    I believe the shirt read "I agree with Roy".

Also, where are my sporks in the "Do We Still Use The Quote with the Blue Devil Inside" thread that were promised?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...uot-logo/page2

That "I Said No to Dean" shirt was awesome. I wish I had one. My only DBR gear is one of those hats that says "Duke Basketball Report."

It just occurred to me that the hat might be older than next year's incoming class.

I thought the same thing when I read this a few minutes ago. If he really said this, it's amazing he'd insult the t*rh**l faithful like that. Of course, we insult them on multiple levels here on an hourly basis (or, in my case, even more frequently ).
    Does internal dialogue count? Then it is every second of every day, 24/7, awake or asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Ol Roy's bus needs new tires.
    I'm not sure his bus fleet is large enough to throw that many people under it/them.
    Well, the dean domers don't move very fast, so one bus has time to go back and forth multiple times - but those walkers will take a toll on the bus tires. Also, if you start throwing the whine and cheese crowd under the bus toward the end of the game, most have already left the stadium.

I just threw mine away a few months ago - it had become mere threads. The only thing legible was that Elián González had said, "no," to carolina.

"Whining" and "Wining"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Does internal dialogue count? Then it is every second of every day, 24/7, awake or asleep.

Well, the dean domers don't move very fast, so one bus has time to go back and forth multiple times - but those walkers will take a toll on the bus tires. Also, if you start throwing the whine and cheese crowd under the bus toward the end of the game, most have already left the stadium.
    This whining is par for the course for Ol' Roy, isn't it.

In regard to another reference to "wining", however, Andrew Carter made a mistake in today's N&O article. Sam Cassell's comment about the "wine and cheese" UNCHeat crowd was made on the occasion of the first meeting between UNC and FSU as ACC-member schools---December 15, 1991-- not in 1993. I know because I was on the team plane and attended the game. I was an FSU professor, having just returned from a professorship at the University of Cambridge. I had founded the Duke Club in North Florida and was asked by a friend, the executive director of Seminole Boosters, to accompany the FSU team on its first several road trips--to Virginia, NC State, UNC, and Duke. That was a really big deal to me, a basketball fan from a small town in central Florida.

At my recommendation the FSU team and party stayed at the Washington Duke Inn, not in Chapel Hill. The 20 fans who accompanied the team had a lovely tour of the Duke campus and a luncheon at the Duke alumni house. I wanted to keep my friends away from Chapel Hill and the UNC campus.

At that December game, the FSU fans got to observe first hand the arrogant behavior of Dean Smith, who on a couple of occasions during the game spoke directly to FSU players, including Charlie Ward, when in bounding the ball near the UNCHeat bench. Needless to say, that and other Smith stunts raised Pat Kennedy's ire, and ever after he hated Smith's guts to the nth degree. When Pat got angry, his face turned beet red. He was red that game.

Kennedy had determined to back door that UNC team to death. It worked. I had met up with Pat at a local watering hole in Tallahassee a few days before the trip and, responding to my question about how he was planning to beat UNC, Pat smiled and diagrammed 3 plays on a napkin, detailing the variations of the back doors he would use. He was always nervous as a cat before games; on this occasion several days before the game, he was calm and predicted that UNC would not stop his team. FSU would, as well, win the Tallahassee rematch the following February 110-96. Players like Cassell, Ward, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Rodney Dobard, and Chuck Graham were too talented, too quick for the CHeats. FSU finished 2nd in the league that season to Duke and the following season to UNC.

On the bus heading back to Durham after the game, Cassell was being kidded by Charlie Ward (who would go on to win the 1993 Heisman Trophy) about the former's reference to the UNC crowd. No one knew at the time that Sam's "wine and cheese" comment would enter Tobacco Road basketball lore.

BTW, Kennedy greatly admired Duke and K. Pat used to say that there were two unstoppable forces in college sports in the early '90s: Bobby Hurley dribbling a basketball and Charlie Ward anywhere on a football field.

FSU players were unanimous after the game that the Dean Dome was not particularly intimidating. The FSU party also contrasted the boorishness of Dean Smith with the warm welcome Duke had provided. One person, who had played for FSU many years before, contrasted Smith with Duke, as follows: "No class vs. class." That was before the vast apparatus of the athletic/academic cheating scheme was exposed. I think he got it right.

As an aside, I have enjoyed reading the many fine comments at this site over the last several years, although a bout of bad health has prevented me from posting. We Duke fans are fortunate that so many fans care enough to post here.
    Best regards.
    Blue Professor

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    This whining is par for the course for Ol' Roy, isn't it.

In regard to another reference to "wining", however, Andrew Carter made a mistake in today's N&O article. Sam Cassell's comment about the "wine and cheese" UNCHeat crowd was made on the occasion of the first meeting between UNC and FSU as ACC-member schools---December 15, 1991-- not in 1993. I know because I was on the team plane and attended the game. I was an FSU professor, having just returned from a professorship at the University of Cambridge. I had founded the Duke Club in North Florida and was asked by a friend, the executive director of Seminole Boosters, to accompany the FSU team on its first several road trips--to Virginia, NC State, UNC, and Duke. That was a really big deal to me, a basketball fan from a small town in central Florida.

At my recommendation the FSU team and party stayed at the Washington Duke Inn, not in Chapel Hill. The 20 fans who accompanied the team had a lovely tour of the Duke campus and a luncheon at the Duke alumni house. I wanted to keep my friends away from Chapel Hill and the UNC campus.

At that December game, the FSU fans got to observe first hand the arrogant behavior of Dean Smith, who on a couple of occasions during the game spoke directly to FSU players, including Charlie Ward, when in bounding the ball near the UNCHeat bench. Needless to say, that and other Smith stunts raised Pat Kennedy's ire, and ever after he hated Smith's guts to the nth degree. When Pat got angry, his face turned beet red. He was red that game.

Kennedy had determined to back door that UNC team to death. It worked. I had met up with Pat at a local watering hole in Tallahassee a few days before the trip and, responding to my question about how he was planning to beat UNC, Pat smiled and diagrammed 3 plays on a napkin, detailing the variations of the back doors he would use. He was always nervous as a cat before games; on this occasion several days before the game, he was calm and predicted that UNC would not stop his team. FSU would, as well, win the Tallahassee rematch the following February 110-96. Players like Cassell, Ward, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Rodney Dobard, and Chuck Graham were too talented, too quick for the CHeats. FSU finished 2nd in the league that season to Duke and the following season to UNC.

On the bus heading back to Durham after the game, Cassell was being kidded by Charlie Ward (who would go on to win the 1993 Heisman Trophy) about the former's reference to the UNC crowd. No one knew at the time that Sam's "wine and cheese" comment would enter Tobacco Road basketball lore.

BTW, Kennedy greatly admired Duke and K. Pat used to say that there were two unstoppable forces in college sports in the early '90s: Bobby Hurley dribbling a basketball and Charlie Ward anywhere on a football field.

FSU players were unanimous after the game that the Dean Dome was not particularly intimidating. The FSU party also contrasted the boorishness of Dean Smith with the warm welcome Duke had provided. One person, who had played for FSU many years before, contrasted Smith with Duke, as follows: "No class vs. class." That was before the vast apparatus of the athletic/academic cheating scheme was exposed. I think he got it right.

As an aside, I have enjoyed reading the many fine comments at this site over the last several years, although a bout of bad health has prevented me from posting. We Duke fans are fortunate that so many fans care enough to post here.
    Best regards.
    Blue Professor
    Thanks a mil! Wow! We have among us a witness to some of the great moments in ACC history. Be well!
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Great story, Blueprof ...

I was also in the Dean Dome that day. I can confirm that Cassell told the media about the "cheese and wine crowd" (he reversed the familiar order) ... but he also explained that he was just repeating what he was told by one of the FSU assistants before the game.

I've always wondered whether the assistant used the term "cheese and wine crowd" or whether he used the more common "wine and cheese crowd" and Cassell got it wrong when he repeated it to the press?

I will say that UNC has improved the atmosphere in the Dean Dome 100 percent since the late '80s and '90s. They had a home game with Maryland in 2000 (I think that's the year) when snow conditions were so bad that the opened the doors and let students (who were just about the only ones that could get there) in to sit anywhere. The atmosphere was so good that the powers that been worked in the offseason to redistribute seating to put students closer.

As I say, they improved the atmosphere tremendously -- although it remains one of the least intimidating venues in the ACC (except, as Roy notes, for "the freakin' Duke game").

PS ESPN Classic just got finished showing the 2012 game from the Smith Center -- the Austin Rivers moment of glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I was also in the Dean Dome that day. I can confirm that Cassell told the media about the "cheese and wine crowd" (he reversed the familiar order) ... but he also explained that he was just repeating what he was told by one of the FSU assistants before the game.

I've always wondered whether the assistant used the term "cheese and wine crowd" or whether he used the more common "wine and cheese crowd" and Cassell got it wrong when he repeated it to the press?
    I suppose the question about "right" or "wrong" is whether the UNC crowd was "cheesier" or "whinier?"
    Sage Grouse

Thank you, Blue Professor. I love history and hearing personal accounts of events. I hope that you are able to post often.

Didn't ol' Huck used to cheat, mhm coach at a place that always had enthusiastic sellout crowds. You're not in Kansas anymore, Huck!

Great story blueprof ! Thanks for sharing!

It did say I AGREE WITH ROY on the front and "I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now" on the back. I have one that I had him autograph. DBR posted a photo of it a long time ago. Maybe it'll be worth something one day . . .

A Bus Driver, Some Wine and Cheese, and an Incredible Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Olympic Fan, I think I can answer your questions about the original source of Sam Cassell's "cheese and wine" comment, as well as whether Sam changed the words in that original expression or repeated verbatim what he had heard before the game.

As you know, in past decades a bus driver usually was exclusively assigned to transport the visiting team and often got to know the players. On the occasion of the December 15, 1991, FSU-UNC game, that specific driver was a folksy, diehard Duke fan. He accompanied the Seminole players for the shoot-around at the Dean Dome the morning of the game. After 15 minutes or so of warm ups, that bus driver observed the seated, resting players looking around the spacious dome and decided to give the players an informal pep talk. Several players, including Charlie Ward, Byron Wells (more about him later), and Sam Cassell were sitting down with still other players mingling around or shooting. The coaches, including the indispensable rock of the team Tom Carlson (Pat Kennedy's brother-in-law) and the brainy and subtle motivator/psychologist Dave Zimroth, were nearby listening to the bus driver's amusing trash talk. Everybody, including the players, was chuckling at this Tobacco Road original's take down of all things UNC. The bus driver quickly settled on the CHeat fans: "Don't worry about these folks here; they sit on their hands 'cause they are a wine and cheese crowd!"

Now, Sam heard this remark as he was sitting next to Byron (with whom I chatted yesterday-- he is a principal in a local company). Byron confirmed this fact. Visualization of success, without any diversion, was particularly important that day, as Doug Edwards, as a consequence of brawling in the Florida A&M game, was suspended for the UNC game. Tom Carlson assured me that no coach would have ever told Sam anything about a crowd because it would, as Tom put it, "stir the pot", meaning mess with the player's mind. If Sam actually said that a coach (as opposed merely to someone) told him about the Dean Dome crowd, he misspoke, according to Tom. Or Sam was misquoted.

So, the original source of the wine and comment was a jocular and likable Tobacco Road, Duke loving bus driver who had befriended the FSU players in the short time he had spent with them. Byron said that the driver acted as if Duke had just won the national championship after FSU destroyed the Heels that day. He was genuinely happy for the players apart from his ultimate loyalty (the Good Lord and Duke, probably in that order). Moreover, Tom and Byron both confirmed the original comment was "wine and cheese" and that Sam merely had reordered the elements of the expression.

Byron Wells also recounted to me that Pat Kennedy had devised an offense, without Doug Edwards, that would work quite well against the Heels on that 1991 day. In practice several days before the trip, Kennedy placed 4 strips of tape around the perimeter and told each of Sam, Ward, Byron, and Sura to position himself on a tape strip and cut and back pick the entire game. Rodney Dobard, one of the most underrated ACC players of the period and the quickest, best jumper on the team, was to play near the basket. That offense played to FSU's strong suit of quick and good ball handlers who could shoot, thereby producing consistently good looks and made baskets. Kennedy kept it the rest of the year, even following Edwards' return from suspension. It worked well in the season's Tallahassee rematch with the CHeats to the tune of a 110-96 rout.

Unfortunately, the return engagement in Chapel Hill on January 27,1993, did not have a happy ending, although for 28 minutes and 17 seconds FSU destroyed UNC. Doug Edwards and Charlie Ward were sick with the flu that day, and Pat, in building a 21 point lead with just under 12 minutes to play, had not adequately rested the starters, who actually plead with the coaches to get a blow, too often without success. In fact, the starters, including the enervated Ward and Edwards, played 182 of the 200 minutes. With 11:43 to play, Coach Smith unleashed a full court press with the result that George Lynch's dunk with a bit over a minute to play put UNC ahead for good. After the game, a dejected Kennedy apologized to the team for his failure to provide the needed in-game rest. The UNC crowd, at full dome capacity with students on campus unlike the December 15, 1991, game, rushed the court. Before the game, the students had chanted, " Wine and blue cheese!" The FSU players, Byron and Sam Cassell included, remain super ticked off to this day that a coaching misjudgment cost them a 13-3 ACC regular season record and a tie with UNC as league leader. The effort expended in the 2nd half comeback may have affected UNC in their next two games: losses to Wake and Duke, respectively.

Byron confirmed what I posted here yesterday about Dean Smith's arrogance during the game, but enlarged the number of occasions of Smith's improper comments to FSU players during that 1991 game. According to Byron, no one on the FSU team had any doubt that Smith was trying to "get in the heads of our players." He said he and most of the players put UNC second only to Florida on their loathing list. His words, as well: "That Carolina Way is a complete sham." If he, instead, had used the phrase Potemkin village, it would not have surprised me, as he is a very smart fellow.

Byron Wells was cheered by the UNC crowd when he was introduced before that 1993 game and congratulated with high fives during the crowd rush afterward for something that had not even happened that day. Byron, in the Duke game in Tallahassee, just 3 days earlier, had shot the game winning 3-pointer in overtime for the FSU win. That play was interesting, as Byron explained. The play called by Kennedy in the huddle was for Sam Cassell to take the inbound pass and with Charlie Ward and Rodney Dobard to set back screens (Edwards for FSU and Grant Hill had fouled out) to free Bob Sura on the right side and Wells on the left corner. When they broke the huddle, Sam told Byron,
    "B, I am passing you the ball." Byron thought, "Sure, Sam!" as Sam was not inclined to ever not take a big shot. Everyone on the floor for the Devils, as well, obviously expected Cassell to take it, as was his habit 100% of the time until then. Unfortunately, everyone included Cherokee Parks, who was assigned to close out Wells. Cherokee took a step toward the dangerous Cassell who instantly passed to a surprised Wells. Wells, a 50% shooter that year but with only 25% from the arc (with a fairly low sample size because, in fairness, he had won the Florida three-point shooting title as a senior in high school), took his normal, very soft shot. It grazed the rim and curved around the far side rim as if in a whirlpool and dropped in as though pulled though by a weight. The next play, Ward, atoning for his missed assignment on the screen on the Wells' basket, stole the inbound pass from Hurley to seal the game 89-88. Byron since has good-naturedly referred to his shot as Wells' English.

Even though I still feel the pain, I am happy for Byron as he is a very fine fellow. I was not happy for my later co-chairman of the Duke AAA committee for 15 years: a former outstanding Duke women's tennis player, a partner in a prominent law firm, who found her office totally papered by her FSU partners. Unfortunately the Wells' heroics would portend a number of close Duke losses and other white-knuckle games in Tallahassee.

Best regards.
    Blue Professor
    Last edited by -jk; 12-04-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Olympic Fan, I think I can answer your questions about the original source of Sam Cassell's "cheese and wine" comment, as well as whether Sam changed the words in that original expression or repeated verbatim what he had heard before the game.

As you know, in past decades a bus driver usually was exclusively assigned to transport the visiting team and often got to know the players. On the occasion of the December 15, 1991, FSU-UNC game, that specific driver was a folksy, diehard Duke fan. He accompanied the Seminole players for the shoot-around at the Dean Dome the morning of the game. After 15 minutes or so of warm ups, that bus driver observed the seated, resting players looking around the spacious dome and decided to give the players an informal pep talk. Several players, including Charlie Ward, Byron Wells (more about him later), and Sam Cassell were sitting down with still other players mingling around or shooting. The coaches, including the indispensable rock of the team Tom Carlson (Pat Kennedy's brother-in-law) and the brainy and subtle motivator/psychologist Dave Zimroth, were nearby listening to the bus driver's amusing trash talk. Everybody, including the players, was chuckling at this Tobacco Road original's take down of all things UNC. The bus driver quickly settled on the CHeat fans: "Don't worry about these folks here; they sit on their hands 'cause they are a wine and cheese crowd!"

Now, Sam heard this remark as he was sitting next to Byron (with whom I chatted yesterday-- he is a principal in a local company). Byron confirmed this fact. Visualization of success, without any diversion, was particularly important that day, as Doug Edwards, as a consequence of brawling in the Florida A&M game, was suspended for the UNC game. Tom Carlson assured me that no coach would have ever told Sam anything about a crowd because it would, as Tom put it, "stir the pot", meaning mess with the player's mind. If Sam actually said that a coach (as opposed merely to someone) told him about the Dean Dome crowd, he misspoke, according to Tom. Or Sam was misquoted.

So, the original source of the wine and comment was a jocular and likable Tobacco Road, Duke loving bus driver who had befriended the FSU players in the short time he had spent with them. Byron said that the driver acted as if Duke had just won the national championship after FSU destroyed the Heels that day. He was genuinely happy for the players apart from his ultimate loyalty (the Good Lord and Duke, probably in that order). Moreover, Tom and Byron both confirmed the original comment was "wine and cheese" and that Sam merely had reordered the elements of the expression.

Byron Wells also recounted to me that Pat Kennedy had devised an offense, without Doug Edwards, that would work quite well against the Heels on that 1991 day. In practice several days before the trip, Kennedy placed 4 strips of tape around the perimeter and told each of Sam, Ward, Byron, and Sura to position himself on a tape strip and cut and back pick the entire game. Rodney Dobard, one of the most underrated ACC players of the period and the quickest, best jumper on the team, was to play near the basket. That offense played to FSU's strong suit of quick and good ball handlers who could shoot, thereby producing consistently good looks and made baskets. Kennedy kept it the rest of the year, even following Edwards' return from suspension. It worked well in the season's Tallahassee rematch with the CHeats to the tune of a 110-96 rout.

Unfortunately, the return engagement in Chapel Hill on January 27,1993, did not have a happy ending, although for 28 minutes and 17 seconds FSU destroyed UNC. Doug Edwards and Charlie Ward were sick with the flu that day, and Pat, in building a 21 point lead with just under 12 minutes to play, had not adequately rested the starters, who actually plead with the coaches to get a blow, too often without success. In fact, the starters, including the enervated Ward and Edwards, played 182 of the 200 minutes. With 11:43 to play, Coach Smith unleashed a full court press with the result that George Lynch's dunk with a bit over a minute to play put UNC ahead for good. After the game, a dejected Kennedy apologized to the team for his failure to provide the needed in-game rest. The UNC crowd, at full dome capacity with students on campus unlike the December 15, 1991, game, rushed the court. Before the game, the students had chanted, " Wine and blue cheese!" The FSU players, Byron and Sam Cassell included, remain super ticked off to this day that a coaching misjudgment cost them a 13-3 ACC regular season record and a tie with UNC as league leader. The effort expended in the 2nd half comeback may have affected UNC in their next two games: losses to Wake and Duke, respectively.

Byron confirmed what I posted here yesterday about Dean Smith's arrogance during the game, but enlarged the number of occasions of Smith's improper comments to FSU players during that 1991 game. According to Byron, no one on the FSU team had any doubt that Smith was trying to "get in the heads of our players." He said he and most of the players put UNC second only to Florida on their loathing list. His words, as well: "That Carolina Way is a complete sham." If he, instead, had used the phrase Potemkin village, it would not have surprised me, as he is a very smart fellow.

Byron Wells was cheered by the UNC crowd when he was introduced before that 1993 game and congratulated with high fives during the crowd rush afterward for something that had not even happened that day. Byron, in the Duke game in Tallahassee, just 3 days earlier, had shot the game winning 3-pointer in overtime for the FSU win. That play was interesting, as Byron explained. The play called by Kennedy in the huddle was for Sam Cassell to take the inbound pass and with Charlie Ward and Rodney Dobard to set back screens (Edwards for FSU and Grant Hill had fouled out) to free Bob Sura on the right side and Wells on the left corner. When they broke the huddle, Sam told Byron,
    "B, I am passing you the ball." Byron thought, "Sure, Sam!" as Sam was not inclined to ever not take a big shot. Everyone on the floor for the Devils, as well, obviously expected Cassell to take it, as was his habit 100% of the time until then. Unfortunately, everyone included Cherokee Parks, who was assigned to close out Wells. Cherokee took a step toward the dangerous Cassell who instantly passed to a surprised Wells. Wells, a 50% shooter that year but with only 25% from the arc (with a fairly low sample size because, in fairness, he had won the Florida three-point shooting title as a senior in high school), took his normal, very soft shot. It grazed the rim and curved around the far side rim as if in a whirlpool and dropped in as though pulled though by a weight. The next play, Ward, atoning for his missed assignment on the screen on the Wells' basket, stole the inbound pass from Hurley to seal the game 89-88. Byron since has good-naturedly referred to his shot as Wells' English.

Even though I still feel the pain, I am happy for Byron as he is a very fine fellow. I was not happy for my later co-chairman of the Duke AAA committee for 15 years: a former outstanding Duke women's tennis player, a partner in a prominent law firm, who found her office totally papered by her FSU partners. Unfortunately the Wells' heroics would portend a number of close Duke losses and other white-knuckle games in Tallahassee.

Best regards.
    Blue Professor
    As a younger Duke and Dartmouth fan (hence, keggy the keg) thank you, blueprofessor!

I agree with Olympic Fan, Sagegrouse, Indoor66, Pghdukie -- what great posts and fascinating stories with your providing so much eyewitness background to memorable events that are huge in ACC basketball history. Please post as often as you can!
    Last edited by -jk; 12-04-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

I was EXCEPTIONALLY bored (and home with stomach flu) last week and ventured over to hear the whining on IC about this topic. Some of the unhappy sheep backed old Roy for pointing out the quietness of the Nose Dome and the old fuddyduds down front. (One even said he had gone to a game and one of the moldy oldies had poked him with his cane when he got up to cheer). Others were mad at Old Roy for throwing another group of people under the bus.

As an aside, we attended the Maine game yesterday. Shout out to the Crazies, who were hopping all game. No, it wasn't exactly superior competition, but you wouldn't have known it from the crowd noise. And there weren't many empty seats. Wonder what sounds would have emanated from the lower level of the Nose Dome if the sheep played Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post
    I was EXCEPTIONALLY bored (and home with stomach flu) last week and ventured over to hear the whining on IC about this topic. Some of the unhappy sheep backed old Roy for pointing out the quietness of the Nose Dome and the old fuddyduds down front. (One even said he had gone to a game and one of the moldy oldies had poked him with his cane when he got up to cheer). Others were mad at Old Roy for throwing another group of people under the bus.

As an aside, we attended the Maine game yesterday. Shout out to the Crazies, who were hopping all game. No, it wasn't exactly superior competition, but you wouldn't have known it from the crowd noise. And there weren't many empty seats. Wonder what sounds would have emanated from the lower level of the Nose Dome if the sheep played Maine.

I'd guess bleating and/or flatulence.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The popping of corks, the pouring of wine into waiting goblets, and the warm whispers of soft brie spread across the crusty tops of toast points!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    The popping of corks, the pouring of wine into waiting goblets, and the warm whispers of soft brie spread across the crusty tops of toast points!
    I picture them as more of a Boone's Farm and Velveeta crowd.