Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    I really enjoyed Doug Collins on last night's broadcast. OTOH, Seth Greenberg continued to prove himself a fool by insisting that the 3/4 press was hurting Duke, when everyone else saw how it disrupted UVa and eased the defensive burden on our guys.
    I agree on both counts. Doug Collins was great and really refreshing to hear. I also was dumbfounded when Uncle Fester said that our press was hurting us...made absolutely zero sense. Virginia is used to taking up the whole shot clock so when we made them take more time in the backcourt, they weren't used to initiating their offense so quickly. Hence, the few shot clock violations. The 30 sec shot clock really helped us last night - 35 sec and it could have honestly been a different game.

I also thought it was bizarre that Jalen and Seth at halftime were talking like Virginia dominated the half and Duke had no answer. It was a four point game...I think commentators in general lend too much credence at halftime to just "who is winning" and then pick out plays that fit the narrative. In fact, when it went back to live broadcast at the beginning of the second half, they showed about 6 highlights where Duke missed all their shots and UVa made all theirs. I don't think there's some consipiracy here -- simply that UVa was ahead and they wanted to show why. But four points is nothing, so seems odd that they'd emphasize that so much. It was a relatively balanced first half with a small UVa spurt at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree on both counts. Doug Collins was great and really refreshing to hear. I also was dumbfounded when Uncle Fester said that our press was hurting us...made absolutely zero sense. Virginia is used to taking up the whole shot clock so when we made them take more time in the backcourt, they weren't used to initiating their offense so quickly. Hence, the few shot clock violations. The 30 sec shot clock really helped us last night - 35 sec and it could have honestly been a different game.

I also thought it was bizarre that Jalen and Seth at halftime were talking like Virginia dominated the half and Duke had no answer. It was a four point game...I think commentators in general lend too much credence at halftime to just "who is winning" and then pick out plays that fit the narrative. In fact, when it went back to live broadcast at the beginning of the second half, they showed about 6 highlights where Duke missed all their shots and UVa made all theirs. I don't think there's some consipiracy here -- simply that UVa was ahead and they wanted to show why. But four points is nothing, so seems odd that they'd emphasize that so much. It was a relatively balanced first half with a small UVa spurt at the end.
    Doug Collins knows what he's talking about. Jalen and Seth are clowns. The press caused Virginia to shoot with the shot clock about to expire and a few times the shot clock expired. Great move by Coach K. GoDuke!

From N&O article today... this little tidbit from Bilas' interview struck me as indicative of his mindset as an ESPN disciple and Skipper butt kisser: "I'm a realist that we all serve at the pleasure of our superiors..."

How else does one explain his love affair with UNC and willingness to dismiss their cheating on the basis of supposed technicalities? I'm now firmly in the camp that he's saying whatever he has to say to get paid.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    From N&O article today... this little tidbit from Bilas' interview struck me as indicative of his mindset as an ESPN disciple and Skipper butt kisser: "I'm a realist that we all serve at the pleasure of our superiors..."

How else does one explain his love affair with UNC and willingness to dismiss their cheating on the basis of supposed technicalities? I'm now firmly in the camp that he's saying whatever he has to say to get paid.
    I think that's a preposterous position. What is being said by the commentators hardly matters at all to ESPN brass (or anyone else, probably). It's really just show biz, jock-style. The bosses are in a business and are totally concerned with conference and league contracts, ad dollars, subscription revenue (and the decline thereof), and alternative ways to reach viewers.

Jay is an esteemed professional, with whom I frequently disagree (I can feel his heart being broken as I type this). He is at the absolute top of college basketball broadcasting, and I am pleased to see a Duke basketball player (and a loyal one, despite all the junk that gets posted here) do well.

Jay Williams is coming along, although more slowly than I had hoped. He's got a great job in sports broadcasting and a bright future. By the way, Jay's paean to UNC hoops may look a tad more reasonable with the Heels' goring of the Cavaliers tonight.

Seth Davis is also in a really good position, and I think he does an excellent job. His kindness to my nine-year-old granddaughter at the Final Four in 2015 redeems him in my eyes -- he blew off the 100th anniversary Chronicle reunion a few years ago after accepting an invitation to speak.

The other Duke guys are fun to listen to: G-man, Spanarkel, Alaa. There are probably a bunch of others.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'This is a Duke fan site and Duke guys (and gals) are gonna get defended here, even when there are problems'
    "Alaa did the in-arena broadcasting at the 2015 Final Four. Who knew there was in-arena broadcasting?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Some will defend Jay Bilas, and some will attack Jay Bilas.

As for me, I will only say, I just don't understand his constant gushing over UNC. Tonight against UVA, he went so far as to admire the way UNC retires some numbers and simply honors others. He said, "It's really cool".

The other night, he talked about how great their Big-Man Program was for the millionth time.

Maybe I'm defensive, but I rarely hear him talk that way about Duke. I don't expect him too, but c'mon man!! Why all the love for UNC???

I just don't get it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post

As for me, I will only say, I just don't understand his constant gushing over UNC. Tonight against UVA, he went so far as to admire the way UNC retires some numbers and simply honors others. He said, "It's really cool".

The other night, he talked about how great their Big-Man Program was for the millionth time.

Maybe I'm defensive, but I rarely hear him talk that way about Duke. I don't expect him too, but c'mon man!! Why all the love for UNC???

I just don't get it!!!!
    Maybe he thinks if Duke did it this way, he would have had a shot at being honored, since he wouldn't be retired??

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post

I just don't get it!!!!
    To be fair, Paige and Johnson were being honored, so it was relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think that's a preposterous position. What is being said by the commentators hardly matters at all to ESPN brass (or anyone else, probably). It's really just show biz, jock-style. The bosses are in a business and are totally concerned with conference and league contracts, ad dollars, subscription revenue (and the decline thereof), and alternative ways to reach viewers.

Jay is an esteemed professional, with whom I frequently disagree (I can feel his heart being broken as I type this). He is at the absolute top of college basketball broadcasting, and I am pleased to see a Duke basketball player (and a loyal one, despite all the junk that gets posted here) do well.

Jay Williams is coming along, although more slowly than I had hoped. He's got a great job in sports broadcasting and a bright future. By the way, Jay's paean to UNC hoops may look a tad more reasonable with the Heels' goring of the Cavaliers tonight.

Seth Davis is also in a really good position, and I think he does an excellent job. His kindness to my nine-year-old granddaughter at the Final Four in 2015 redeems him in my eyes -- he blew off the 100th anniversary Chronicle reunion a few years ago after accepting an invitation to speak.

The other Duke guys are fun to listen to: G-man, Spanarkel, Alaa. There are probably a bunch of others.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'This is a Duke fan site and Duke guys (and gals) are gonna get defended here, even when there are problems'
    "Alaa did the in-arena broadcasting at the 2015 Final Four. Who knew there was in-arena broadcasting?"
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion as well. I myself have a very hard time reconciling his constant gushing and, more importantly, his apologist attitude toward UNC's cheating over the last several years. For a few years now he has inexplicably played down UNC's proven cheating nearly to the point of denial and has gone out of his way to defend Roy as having no knowledge of any of it. Now he has shifted his argument to one based on technicalities and continued his rant against the NCAA -- very much in line with the UNC party line.

Let's be clear, I'm not calling Bilas out for any anti-Duke sentiment. I believe he is a loyal Dukie through and through. But his tiresome gushing over a very good (but not heads above all others) program this year and his unwavering defense of a program (and its leaders) that perpetuated the worst cheating scandal in college basketball history are just too much for ME to believe that he isn't pandering to his ultimate superior.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion as well. I myself have a very hard time reconciling his constant gushing and, more importantly, his apologist attitude toward UNC's cheating over the last several years. For a few years now he has inexplicably played down UNC's proven cheating nearly to the point of denial and has gone out of his way to defend Roy as having no knowledge of any of it. Now he has shifted his argument to one based on technicalities and continued his rant against the NCAA -- very much in line with the UNC party line.

Let's be clear, I'm not calling Bilas out for any anti-Duke sentiment. I believe he is a loyal Dukie through and through. But his tiresome gushing over a very good (but not heads above all others) program this year and his unwavering defense of a program (and its leaders) that perpetuated the worst cheating scandal in college basketball history are just too much for ME to believe that he isn't pandering to his ultimate superior.
    Thanks for not objecting to a contrary opinion. Two additional points: Does Jay fawn excessively over UNC or does he just despise the NCAA and its regulatory framework and practices? I understand Jay's point about academics being beyond the scope of the NCAA, but I profoundly disagree with him on the NCAA's acquiescence to a set of practices that, if permitted, would be adopted everywhere and result in college athletes getting no education whatsoever. The fact that the NCAA has to skate along the edges of academics by citing "assistance not available to non-athletes" is understandable under these circumstances. Yep, and Al Capone got nailed for tax evasion, not murder.

Second, I have trouble believing arguments that ESPN announcers are currying favor with John Skipper, a UNC graduate. Those of us on this and other boards are really sports fans who live to see teams win and lose. Surely Skipper (who has a master's in English literature from Columbia and worked as an editor at Rolling Stone) and others in similar positions detest watching sports on TV given that they have to live it 50+ hours a week in the office. It's a business first and "fun stuff" would lie elsewhere. As a result, I doubt Skipper cares one way or another what Bilas and JWill have to say about UNC's hoops team. Moreover, (and it pains this fan to say this) UNC is having an outstanding season. The UNC athletic scandal is a different matter because it is hard news with its own story line far different from who wins on the court.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Thanks for not objecting to a contrary opinion. Two additional points: Does Jay fawn excessively over UNC or does he just despise the NCAA and its regulatory framework and practices? I understand Jay's point about academics being beyond the scope of the NCAA, but I profoundly disagree with him on the NCAA's acquiescence to a set of practices that, if permitted, would be adopted everywhere and result in college athletes getting no education whatsoever. The fact that the NCAA has to skate along the edges of academics by citing "assistance not available to non-athletes" is understandable under these circumstances. Yep, and Al Capone got nailed for tax evasion, not murder.
    my two cents -

i have been deeply disappointed by jay's commentary around unc's academic scandal. the notion you have sighted - that jay objects to the ncaa's handling of the case because one can argue (dubiously in my opinion) that the ncaa is not operating within its framework - is simply his latest position. not coincidentally it is completely in line with unc's latest position ("yes, we did bad, but it's not in your jurisdiction, so have a nice day"). if you look back at jay's commentary historically, it has been more about two rogue administrators and every school having some easy classes. not coincidentally, these also were in lockstep with unc's positions at the time.

in general, jay's anti-ncaa position originally seemed to be based on a desire to better the lot of the student athlete. so, while i disagreed with him on many points, i was happy to learn from his perspective. but his position (err... positions) on the unc scandal - where would-be student athletes were shamelessly taken advantage of - makes it abundantly clear that his purpose is something different.

There are similarities between working for any organization which is having financial problems, whether it's a bank, a manufacturing company, or a sports network.

ESPN is experiencing a significant (but sustainable for the time being) erosion of revenue and profit...as such, it's not too surprising to me that guys like Bilas and Williams are
    displaying significant (if dismaying) levels of suckitude towards their boss. I tried for a long time to find other reasons for their behavior, but I've given up.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    my two cents -

i have been deeply disappointed by jay's commentary around unc's academic scandal. the notion you have sighted - that jay objects to the ncaa's handling of the case because one can argue (dubiously in my opinion) that the ncaa is not operating within its framework - is simply his latest position. not coincidentally it is completely in line with unc's latest position ("yes, we did bad, but it's not in your jurisdiction, so have a nice day"). if you look back at jay's commentary historically, it has been more about two rogue administrators and every school having some easy classes. not coincidentally, these also were in lockstep with unc's positions at the time.

in general, jay's anti-ncaa position originally seemed to be based on a desire to better the lot of the student athlete. so, while i disagreed with him on many points, i was happy to learn from his perspective. but his position (err... positions) on the unc scandal - where would-be student athletes were shamelessly taken advantage of - makes it abundantly clear that his purpose is something different.
    Jay Bilas is a brown noser. He's sucking up to his boss in the biggest way and should be ashamed of it. But his ego will not permit it. GoDuke!

my two cents -

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There are similarities between working for any organization which is having financial problems, whether it's a bank, a manufacturing company, or a sports network.

ESPN is experiencing a significant (but sustainable for the time being) erosion of revenue and profit...as such, it's not too surprising to me that guys like Bilas and Williams are
    displaying significant (if dismaying) levels of suckitude towards their boss. I tried for a long time to find other reasons for their behavior, but I've given up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jay Bilas is a brown noser. He's sucking up to his boss in the biggest way and should be ashamed of it. But his ego will not permit it. GoDuke!
    IMHO (where the H ran away with the Spoon a long, long time ago), Jay Bilas is a top-notch professional with strong, consistent, but deeply controversial opinions about the NCAA, which leads him to doubt the case against UNC. It appears that I am the only person here who has this view.
    Sage Grouse

^ just as a wee clarification of what I'm saying, Sage, Bilas's suckitude towards unc seems to go well beyond the NCAA case, extends to their on court wondrousness
    to an extent I just can't otherwise explain (other than the suckitude to John Skipper angle).

Could someone please explain a statement made by Bilas during the UVA-unc game last night:

While discussing the UVA-VaTech game when London's late shot balanced on the rim, Bilas stated that it was "like getting a parking ticket at night".

Huh?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Could someone please explain a statement made by Bilas during the UVA-unc game last night:

While discussing the UVA-VaTech game when London's late shot balanced on the rim, Bilas stated that it was "like getting a parking ticket at night".

Huh?!?
    Yeah, that was way strange. As I recall, it was followed by several beats of awkward silence.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Huh?!?
    Short answer: It's an incredibly unlikely misfortune.

Long answer: Generally, people don't get parking tickets at night because no one is around to check parking meters. (Some vigilant lot owners might call their towing agency, but that's a different problem.) If you manage to get ticketed after dark, you have lost despite favorable odds.

Similarly, I guess, a shot either goes in or misses. Normally the worst that can happen is that you miss and lose the rebound, ending your possession. But if the ball stays up there (more likely wedged against the rim than what happened here), your possession ends automatically, despite favorable odds.

It's an illustrative statement to make but requires a real leap in logic. I don't think it will catch on.

IMHO (where the H ran away with the Spoon a long, long time ago), Jay Bilas is a top-notch professional with strong, consistent, but deeply controversial opinions about the NCAA, which leads him to doubt the case against UNC. It appears that I am the only person here who has this view.
    i find a lot to agree with in what you've stated here. i believe jay is exceptionally skilled in his profession. he also seems to have deeply held beliefs about the ncaa. just help me understand where you are coming from on this - do you think the case against unc may be dubious or are you implying that jay's beliefs have led him to a misguided judgment in the unc case? obviously, the former is not worth debating in this particular thread.

i find a lot to agree with in what you've stated here. i believe jay is exceptionally skilled in his profession. he also seems to have deeply held beliefs about the ncaa. just help me understand where you are coming from on this - do you think the case against unc may be dubious or are you implying that jay's beliefs have led him to a misguided judgment in the unc case? obviously, the former is not worth debating in this particular thread.
    I think UNC is gonna get smacked hard by the NCAA, and it deserves all of it: scholarships, banners, financial penalties, post-season bans and more.

Jay Bilas believes college athletes in revenue sports are essentially professionals, should get paid, and should have the right to sell their images for dough. He is, therefore, totally a-kilter with the NCAA rules and regulations. Consequently, he believes that the problems with the athletic department's engineering for its athletes content-free courses of no educational value, while despicable, is a matter for the accreditation organization (SACSOC) not the NCAA.

He also believes that the NCAA procedures are counter to sound legal processes; therefore, the COI should not be headed by the Commissioner of the SEC, Greg Sankey, but should have independent professionals in charge, essentially administrative law judges. Jay's a lawyer and a litigator; his position can be understood. I think he's wrong; the NCAA is essentially a club that enforces its own rules. So be it.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'By the way, the football-mad SEC couldn't care a flying fortescue about what happens to UNC'
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 02-19-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Sage Grouse

I think UNC is gonna get smacked hard by the NCAA, and it deserves all of it: scholarships, banners, financial penalties, post-season bans and more.

Jay Bilas believes college athletes in revenue sports are essentially professionals, should get paid, and should have the right to sell their images for dough. He is, therefore, totally a-kilter with the NCAA rules and regulations. Consequently, he believes that the problems with the athletic department's engineering for its athletes content-free courses of no educational value, while despicable, is a matter for the accreditation organization (SACSOC) not the NCAA.

He also believes that the NCAA procedures are counter to sound legal processes; therefore, the COI should not be headed by the Commissioner of the SEC, Greg Sankey, but should have independent professionals in charge, essentially administrative law judges. Jay's a lawyer and a litigator; his position can be understood. I think he's wrong; the NCAA is essentially a club that enforces its own rules. So be it.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'By the way, the football-mad SEC couldn't care a flying fortescue about what happens to UNC'
    thanks for humoring me. a few points:
    1) "he believes...while despicable" - i have never received the impression from jay's commentary that he views what went down at unc as despicable; perhaps i've missed it, but i have only seen him downplaying the significance of the scandal - and this is probably one of the most disappointing aspects of his commentary. he may have slipped it in as a preamble to his outrage against the ncaa, but clearly his emphasis has not been on the true outrage here and he's actively seeking to come to the defense of the guilty party.
    2) i agree, if i were a lawyer i'd probably believe the ncaa process is flawed and in need of upgrading. i also do think unc is a dubious choice to use as a poster child for the process failing to safeguard the schools, since the case demonstrates the need for flexibility for the ncaa to continue to safeguard the student athletes from the schools.
    3) the thing that really gets my goat with jay's most recent commentary is that he has changed his position and done it in lockstep with unc changing its position. specifically, the shift from "everyone has easy classes" nonsense to "the ncaa is operating outside of its jurisdiction" approach. both positions are not credible to me (and both hurt to hear come out of jay's mouth), but, putting that aside, why would an intelligent and independent-minded person be so synced up (in terms of message and timing) with the misinformation being put forward by unc?

i could rationalize away all of this, but even my most kind interpretation is that jay is not being objective here in sticking up for his friends and, by doing so, is doing wrong.

sorry to badger you - i'll leave it alone now!