Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I put Tom Izzo and Tony Bennett together.
    "So do we." - NCAA Selection Committee (in 2014, 2015, and 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I don't know what point you're trying to make. That teams don't go undefeated? The vast majority of the losses you listed are easily better than losing to NC State at home. Many of the losses you listed don't even qualify as bad losses.

I'm not trying to give Duke a hard time; we've clearly improved and are doing very well. But the NC State loss was a horrible loss for our seeding resume.
    I think Brevity's point was that almost everyone has a blemish on their resume at this point.

I think the counter point to your bolded point above is that Duke now has multiple wins that are better than most other teams' best wins. @ND, vUNC, nUF (n = neutral), @UVA is a really strong core of wins. There's no denying that. I'd put those up against any team's best 4 wins.

How about Gonzaga, for example? nUF (smaller margin), nISU (currently unranked), nZona, @St Marys.
    Villanova? @Purdue, @Creighton, vUVA, and then probably nNotre Dame.
    Kansas? @UK, vBaylor, vWVU (in overtime), and nDuke.

Those are three of Lunardi's current #1 seeds (I didn't exclude Baylor on purpose, just thought those three were enough to get the point across). And we stack up really well in the "best wins" consideration. Where we don't stack up is simply in the loss column. And four of our five losses are in conference (3 of which were on the road), and frankly I think those will be discounted as a cost of doing business in the ACC.

Listen, I agree the NC State loss was definitely a bad one. But I don't think it's as damning as your opinion sounds. If Duke wins out, I guarantee that we'd get a 1 seed. And if Duke wins the ACC Reg Season and ACC Tourney (but drops one somewhere else), I'd also expect us to be a 1 seed. The point is not so much that NC State was an OK loss (it wasn't) as much as you can drop a game like that and still be OK seeding wise. After all, it was a conference game and a competitive one at that where we had a chance to win or tie on the last play.

Sorry, I just realized I posted all of this in the NW thread. My bad. NW is a good team! (did that shameless plug keep me on topic?)

- Chillin

Duke's loss to NC State illustrates the problem with sitting there on Selection Sunday and looking at resumes.

Teams change over the course of the season and often timing matters. For instance, a team that beat Duke in early January (without Allen or without Jefferson) is not beating the Duke team that we see today (and hope to see on Selection Sunday).

Duke's loss to NC State looks worse and worse as the Pack spiral out of control. The Pack looks like its going to lose its last 11 games to finish 14-18. It will have an RPI well over 100.

That's a bad loss.

But the Wolfpack team that Duke lost to was not that bad on Jan. 23. That win made the Pack 14-7 with an RPI of near 50. State had recently blown out an NCAA-bound Virginia Tech team and beaten a Pitt team that is going to finish close to the top 50 in the RPI.

They weren't a great team, but they weren't a terrible team ... at the time.

Obviously, what's happened to State since changes the perception. The next time out, they lost at Louisville. No big deal -- a lot of teams lose at Louisville, but they bounced back and had Syracuse beat until they let John Gillon go off (a performance he hasn't matched since. Gillon hit a game-tying 3 at the buzzer, the Cuse dominated the overtime and State was on a two-game losing streak. It went to three straight when Miami came to Raleigh and State let a game it led most of the way get away.

That appears to have been the breaking point. Some teams -- Clemson and Pitt come to mind -- have withstood disappointment and heartbreak this season and have kept fighting. State appeared to quit after the Miami game. Their last three games have all been blowout losses. It's hard to see them getting it back ... maybe Tuesday, Mar. 7 when they played the 10 or 11 seed in a first round ACC Tournament game.

My point is, the longer State's slide continues, the worse it makes Duke's loss to the Pack look. In reality, it wasn't a good loss at the time ... but it was not as bad as it's going to look on Selection Sunday.

The committee is supposed to take things like that into account. Frankly, I doubt most committee members have the basketball knowledge to understand the difference between the State team that they will look at on Mar. 12 and the one that beat Duke back in January.

NU struggling again. Losing by 6 to Rutgers under 9 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    NU struggling again. Losing by 6 to Rutgers under 9 to go.
    Oy. That would be bad. Would put the heat back on them. Gotta win at home against Rutgers.

McIntosh hit a 3 with a minute to go. NU up by 2

NU up 3 with 13 seconds left. Watching with my daughter, a NU junior!

NU up 2, with the ball, 3.2 seconds left. Doug Collins has turned purple, in the stands.

NU comes back to defeat Rutgers 69-65 after losing 3 of 4.
    The win puts NU at 9-5 in Big Ten with a remaining schedule of two road games at Illinois & at Indiana and two home games against Michigan & Purdue.
    The 'Cats are still solidly in the hunt for a coveted 4-Seed in the Conference Tourney.

NU holds on to win by 4. Doug Collins looks wiped out. Chris looks pretty cool and collected.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Doug Collins has turned purple, in the stands.
    A true Northwestern fan. Who needs face paint?

A couple of notes on the Wildcat Win:

NU reaches 20 wins for only the fourth time in school history (09-10, 10-11 & 15-16).
    Each other time, the Cats maxed-out with 20 wins. So this win equals the school record.

By comparison, Duke currently has 21 consecutive 20-win seasons and 52 seasons of 20 wins overall.

Today's win is NU's 9th conference win -- the most since 1932-33 when they had a Big Ten record of 10-2.
    The Cats have had three other 9-conference-win seasons (1915-16, 1927-28 & 1931-32) and their high was a record of 11-1 in 1930-31.
    So, NU has a chance to get to 11 conference wins with 4 games remaining.

Any way you cut it, this season has been one where NU has accomplished things that they have not done in decades.

And you all said the Rutgers game was a joke.

- Chillin

"Chicago's Big Ten Team" TM got pounded by Illinois' Big Ten Team by a score of 66-50.

The Illini sweep the season series 2-0.
    Northwestern falls to 20-8 / 9-6.
    NU has a road game at Indiana this weekend.

Northwestern loses a heartbreaker at Indiana 63-62.
    IU took the lead on a three-point-play with 2.6 seconds left.
    The Hoosiers closed out the Game with an 8-0 run after closing out the 1st Half with a 22-0 run.

Northwestern drops to 20-9 / 9-7.
    The Wildcats have home games with Michigan on Wednesday & Purdue on Sunday.
    NU is on the outside looking in for a coveted double-bye #4 seed in the Big Ten Tourney.

Gonna be sweating now. Very likely to be 9-9 in a shaky conference. The win over Wisvonsin is looking massive now as it may be the thing that saves their bid.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Gonna be sweating now. Very likely to be 9-9 in a shaky conference. The win over Wisvonsin is looking massive now as it may be the thing that saves their bid.
    Agreed they're going to be sweating, but I'd say the odds favor one more win--they might even be favored against Michigan at home (kenpom suggests 1 point favorites). Still, not the situation you want to be in.

Very scary first half tonight -- Northwestern seemed to dominate Michigan, but only ended up leading by 2 at halftime.

Would be a tough one for the 'Cats to lose.

Tied

Under 7 minutes.

Refs

Refs blow a crucial call, on the missed end of a one and one. Instead of NU getting the rebound, ruled an alternate possession, ball to Michigan.