Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Another School Shooting

It seems there has been another school shooting, this time in Cleveland.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/265445

teacher is packing

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    As long as good aim is taken.

From the article:

Katz won't say whether she has ever taken her 9 mm Glock pistol to school, but she practices with it regularly and has thought about what she would do if she had to confront a gunman. She would be sure students were locked in nearby offices out of the line of fire, and she would be ready with her pistol.

I guess she intends to say politley to the gunman, "excuse me sir, could you wait right here while I lock these students in nearby offices so they will be out of the line of fire? I'll be back in just a sec to shoot you. Thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    As an Oregonian, I disown her.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    From the article:

Katz won't say whether she has ever taken her 9 mm Glock pistol to school, but she practices with it regularly and has thought about what she would do if she had to confront a gunman. She would be sure students were locked in nearby offices out of the line of fire, and she would be ready with her pistol.

I guess she intends to say politley to the gunman, "excuse me sir, could you wait right here while I lock these students in nearby offices so they will be out of the line of fire? I'll be back in just a sec to shoot you. Thanks."
    Yes, that struck me as very strange as well and I thought the same thing.

Well, thankfully in this shooting at least no one appears to be be too seriously injured.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    From the article:

Well, her idea is certainly far from perfect. But in a tactical sense it seems to beat "excuse me sir, could you please wait right here while all of us unarmed people call 911 and wait for the police arrive."

As far as who's packing...

I have less of a problem with a teacher possibly carrying a gun on school grounds, than I do with the fact that a bipolar 14 yo w/ a history of violence, who had been court-ordered into psychological treatment, that had been suspended from school for violent behavior, had access to a gun.

This isn't like Cho, the VTech shooter who fell under the mental health intervention radar -- this kid, Coon, was in the center of the radar. How'd he get a weapon, much less get into school to use it?

Correction: Two guns: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/us...on&oref=slogin