Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Plumlees represent 7% of white American-born NBA players.

Interesting Q&A, featuring JJ, regarding the disappearance of white American NBA players. Only 43 in the league this year.

http://theundefeated.com/features/wh...n-nba-players/

I had not even begun to think about that... pretty amazing article. Also, stunning that they did not mention the Plumlees a single time. One family is responsible for 7% of the white Americans in the NBA. That's some remarkable DNA!!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, if my list is correct, the following are still in the league:

Miles Plumlee
    Mason Plumlee
    Marshall Plumlee
    Kyle Singler
    JJ Redick
    Mike Dunleavy
    Josh McRoberts

So, 7 of 43 of the white American players came out of Duke? Did I miss anyone?
    Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-26-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Edit to improve specificity of comment

I'm sure the individual teams want to win. I'll leave it to the social scientists to figure the phenomenon out.

Interesting article, thanks for linking.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    I'm sure the individual teams want to win. I'll leave it to the social scientists to figure the phenomenon out.
    Parsons: "The NBA is a collection of some of the most athletic guys in the world. And white guys just aren't that athletic."

However, some people make similar "ability" arguments with regards to other professions and why perhaps Asians and overrepresented and other groups are underrepresented. I would agree it's more clear-cut when it's a physical evaluation and "not biased" against white guys, but I do think there probably IS some bias towards European white players over American white players for some reason. Ryan Kelly coming out of Lithuania probably would have been seen as a highly coveted 6'10" floor spacer with tons of potential. (Yes, I realize he did get signed anyways).

Same idea as to why there are no (or very few) super elite white marathon runners in the world. People were shocked to see Galen Rupp on the scene take the silver at the 5000 in London in 2012 and bronze at the marathon this year in Rio. There are clearly some biological differences between people from different countries of origin. I'm sure many articles and books have been written about it.

But it is pretty amazing that the Plumlees (and Duke) comprise such a large percentage of the American-born white NBA players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    So, if my list is correct, the following are still in the league:

Miles Plumlee
    Mason Plumlee
    Marshall Plumlee
    Kyle Singler
    JJ Redick
    Mike Dunleavy
    Josh McRoberts

So, 7 of 43 of the white American players came out of Duke? Did I miss anyone?
    Wish Ryan Kelly would be on the list, but he just got waived 4 days ago...
    Last edited by Bluedog; 10-27-2016 at 04:45 AM.

It's actually 7.5%. The 43 mentioned were on rosters as of Monday morning and did not account for the cuts of Matt Costello, Mitch McGary and Kaleb Tarczewski. It appears there was one other Monday cut I'm missing as if you add up the numbers on the chart it's now 39. I got 40 when I counted on Tuesday so I missed someone.

Everything about this thread makes me uncomfortable. The statistics are okay, but the analysis makes me queasy. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would agree it's more clear-cut when it's a physical evaluation and "not biased" against white guys, but I do think there probably IS some bias towards European white players over American white players for some reason. Ryan Kelly coming out of Lithuania probably would have been seen as a highly coveted 6'10" floor spacer with tons of potential. (Yes, I realize he did get signed anyways).
    I would examine labor supply here as much as labor demand.

This is a "kids these days" complaint and anecdotal, but I would say over the past 20 years or so, there are lots of activities and sports that young white boys have become less interested in, not just basketball.

One exception: video games. Or "eSports" as ESPN calls it, complete with a section covering the "sport" on espn.com: http://www.espn.com/esports/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I would examine labor supply here as much as labor demand.

This is a "kids these days" complaint and anecdotal, but I would say over the past 20 years or so, there are lots of activities and sports that young white boys have become less interested in, not just basketball.

One exception: video games. Or "eSports" as ESPN calls it, complete with a section covering the "sport" on espn.com: http://www.espn.com/esports/
    It was called eSports long before ESPN decided to try and make money off of it. Lot's of professional athletes and organizations are getting involved as well. Shaq is an owner of NRG, Rick Fox started Echo Fox, Pete Guber (part owner of the Warriors) bought Team Liquid recently and The 76ers bout Dignitas. It's going to be frowing exponentially fast over the coming years. Will be interesting to see how the industry develops.

They may be an anomaly, but all three Plumlee kids are extremely athletic for 7 footers, no matter what color they are.

There's only one reason I care about this stat...

I love the international flavor of the NBA and hope it breeds goodwill across borders.

Looking at the political landscape around the world, sport might be our best hope as a unifying social construct.

All things considered the last 30 years of globalization and de-regulation has improved the worldwide standard of living (you may not feel that way because you are constantly bombarded with news you would not have had access to 30 years ago) and individual freedoms.

I'm not saying all things are good, but I will argue that globalization is a better long term solution than isolationism.

Yes, this is unrelated to basketball, but in my opinion the only value I see to this statistic.

Are you really that incurious about this bizarre phenomenon? I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, I'm just surprised that a DBR poster would not have more interest and curiosity about an issue which many basketball fans find to be absolutely fascinating and perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everything about this thread makes me uncomfortable. The statistics are okay, but the analysis makes me queasy. Have fun!
    Why is it uncomfortable to talk about race and ethnicity? What about this makes you feel uneasy? Just a quick glance at the statistics is really quite amazing. I mean it's just absolutely striking. Why not delve into it a little bit and see if perhaps there could be some enlightenment gained?

Each to his own, I suppose. Not judging you negatively. We each have our own areas of interest and curiosity and they definitely do not always overlap.

I am "white" and personally have been quite interested in the genetic aspects of sports performance for decades now as I travel the world. It is clear to me that in Africa for instance, the West Africans tend to have a distinct genetic advantage in explosive fast twitch muscles. While the East African like the Kenyans and Ethiopians have a clear advantage in slow twitch endurance. And thus many of the world's best sprinters are of West African descent, which was the main component of forced immigration to the Carribean for example. And look at how the East Africans are now absolutely dominating the Olympic events like the marathon and others that require extreme endurance.

In addition, often the most athletic players in Europe (and who do well in the NBA) are from Eastern Europe: The Baltics, especially Lithuania. And also from Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia. There are plenty of fast, good leapers and good players in those regions. (Olek Czyz also had plenty of leaping ability!)

There are other superb athletes from Europe. To me, one of the best tests of ovarall athleticism is the Decathlon, which requires an incredible combination of explosivity, endurance, coordination, etc. Some of the best in the world have been from the Slavic countries, like the legendary gold medalist Roman Seberle. Likewise with the women's version of the event.

My personal impression from playing a lot of basketball in my earlier years is that overall the fast twitch muscles and various limb proportions that are necessary to be an explosive dunker are more genetically common in the American Black population than the American white population. (I had exceptional hand and lateral foot speed, while not being an exceptional leaper). But certainly there are some white players who indeed can jump! Culturally, it also seems to me that more and more of the reasonably athletic white boys are now into things like BMX cycling, skateboarding, and various other extreme sports that have their own unique culture, sports that did not really exist in their present form when I was pounding the blacktops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sorry if this thread is making people uncomfortable. I thought it was a really interesting stat.

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    I am "white" and personally have been quite interested in the genetic aspects of sports performance for decades now as I travel the world. It is clear to me that in Africa for instance, the West Africans tend to have a distinct genetic advantage in explosive fast twitch muscles. While the East African like the Kenyans and Ethiopians have a clear advantage in slow twitch endurance. And thus many of the world's best sprinters are of West African descent, which was the main component of forced immigration to the Carribean for example. And look at how the East Africans are now absolutely dominating the Olympic events like the marathon and others that require extreme endurance.

In addition, often the most athletic players in Europe (and who do well in the NBA) are from Eastern Europe: The Baltics, especially Lithuania. And also from Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia. There are plenty of fast, good leapers and good players in those regions. (Olek Czyz also had plenty of leaping ability!)

There are other superb athletes from Europe. To me, one of the best tests of ovarall athleticism is the Decathlon, which requires an incredible combination of explosivity, endurance, coordination, etc. Some of the best in the world have been from the Slavic countries, like the legendary gold medalist Roman Seberle. Likewise with the women's version of the event.

My personal impression from playing a lot of basketball in my earlier years is that overall the fast twitch muscles and various limb proportions that are necessary to be an explosive dunker are more genetically common in the American Black population than the American white population. (I had exceptional hand and lateral foot speed, while not being an exceptional leaper). But certainly there are some white players who indeed can jump! Culturally, it also seems to me that more and more of the reasonably athletic white boys are now into things like BMX cycling, skateboarding, and various other extreme sports that have their own unique culture, sports that did not really exist in their present form when I was pounding the blacktops.
    JJ was on Russillo yesterday and had a similar theory. He thought that suburban kids have more options available to them in terms of their recreation hours. The replay is on the Russillo page on ESPN but it isn't easily linkable (is that a word?) for me to place here.

Ahhh, if Jimmy the Greek could see us now!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Why is it uncomfortable to talk about race and ethnicity? What about this makes you feel uneasy? Just a quick glance at the statistics is really quite amazing. I mean it's just absolutely striking. Why not delve into it a little bit and see if perhaps there could be some enlightenment gained?

Each to his own, I suppose. Not judging you negatively. We each have our own areas of interest and curiosity and they definitely do not always overlap.
    I just get wary when the broad brushes come out.

This country operates with the assumption/belief that "All men are created equal." For the purposes of having a functioning society and justice system, this is a fine and even laudable starting point.

Nature plays by her own rules, however. Black males have on average a much higher active testosterone level than males from asian or caucasian backgrounds (I think the number is around 20% higher). That is certainly only going to help someone pursuing an athletic career. If that means that black males are over-represented in the NBA, then so be it.

The word "inequality" doesn't always equal "bad."

We need to flesh (ha ha ha) this out some more by adding what overall percentage of the NBA is white including the Europeans. It would be interesting to track the overall % of white over time.

But, it also begs the question, what's white and what is black? There are tons of players of mixed race. How are they counted? That conversation might really be interesting (kidding Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, I understand how these convos can head into weird places).

The science on this issue points very strongly to the conclusion that skin color (which is used to determine and individual's "race" as it is defined by American culture) has minimal to negligible impact on athletic ability. There is extensive, peer-reviewed research to back this up. Cultural and environmental factors are a MUCH better way to explain the success or failure of certain athletes with certain phenotypes.

Here's one such article that provides a quick summary of more extensive research.

http://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/vi...=hilltopreview

I think it's also important to acknowledge that the idea of genetics explaining the ability of black athletes also has an ugly history. Originally, black people were considered inferior athletically to white people. This persisted for centuries. However, when black people began to excel in certain sports, the myth was created that black people possess a special genetic proclivity for athletic performance as a way of writing off the performance of black athletes as a simple matter of innate talent rather than hard work and skill. Vestiges of this myth live on, today. How many times have you heard about the raw ability of a black athlete or the smarts of a white athlete? I honestly think this is becoming at least a little less common, which is good, but yeah, it has an ugly history that, if we're gonna talk about this, we should probably acknowledge.