Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui

Maui

Back in Maui for 2018. Great field: Arizona, Auburn, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Back in Maui for 2018. Great field: Arizona, Auburn, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier.

Link
    Coming off a nattie win, with a starting line-up of Carter, Knox, Kennard, Trent Jr, and Jackson? The field won't have a chance!

See what I did there?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Coming off a nattie win, with a starting line-up of Carter, Knox, Kennard, Trent Jr, and Jackson? The field won't have a chance!

See what I did there?
    I see that you were off by a year.

Seniors Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter go for a 3-peat by leading precocious freshmen Romeo Langford, Zion Williamson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Seniors Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter go for a 3-peat by leading precocious freshmen Romeo Langford, Zion Williamson, etc.
    Crap. I ruined a good joke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

we had a great vacation in maui march of 2014. Went by the civic center and took in all the history....I posted some pics awhile back...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post

Link
    One small asterisk on the Maui field - this is the field, assuming Chaminade doesn't pull a huge upset in the opening round game (presumably against one of the teams you list above) on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

See what I did there?
    Looks like this is for the 2018 Maui tournament, which will be during the 2018-19 season. So, I think you meant: Coming off back-to-back natties, with a starting lineup of Jeter, Bagley III, RJ Barrett, Kennard, Trent Jr.
    Last edited by gam7; 10-26-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Oops, I see that Troublemaker was all over it already.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    One small asterisk on the Maui field - this is the field, assuming Chaminade doesn't pull a huge upset in the opening round game (presumably against one of the teams you list above) on the mainland.
    Nah. It's one of those where they can't advance. But that's actually a big deal, as Chaminade held out for years, insisting they remain a part of the main field. TV finally won out it would seem.

Finally! We've been waiting. For a while Duke was going every four years and was long overdue. If you can you should try to go. We were there the last two times and it was so much fun. The arena is as intimate as they say it is and you are right on top of the action. Staying at the team hotel gives you the chance to interact with (well, at least see) the players and coaches. It is pretty much all about the basketball, but that is the point, isn't it.

while juniors Javin DeLaurier and Jack White look to push their collegiate record to 120-0?

Not a bad recruiting pitch: "by the bye, we'll be spending a week in Maui to kick off the season"

Tickets

Has anyone been to the Maui Invitational before? Does Duke get a block of tickets that it sells to alumni like they do for NCAA Tournament games and the like?

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Has anyone been to the Maui Invitational before? Does Duke get a block of tickets that it sells to alumni like they do for NCAA Tournament games and the like?
    Yes. We have been twice. If it is like it has been in the past, they will have packages available early April of 2018. You will be able to get hotel/ticket packages with or without air travel. Not sure about tickets only through Duke - never did that - but I would think they would have that also. It is really fun. We will try to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    Yes. We have been twice. If it is like it has been in the past, they will have packages available early April of 2018. You will be able to get hotel/ticket packages with or without air travel. Not sure about tickets only through Duke - never did that - but I would think they would have that also. It is really fun. We will try to go again.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping an eye out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Last went in the 90's - the one the fire marshals tried to shut down. They over sold by about double, UK brought twice as many fans as tickets, and after we won the semi, UK met Arizona - a rematch of the prior championship. Overcrowding ensued. Folks went outside to the bathroom (that's how it worked), and couldn't get back in. Fans sitting on stairs (the fire marshal problem).

I understand that now, each school gets tickets for their session, then are expected to go out and play in the tropics.

-jk

Count 77devil and me in. Golf by morning, ball in the afternoon. Mai Tais all day b/c its 5 oclock somewhere !

don't know what it was before, but the Lahaina Civc center is attached to the Maui police department...should be interesting should it get over-sold to the point of being dangerous...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    don't know what it was before, but the Lahaina Civc center is attached to the Maui police department...should be interesting should it get over-sold to the point of being dangerous...
    "Dangerous?"

Dude, its Hawaii!

If it's crowded, you don't get in, you spend more time outside ... in HAWAII!

Remember, gametimes are morning and early afternoon there so they can be viewed on the east coast at a decent hour.

so, just to re-tell my story.

I went by the Lahania Civic center about 1pm in the afternoon. I went up to main office and there was only one guy in there. I asked him if this was the place where they have the MAUI CLASSIC and he said "yeah", not looking up from whatever he was working on.

I asked him if it would be ok for me to just go in and look around some, and he replied "no, it's all locked up". I said, "ok, that's cool. I'm a big duke fan. In town for my first Maui visit, and i just wanted to see the place from the inside". He looked up from his work and said "duke fan? hell, y'all own the place. come on!" picked up his keys, then took me up to the arena and unlocked it.

We went in 2011 and had a great time. Our daughter was not quite 2 and my wife was pregnant with our son. We are planning on attending with the whole family this time. I'm looking forward to playing Kapalua and watching Duke win another Maui invite title. I can't wait to bringing my ultra conservative brother another "Hawaii, Home of Barack Obama" t-shirt.

If you can swing it, it's really worth it. During the last trip, we had a lot of interactions with the team. A picture of Andre Dawkins holding my daughter even made it to the front page of DBR! Coach K personally thanked all of us that were waiting in the lobby for the team to return from the championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    The arena is as intimate as they say it is and you are right on top of the action. Staying at the team hotel gives you the chance to interact with (well, at least see) the players and coaches. It is pretty much all about the basketball, but that is the point, isn't it.
    And, more commonly, interact with the players' parents.