Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Best penalty for UNC is:
    In every home game in every sport, home fans Must wear a Duke Shirt/Jersey/Hat and keep it on for the duration as a condition of the ticket to enter and remain at the home event. THAT will make sure they never do it again...
    Better penalty - No home games for two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ew, I don't want them in our gear.
    They must wear Presbyterian gear and scream as loud as they can when unc players take free throws.

How about they all just go to class? That may prove to be a dizzying and disorienting thing in and of itself.

Basketball will skate.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Better penalty - No home games for two seasons.
    If we can’t use this as a “Lucille”, to bludgeon and beat on UNC fans while they are defenseless and cause great misery, what good is it?
    Its gotta be fun and entertaining for us (well, ok ME), right?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    If we can’t use this as a “Lucille”, to bludgeon and beat on UNC fans while they are defenseless and cause great misery, what good is it?
    Its gotta be fun and entertaining for us (well, ok ME), right?
    Great idea! We keep punishing them each year until we no longer see "that look" in their eyes.

well, then....back to it!!

from where i'm sitting, the only punishment that's being heaped on them is some slimy "trash talking" about them. When i see some REAL punishment (banners/schollies/post season bans) heaped on them, then i'll quit feeling like they got away with it all..

that's not the current feeling tho...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, then...back to it!!

from where i'm sitting, the only punishment that's being heaped on them is some slimy "trash talking" about them. When i see some REAL punishment (banners/schollies/post season bans) heaped on them, then i'll quit feeling like they got away with it all..

that's not the current feeling tho...
    In a way, unc is getting the punishment it deserves: death by a thousand cuts.

If it had received some draconian punishment, tar heels would always have the argument that the sanctions were too harsh, and nobody plays the martyr better than ol' roy. A severe penalty would have its consequence, but would have a temporal limit, permitting a renaissance. Kentucky basketball and Penn State football come to mind.

What is happening now is brand erosion. unc is fast losing its claim as top tier academic school. The "carolina way" is but a punchline. Top ten recruits are no longer lining up to visit chapel hill.

Kids now want to "be like Steph," as MJ is losing relevance. No one of any level of popularity is rising to defend unc.

The longer this drags on, the longer ol' roy will stay and fight for his program, which will cause it to continue to weaken as his recruiting energies continue to wane.

By "lawyering the hell out of" the NCAA investigation, unc has lost credibility, lost any sympathies engendered when encountering the NCAA, and has kept the academic sham in news cycle after news cycle for years now. Public opinion recognizes that multiple unc championships were bogus

Sure, the script is dull and the characters absolutely unlikeable. The episodes are repetitious and highly predictable. But this is a soap opera I hope plays on for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Sure, the script is dull and the characters absolutely unlikeable. The episodes are repetitious and highly predictable. But this is a soap opera I hope plays on for years to come.
    i feel like i'm the one being cut....remember, they were allowed to ALMOST win the natty last year...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Nice read in today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...110662842.html

I like the conclusion/s:

"That was all part of the NCAA’s larger dissatisfaction with North Carolina for indulging in an existential approach to the case while largely declining to address the material claims among the allegations. These changing circumstances may bode poorly for the university down the road. The NCAA has never been shy about bringing all weapons to bear on targets it considers uncooperative.

If things have truly turned adversarial, this is increasingly an all-or-nothing proposition for UNC."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

What is happening now is brand erosion. unc is fast losing its claim as top tier academic school. The "carolina way" is but a punchline. Top ten recruits are no longer lining up to visit chapel hill.
    i agree. but i don't know that the brand erosion that has occurred is enough to bring perception even in the vicinity of the reality. most people view this as another athletics cheating scandal and don't appreciate just how badly the facts condemn the leadership and stakeholders of the unc.

i feel like i'm the one being cut...remember, they were allowed to ALMOST win the natty last year...
    Have you sent flowers to Kris Jenkins, our hero, yet?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How about they all just go to class? That may prove to be a dizzying and disorienting thing in and of itself.

Basketball will skate.
    Probably a bit too harsh a penalty as they would have to change the whole place to an academic institution and are too far from that now.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

i feel like i'm the one being cut...remember, they were allowed to ALMOST win the natty last year...
    Keyword being ALMOST.. The way they lost at the very end had to leave a mark & will for a long time..Pretty devastating way to lose. I feel for their suffering. I really do..

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Keyword being ALMOST.. The way they lost at the very end had to leave a mark & will for a long time..Pretty devastating way to lose. I feel for their suffering. I really do..
    Here's the thing: the lingering sting of coming so close is a much bigger deal if there is no prospect of return in the near future, which we thought was an actual possibility back then. The neutered NOA changed that. Now they have an extremely successful non-natty season to look back upon.

Basketball will skate.
    they would have to find the classrooms first. that's uncharted territory in the unc athletic system

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    they would have to find the classrooms first. that's uncharted territory in the unc athletic system
    Come on, they have academic advisors who, um, well ... I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Nice read in today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...110662842.html

I like the conclusion/s:

"That was all part of the NCAA’s larger dissatisfaction with North Carolina for indulging in an existential approach to the case while largely declining to address the material claims among the allegations. These changing circumstances may bode poorly for the university down the road. The NCAA has never been shy about bringing all weapons to bear on targets it considers uncooperative.

If things have truly turned adversarial, this is increasingly an all-or-nothing proposition for UNC."
    I really like that last line.

UNC's petulant response was equivalent to rejecting the plea bargain and praying for jury nullification. Things are going to turn out badly for the heels.

Procedural hearing is today I believe. Wonder when we get a ruling.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Yes, bad joke on my part.
    I laughed, FWIW.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

If it had received some draconian punishment, tar heels would always have the argument that the sanctions were too harsh, and nobody plays the martyr better than ol' roy. A severe penalty would have its consequence, but would have a temporal limit, permitting a renaissance. Kentucky basketball and Penn State football come to mind.

Kids now want to "be like Steph," as MJ is losing relevance. No one of any level of popularity is rising to defend unc.

The longer this drags on, the longer ol' roy will stay and fight for his program, which will cause it to continue to weaken as his recruiting energies continue to wane.

By "lawyering the hell out of" the NCAA investigation, unc has lost credibility, lost any sympathies engendered when encountering the NCAA, and has kept the academic sham in news cycle after news cycle for years now. Public opinion recognizes that multiple unc championships were bogus

This. Totally.

This whole thing has caused them a lot of damage. The very great irony is that if they had not fought tooth and nail, just apologized and accepted responsibility, the AFAM shenanigans would never even have been found out.

Once the AFAM thing exploded, they still could have apologized, admitted trouble, self-imposed 2 years of post-season bans and 10% scholly reductions and the NCAA would have gone "whew!" and gone along with it. Hell, a lot of us here would have thought, "hmmm, hard to believe something like that happened there, but I'm not surprised they got to the bottom of it" and moved on.

By fighting tooth and nail they have savaged their own reputation, the phrase "Carolina Way" has literally become a joke, and they have had their programs whacked with a thousand cuts. (Mostly in bball.)

Boy did they make this bed. And it's still not over.

I don't know whether the NCAA is going to roll ever here or not-- and I'm certainly loathe to get my hopes up -- but UNC has taken on a lot of damage because of their moronic cover-up. As deserved as a massive surrender of titles and scholarships is, karmically they've taken a good whacking.