Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

JE

A couple of thoughts after watching Sportscenter this morning. First, it was really nice to see Joel Embiid on the court. I know he plays the same position as Okafor but Embiid seems like a really good guy and to have to miss 2 years with injuries before ever playing your first game (and have a family tragedy) had to have been tough. I hope he does well and that the 76ers figure out how to not suck this year (with Okafor and Henderson helping them greatly).

Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. For example, last night the Lakers beat the Rockets. ESPN covered the game by having a discussion about how the Rockets coaches want James Harden to have more assists (he did have 17 and 14 in the first quarter). So they show a bunch of highlights of Harden dropping dimes and the Rockets making shots. Then at the very end they show Julius Randle make a layup and show the score. The Lakers won the game. I don't even think they mentioned that, they just showed the score. I couldn't tell if Ingram played or not. The flow of the game, the halftime score, anything about the actual game (as opposed to the individual they wanted to highlight) was not mentioned. This is what they do with every single game. I can tell you that Westbrook, Davis, Harden had big games and the Embiid looked good in his return. I want to know about the starts and great players but I also want to know about the games. Aren't the games this big thing? Isn't winning and losing supposed to matter more than who goes for 40 and 14?

I need to get out of the habit of watching 'center in the morning so I don't start the day mad. And God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    A couple of thoughts after watching Sportscenter this morning. First, it was really nice to see Joel Embiid on the court. I know he plays the same position as Okafor but Embiid seems like a really good guy and to have to miss 2 years with injuries before ever playing your first game (and have a family tragedy) had to have been tough. I hope he does well and that the 76ers figure out how to not suck this year (with Okafor and Henderson helping them greatly).

Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. For example, last night the Lakers beat the Rockets. ESPN covered the game by having a discussion about how the Rockets coaches want James Harden to have more assists (he did have 17 and 14 in the first quarter). So they show a bunch of highlights of Harden dropping dimes and the Rockets making shots. Then at the very end they show Julius Randle make a layup and show the score. The Lakers won the game. I don't even think they mentioned that, they just showed the score. I couldn't tell if Ingram played or not. The flow of the game, the halftime score, anything about the actual game (as opposed to the individual they wanted to highlight) was not mentioned. This is what they do with every single game. I can tell you that Westbrook, Davis, Harden had big games and the Embiid looked good in his return. I want to know about the starts and great players but I also want to know about the games. Aren't the games this big thing? Isn't winning and losing supposed to matter more than who goes for 40 and 14?

I need to get out of the habit of watching 'center in the morning so I don't start the day mad. And God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!
    Embiid was awesome. The issue with Noel is that he can't play offense. The issue with Okafor is that he can't play defense. Embiid shockingly showed in one game that he can play both. Yes, small sample size, but it gave the 76ers something to really cheer about.

Consider me an Embiid fan. I really like his game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

... Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. ...

... God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!
    They'll still show replays of last year whenever they show highlights Duke playing this year

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The Bulls. Worst shooting team in the NBA. Bucks aren't great either, although Jabari and Giannis are awesome.

I think the Knicks will make the playoffs as an 8-seed, but get bounced faster than you can say, "Derrick Rose was a former MVP?"
    FWIW, folks in Chicago are cautiously optimistic about the Bulls this year. Perimeter shooting is an issue, to be sure (although Wade and Butler shot a combined 8-12 from 3 in last night's win over the Celtics). And the roster in general, while fairly deep from a pure talent standpoint, is definitely not constructed like most contenders these days. But the roster changes, especially the additions of uber-competitive Rondo and Wade, seem to have given the team a very different personality from the past few Bulls squads, which often seemed to lack heart and leadership. Having a relatively unique offensive approach can be an advantage, too, particularly in an Eastern Conference which has many good teams but only one clearly great one. I don't expect the Bulls to challenge the Cavs or anything, but not making the playoffs would be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    I'm hoping the Warriors and Cavs meet in the Finals again because this board was very entertaining.
    Well, the dynamics would be different because Barnes is now gone from the Warriors. Many Duke fans including me were kind of running counter-culture last season by rooting against the Warriors while they were the hip team that was drawing in new casual NBA fans thanks to Steph Curry. This season, I feel like I can appreciate them better, although I might STILL be counter-culture if I'm liking them while they've become the Villain Team to everyone else post-Durant signing; it'll be interesting to see if they really DO become the NBA's villains this season. What a dramatic change that would be in the span of a few months. Push comes to shove, I would definitely still root for Kyrie and the Cavs over them if that indeed is the Finals. But I wouldn't hate it if the Warriors won this season. (James McAdoo? Eh, I don't care about him.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Well, the dynamics would be different because Barnes is now gone from the Warriors. Many Duke fans including me were kind of running counter-culture last season by rooting against the Warriors while they were the hip team that was drawing in new casual NBA fans thanks to Steph Curry. This season, I feel like I can appreciate them better, although I might STILL be counter-culture if I'm liking them while they've become the Villain Team to everyone else post-Durant signing; it'll be interesting to see if they really DO become the NBA's villains this season. What a dramatic change that would be in the span of a few months. Push comes to shove, I would definitely still root for Kyrie and the Cavs over them if that indeed is the Finals. But I wouldn't hate it if the Warriors won this season. (James McAdoo? Eh, I don't care about him.)
    Also Dunleavy is on the Cavs this season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Also Dunleavy is on the Cavs this season as well.
    D'oh. Good call. Dun Jr's best chance to win a ring so far.

In case anyone needs a laugh this afternoon

Wisconsin fans are probably blaming that Dekker blooper on the refs in the Nat'l Championship game.

Wisconsin fans are probably blaming that Dekker blooper on the refs in the Nat'l Championship game.
    Poor Dekker. I actually really like the dude...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Poor Dekker. I actually really like the dude...
    Me too, he was fun to watch at Wisconsin.

Dekked! Should've been you, Frank Kaminsky.

"Damn rent-a-waxers at Madison Square Garden can't clean a floor properly."
    - Bo Ryan, watching at home

"Gotta be the shoes."
    - Spike Lee, courtside

Durant and the Warriors are dialed. in. in the first half against the Thunder. After trailing 31-21 in the first, the Warriors have ripped off a 47-12 run to close the half, and all Durant has done is score 29 in the first half on 11-17 shooting. The second quarter (which the Warriors won 37-11) is basically peak Golden State.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Durant and the Warriors are dialed. in. in the first half against the Thunder. After trailing 31-21 in the first, the Warriors have ripped off a 47-12 run to close the half, and all Durant has done is score 29 in the first half on 11-17 shooting. The second quarter (which the Warriors won 37-11) is basically peak Golden State.
    And the mighty Warriors follow that by losing to . . . the Lakers (?)

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    And the mighty Warriors follow that by losing to . . . the Lakers (?)
    Yeah... Curry and Klay couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.

Steph has hit a three pointer in 157 consecutive games, dating back to November 14, 2014. He was 0-10 from deep last night. Streak finished.

Ingram looked good, not great. Only 2-8 from the field but ended up with 12, 6, and 3. Lou Williams looked in control of GS all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Steph has hit a three pointer in 157 consecutive games, dating back to November 14, 2014. He was 0-10 from deep last night. Streak finished.
    Guess who has the longest streak now...

The Wizards are currently wearing the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on a basketball court. And that comparison includes Carolina blue.

Edit: Apparently an homage to the 1969-73 Baltimore Bullets:

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#secti.../p2p-84562249/

The original looked better:

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/...-12.09.46-.png
    Last edited by Reilly; 11-17-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    The Wizards are currently wearing the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on a basketball court. And that comparison includes Carolina blue.

Interesting, I expected something ugly (I mean you said worse than the hideous UNCheat blue). Wouldn't want to see them al the time but for a few throw back nights, I actually think they are cool.

Interesting, I expected something ugly (I mean you said worse than the hideous UNCheat blue). Wouldn't want to see them al the time but for a few throw back nights, I actually think they are cool.
    Looking at those unis last night I felt like they were trying to borrow from soccer jerseys. The short sleeve NBA jerseys have to be an attempt to sell more standard shirt type merch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Those are awful but their Veterans Day uniforms were really nice

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-unveil-new-stars-and-stripes-uniform-honor-military