Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    welcome to the board...Hope tyus continues to make y'all smile...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlueDevil4 View Post
    Hey BDR board!

I'm new to the community, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the incorrect area.

Last night I had the opportunity to attend the Timberwolves home opener, and luckily it was a blowout so Tyus got some good minutes. He looked strong out there, finishing with 6 assists and only 1 turnover in 19 minutes of work.

(Ricky Rubio was injured, which also opened up more minutes for him.)

I would love the Wolves to keep getting him some time, he could have a very successful NBA career coming off the bench as a backup point guard if he's given the chance!

On a side note, can't wait for season to get started. Hoping to make it down to Cameron for a game this year!
    Welcome to the boards. Yeah, it's unfortunate, but the drafting of Kris Dunn probably will end Tyus' stint with his hometown Timberwolves. As Jason Evans mentioned in another thread, these games with Rubio being out are good showcase games for Tyus. If he can show that he's a solid backup PG -- which I agree with you that he IS -- then there will be teams out there in need a solid backup point guard who will trade for him. Hopefully a contender.

Adrian Woj article from a couple of weeks ago about how Minnesota is thinking:

Several teams – including Philadelphia and New Orleans – have shown interest in point guard Tyus Jones, 20, whom the Wolves are more open to moving in the short term, league sources said. Thibodeau has used non-guaranteed veteran John Lucas III – a 33-year-old whom he brought back to his roster several times with the Chicago Bulls – in the preseason point-guard rotation.

Jones’ MVP performance in the NBA’s summer league did improve his standing with teams that have an interest in him as a backup point guard. Jones was the 24th overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft, an early entry who left Duke after helping to lead the Blue Devils to the NCAA championship.

Jones and Sixers center Jahlil Okafor were Duke teammates.

What really made me mad last year was when the Wolves had no chance of making the playoffs, yet 39 year old Andre Miller was coming off the bench before Tyus. It made no sense to me...

What really made me mad last year was when the Wolves had no chance of making the playoffs, yet 39 year old Andre Miller was coming off the bench before Tyus. It made no sense to me...
    I did not see those games, but I would think that the Timbys would be most concerned about the development of their young franchise players: KAT, Andrew Wiggins, and possibly Zach LaVine. If putting veteran Andre Miller on the floor to direct the offense furthers that goal, it makes sense to me. Tyus is a favorite, but he doesn't bring the experience that Andre Miller has.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I did not see those games, but I would think that the Timbys would be most concerned about the development of their young franchise players: KAT, Andrew Wiggins, and possibly Zach LaVine. If putting veteran Andre Miller on the floor to direct the offense furthers that goal, it makes sense to me. Tyus is a favorite, but he doesn't bring the experience that Andre Miller has.
    Also, Tyus Jones isn't considered part of the Baby Wolves's long term plans. Players like that don't get put on the trading block (or even rumored trading block).

Tyus is a nice back-up PG, but he's considered superfluous with Rubio (a better passing PG and defensive PG) and Dunn (a scorer, defender, and mature body). If they get rid of Rubio, it makes sense to keep Tyus and try to develop him as a back up.

Unfortunately, Tyus is so limited physically that many don't see a future for him the league. Don't get me wrong, he's tough as nails, has a great shot, and is more than adept at passing, but he'll never be a plus-defender and his ability to drive against the tall trees in the NBA is limited.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Part of the issue is that Sam Mitchell took over as an interim coach and he was in win now mode to try to extend his time in that role. The interim GM finally forced his hand by getting rid of Miller, but that had already taken some time from Tyus. It did not help that the Timberwolves still do not a D League team, which would have given him more time to play and still be involved in the main team.

Obviously with a new front office and coaching staff in place now, they are focused on winning now and making their own decisions about personnel, which means they now have five players who can play point guard.

Rodney Hood led the way for Duke alum last night with 22pts (9/16 FGs) and 7rebs
    Deng had a solid 2x-double (13/10).
    Jahlil and Gerald both had solid games for the lowly 76ers (12 and 11 pts respectively).
    Seth Curry shot well (3/4 FGs) for 6 pts off the bench for the Mavs.
    Reddick, Rivers and MP2 all shot poorly from the field last night (7/31 FGs combined).
    Ingram continues to not make too much impact, although he's not playing poorly (2pts 1/2 FGs and 2rebs).

http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

I watched most of the second half of Mavs v Bucks to try and get some first this-season looks at Jabari, Seth and Miles.

It was an awful game from an execution standpoint (however it was close and went to OT so there was game tension at least). Neither team could make a shot or run cogent offense. Jabari must have had a good first half but he was terrible in the second, Miles was a non-factor and Seth was pretty absent too. Who was good? The Black Pigeon led the Mavs to a come-from-behind overtime victory. What a bad game to choose to watch!!!!!

JJ with his 1st JJ-like game of the season, 20 pts on 9 shots. Austin got 11 points on 10 shots alongside JJ in the win.
    Rodney Hood had a big game opposite Gerald and Jahlil, with 18 pts on 13 shots.
    Gerald went for 7 while Jahlil had his biggest game of the year with 15 pts on 14 shots.
    Justise doesn't want to talk about his game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    JJ with his 1st JJ-like game of the season, 20 pts on 9 shots. Austin got 11 points on 10 shots alongside JJ in the win.
    Gerald went for 7 while Jahlil had his biggest game of the year with 15 pts on 14 shots.
    Winslow doesn't want to talk about shooting. On the year, he's shooting 31% and 15% from 3pt land. Is Winslow the new MKG?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Although they lost and ESPN showed every point Westbrook scored, didn't Westbrook score a season low 14 points (and shoot like...well like Justise has been shooting)?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Although they lost and ESPN showed every point Westbrook scored, didn't Westbrook score a season low 14 points (and shoot like...well like Justise has been shooting)?
    it's fair to point out that Justise's defense is what is earning him PT, but 2-13 FG is beyond horrendous.

Looks like Seth and Tyus both played well last night. Kyrie too, but that's expected.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Looks like Seth and Tyus both played well last night. Kyrie too, but that's expected.
    Tyus was awesome! His 32 minutes were the 3rd most on the team, well ahead of the 16 minutes played by starting PG Kris Dunn. Dunn, by the way, had a plus minus of -10 while Tyus was +1. The TWolves lost to the Nets by 9 despite Tyus scoring 12 points on 4-7 shooting (2-4 on 3s). He had a team-leading 7 assists as well as 5 rebounds and 5 steals.

Seth had his best day as a pro. 23 points on 9-15 shooting (4-7 from 3) with 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals. He had a plus minus of +22, best on the team.

-Jason "showin' they belong in the bigs and that they deserve more opportunity" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tyus was awesome! His 32 minutes were the 3rd most on the team, well ahead of the 16 minutes played by starting PG Kris Dunn. Dunn, by the way, had a plus minus of -10 while Tyus was +1. The TWolves lost to the Nets by 9 despite Tyus scoring 12 points on 4-7 shooting (2-4 on 3s). He had a team-leading 7 assists as well as 5 rebounds and 5 steals.

Seth had his best day as a pro. 23 points on 9-15 shooting (4-7 from 3) with 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals. He had a plus minus of +22, best on the team.

-Jason "showin' they belong in the bigs and that they deserve more opportunity" Evans
    And the babywolves still lost to the lowly Nets. I thought, with a second year KAT and Wiggins, this team would look really good. But they are 1-5, with losses to the Kings, Nuggets, and Nets, three teams without any playoff hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    And the babywolves still lost to the lowly Nets. I thought, with a second year KAT and Wiggins, this team would look really good. But they are 1-5, with losses to the Kings, Nuggets, and Nets, three teams without any playoff hopes.
    Those guys may be really talented but they're so, so young. Not just in age, but in experience. They're all at least 5 years away from their physical primes. It'll take a while before they get it as pros.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyus ultimately surpass Mr Dunn...he doesn't physically look all that impressive by NBA standards (Tyus), but we know better...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyus ultimately surpass Mr Dunn...he doesn't physically look all that impressive by NBA standards (Tyus), but we know better...
    One of the things we learned about Tyus is that if he's in at crunch time, he's gonna do something extra good. When he's in the flow of the game, he's really good at controlling its tempo and getting the ball to the right people. Prior to last night, his PT had been so low that it was hard for him to find the sweet spot to have much impact on the game. Give him 32 minutes and you get a very solid performance.

Seth got the start vs his brother last night, but Steph got the better end of the deal. Seth did rack up 9 assists and 5 steals to go with 10 pts on 4/17 FGs.
    Tyus followed up his first game of extended minutes (32) with yet another (31) and got 10 pts on 9 FGs and 5/4/2 ast/reb/stl. and his team won, again. He may beat out Dunn for the starting spot before long...
    Jahlil followed up his first good showing offensively with another solid offensive game, going for 15 pts on 11 FGs. He started in Embiid's place as the 76ers lost yet again. Gerald had his best game of the year alongside Jah with 17 pts on 14 shots.
    JJ had a modest game (10 pts on 5 shots) in a blowout win, and Austin had another solid game off the bench (9/5/4 pts/ast/reb)
    Rodney Hood was Duke alumni leading scorer with 20 on 14 FGs while MP2 was the most atrocious shooter of Duke alumni hitting just 1/12 FGs.
    Lance Thomas scored 6 pts on 3/5 FGs in NY win over the Nots.