Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

More Marathon Questions

OK, I ran the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women yesterday, finished in 1:15:43 for an average of 12:12 per mile. Not too bad, I was shooting for 12 minute miles and my watch stopped working before the race so I was guessing at my pace.

Here are my questions: I keep hearing about chafing being a problem, at what distance does that problem start kicking in? I'll tell you it's not 6.2 miles. I ran in the rain, the paper said it was perfect weather. I'll admit it was cool enough that I didn't need water at every stop, but running in the rain from mile 2 to mile 4 was not optimal. Still, no chafing.

How about wet shoes? Any suggetions on what to do about that? My feet recovered fairly quickly, as soon as I could I took off the wet socks and shoes, but that wasn't until I got home. Next time, I'll bring a change of foot wear, my feet were pruny but I did all right except for my big toe, it still hurts a bit today.

On the treadmill I've been able to run faster, with my last 5 mile run coming in at 54 minutes. With the rain, the other people on the course, having my shoe come untied because of the timing chip, and realizing I'm not very good at drinking and running at the same time, I'm not too disappointed, but I need to learn how to pace things better, so I'll take suggestions on that as well.

I can address just one of your questions. The chafing, and every other nightmare, started for me at mile 17. I was seriously undertrained, but my chafing experience may be representative.

Chafing

Some people don't have chafing problems, anatomically fortunate i guess. I run race distances up to half marathons and don't have chafing, even in the rain. But I know a lot of runners who have to put band aids on their nipples and grease their thighs. Clothing has a lot to do with it, too. Under Armour works great for me.

As a guy, I start band aids for anything over 6 miles, and vasoline/body glide for anything over 10-12, and I rarely have chafing problems. However, it definitely varies by runner. Clothing does make a big difference; 100% cotton shirts will cause more problems than spandex or coolmax.

Most marathons have stops at about mile 17 when they hand out gobs of vasoline on a popsicle stick for chafing, so if you're having a problem you didn't count on, you can address it. They also start to offer "goo" around this mileage as well, which I highly recommend you experiment with before the race.

One other tip - take 2-3 advil before you start a long run. It makes a big difference in your enjoyment of the race.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    As a guy, I start band aids for anything over 6 miles, and vasoline/body glide for anything over 10-12, and I rarely have chafing problems. However, it definitely varies by runner. Clothing does make a big difference; 100% cotton shirts will cause more problems than spandex or coolmax.

Most marathons have stops at about mile 17 when they hand out gobs of vasoline on a popsicle stick for chafing, so if you're having a problem you didn't count on, you can address it. They also start to offer "goo" around this mileage as well, which I highly recommend you experiment with before the race.

One other tip - take 2-3 advil before you start a long run. It makes a big difference in your enjoyment of the race.
    I'll second everything Highlander said, especially the vasoline and the use of the Gu/PowerbarGel/other gel based energy product. And I'm more of a 4 advil kind of guy (have been since high school cross country).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'll second everything Highlander said, especially the vasoline and the use of the Gu/PowerbarGel/other gel based energy product. And I'm more of a 4 advil kind of guy (have been since high school cross country).
    Rather than use Vaseline, you might want to check into any number of cycling products that are used to help chafing. My personal favorite is Butt-R, sold by REI. I suspect it's a bit pricey compared to Vaseline, but I never feel like I have a gob of jelly on me.

All about the weather

For chafing with me...it is all about the weather. The colder and dryer, the more chafing. It's a good news bad news, because cold and cool are what you want on long runs, but they dry out your skin much more, and you sweat less.

I recommend vasoline or glide on your inner legs and any place that can rub together before a run over 10 miles. Also bandaids on your nips are a must (at least for a guy) for anything over 10, and over 6 if it is cool and windy.

Finally a question - I've never done the Advil thing - I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't take it because it might mask an injury. Other marathoners out there - am I missing something.

3 1/2 weeks until the Raleigh marathon. Under 4 hours or bust!

Advil works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Finally a question - I've never done the Advil thing - I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't take it because it might mask an injury. Other marathoners out there - am I missing something.
    For me, advil before running takes some of the initial soreness and discomfort away, and I know a lot of other marathoners that do it as well. I've heard it called "runner candy" actually. It definitely improves my overall race experience. My rationale is that your body isn't used to running for 3-4 hours straight, and a few advil help you to relax and take the initial edge off of the general uncomfortableness of the event. I would say if you're worried about it, just take the recommended dosage. I usually only take 2-3 rather than 4, and I only do it for the longer runs in training.

I guess it's possible to mask an injury, but most distance runners are stubborn and used to running through pain, so I would think that would be a bigger risk of injury than an over the counter painkiller. If you won't stop when you get hurt, then this could make it worse, but if you're aware enough to know there's a problem, this shouldn't be an issue. Of course I say that as I hobble around the office with a sore achillies from overtraining, wondering how I will get my 15-18 in this weekend.

After all, the Richmond Marathon will be here in less than a month...
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    OK, I ran the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women yesterday, finished in 1:15:43 for an average of 12:12 per mile. Not too bad, I was shooting for 12 minute miles and my watch stopped working before the race so I was guessing at my pace.

Here are my questions: I keep hearing about chafing being a problem, at what distance does that problem start kicking in? I'll tell you it's not 6.2 miles. I ran in the rain, the paper said it was perfect weather. I'll admit it was cool enough that I didn't need water at every stop, but running in the rain from mile 2 to mile 4 was not optimal. Still, no chafing.

How about wet shoes? Any suggetions on what to do about that? My feet recovered fairly quickly, as soon as I could I took off the wet socks and shoes, but that wasn't until I got home. Next time, I'll bring a change of foot wear, my feet were pruny but I did all right except for my big toe, it still hurts a bit today.

On the treadmill I've been able to run faster, with my last 5 mile run coming in at 54 minutes. With the rain, the other people on the course, having my shoe come untied because of the timing chip, and realizing I'm not very good at drinking and running at the same time, I'm not too disappointed, but I need to learn how to pace things better, so I'll take suggestions on that as well.
    i've run numerous marathons and 3 ironmen so i know a thing or 2 about chafing. the most important thing is to wear something that fits and something that you have worn before in a long run (and therefore know fits you well). the last 10k of a marathon usually is filled with guys with 2 red vertical rectangles on the front of their shirts from massive chafing that turned into bleeding.

i'm assuing that you are a woman, based on your race, so i would use some form of a jogbra because it probably is going to protect you from a lot of the rubbing your shirt will do. if it's warm enough, just wear the jogbra. i really don't have any issues with chafing and i run a 20+ miler every week when i am training for a marathon. however, i don't take any chances during a race and put bandaids over my nipples (after shaving the area around them). vaseline is not something you want to use because if you are rubbing an area to the point that chafing is going to be an issue, the vaseline will be long gone after an hour or 2. you always can use nipguards:

http://www.nipguards.com/

regarding wet shoes, try and avoid the puddles if it is raining and make sure that your shoes fit. i never understood how so many people get massive blisters running a marathon when they should have run multiple 20+ milers in their shoes. you can't really avoid getting wet feet if it is raining so minimize the potential problems with shoes that fit and avoid the puddles.

Yeah, I'm a woman. I really don't think nipple chafing is going to become a problem but I did stab myself with a broken underwire before I went out and bought a jogbra. I have lost 7 pounds already (I'm shooting for 15) and I wasn't what you would call heavy to begin with, but, at my age and with 4 kids under my belt (I think that's a good way of putting it) there is NO WAY I'm running in just a jogbra.

I did avoid the puddles as much as possible. I'm just going to have to hope it doesn't rain in April. There's another habit that mystifies me, how do some folks run with no socks on? Even in my high school track star days when I had those beautiful lightweight cleats to run in, I wore socks. I couldn't stand the feel of just the shoe on my feet.

Yeah, I'm a woman. I really don't think nipple chafing is going to become a problem but I did stab myself with a broken underwire before I went out and bought a jogbra. I have lost 7 pounds already (I'm shooting for 15) and I wasn't what you would call heavy to begin with, but, at my age and with 4 kids under my belt (I think that's a good way of putting it) there is NO WAY I'm running in just a jogbra.

I did avoid the puddles as much as possible. I'm just going to have to hope it doesn't rain in April. There's another habit that mystifies me, how do some folks run with no socks on? Even in my high school track star days when I had those beautiful lightweight cleats to run in, I wore socks. I couldn't stand the feel of just the shoe on my feet.
    get shoes that fit your fit. i don't wear socks in triathlons up to a half ironman (ie, i run the half marathon in them with no socks). socks are very over-rated...

My girlie reaction is . . . EEWWW! Are ironman runs usually road races or are some of them cross country events? If so, you're running through dirt and maybe mud, dirty water, and that's before we consider the bacteria you're sweating off of your feet. Do you throw the shoes away after that or do you, shudder, actually put your feet back into them? And if you do, how do you get the insides of your shoes clean? And if you think, they're not that dirty inside, I have to ask how bad are the fungal infections on your feet?

Socks aren't so over-rated, you can wash them! (And I don't find them uncomfortable to run in, quite the opposite, in fact.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 10-12-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Hey! I'm Bobby Hurley! at 202

My girlie reaction is . . . EEWWW! Are ironman runs usually road races or are some of them cross country events? If so, you're running through dirt and maybe mud, dirty water, and that's before we consider the bacteria you're sweating off of your feet. Do you throw the shoes away after that or do you, shudder, actually put your feet back into them? And if you do, how do you get the insides of your shoes clean? And if you think, they're not that dirty inside, I have to ask how bad are the fungal infections on your feet?

Socks aren't so over-rated, you can wash them! (And I don't find them uncomfortable to run in, quite the opposite, in fact.)
    most ironmen are run on the roads. there is too much carnage going on in the latter part of the marathon to have been out in the foods far away from help. some of the half ironmen have some trail running. i know that the tupper lake half has about a mile in the woods.

you sound kind of squeamish but i'll let you in on a little secret. many people in an ironman go to the bathroom all over themselves multiple times throughout the race. you are taking in a lot of liquid and your body doesn't use all of it. on the bike you try and keep it away from the chain but it inevitably gets into a shoe. i've been able to master doing it on the run without breaking stride. that's something that most people cannot do. to answer your question, no, i don't throw shoes away because they are dirty. i also don't have problems with athlete's foot. maybe it is because my feet are so calloused up.

I'm giving up being Bobby Hurley to post this. I was kind of kidding with my last post, I'm not squeamish, but I take good care of my feet. Funny what different people can deal with. Long distance runners not bothering to take a pee break? No problem! Running without socks? EEEWWW! Callouses, athlete's foot, that nail fungus that makes the toenails all thick and yellow, yuck, yuck, and double yuck. And let's face it, feet are mostly ugly to begin with, particularly men's, then you add all that yuck to it, please just keep your socks on!

3 miles tonight in 29 minutes. I ran the first one for time as fast as I could before taking a walk break, 8:30, that's another 30 seconds off my mile time. I've taken off 4:30 since I first timed myself in July.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 10-12-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: But now I'm Wojo!

3 miles tonight in 29 minutes. I ran the first one for time as fast as I could before taking a walk break, 8:30, that's another 30 seconds off my mile time. I've taken off 4:30 since I first timed myself in July.
    Congrats, Boston! That's quite a drop, I bet it feels great! (After recovering from the gasping-for-air part of it, of course...) Hope the family's doing well, and are supporting their sprinting mommy!

To my fellow 26.2'ers

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    After all, the Richmond Marathon will be here in less than a month...
    Just thought I'd let everyone know the Richmond marathon I ran last weekend went off very well. My goal was to come in under 4 hours, and I finished around 3:55, so I was happy. Weather was cool, around 50 degrees, but not rainy or windy. Basically about as good as you could ask for as it wasn't too hot at all. A long sleeve coolmax shirt was plenty. I even ditched the gloves after mile 2. No serious chafing issues or injuries thank goodness.

I wore my Duke Basketball shorts, only to find out later that the race took us through the center of VCU's campus. Had I thought ahead, I would have gotten my picture taking stomping on the yellow ram painted in the middle of the street as I ran by. No one gave me any grief, thank goodness.

The race was very well supported, and there were many areas where people just lined the sides three and four deep. The course wasn't incredibly bad (I won't say it's easy b/c I believe there is no such thing as an easy marathon), but the scenery was nice and varied. The finish was downhill into a chute, which made things exciting. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't run it to try it.

I am guessing EarlJam would have appreciated this, but the Richmond Hash House Harriers had a beer stop there with an open keg at mile 19. I passed on it, though. Beer and running just doesn't sounded like a good idea to me.

Also, I got an email that they are adding a half marathon for next year, as well as discounting the marathon entry fee for those that register before 12/31. If you are so inclined, the website is www.richmondmarathon.com.
    "There can BE only one."

OK, I ran the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women yesterday, finished in 1:15:43 for an average of 12:12 per mile. Not too bad,
    Wow, congrats! Muy impressive!

Well, I did 7.5 miles today but I only timed the first 7 - 1:16:10.

That's a little over 5.5 miles an hour. That looks like progress.

Which is a 5 hour marathon which beats Katie Holmes (my new goal). My goal was to finish before they let the cars back on Comm Ave. Now I'm shooting for 5:28:00.