Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wink Duke vs. Virginia Tech

We have no chance against them. They are better athletes, better coached, better conditioned. They have better fans. We don't belong on the same field as them.

Or so someone once said (paraphrasing liberally) before a 1 - 3 Duke team played Clemson in 1989...

Stay home at your own peril!

BEAT VaTech!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

While I'm pretty sure of the outcome of Saturday's game, I want Duke to make VT to earn the win.

But, I'm soooo going to be at this game just in case I'm wrong and this is the weekend of major upsets.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    While I'm pretty sure of the outcome of Saturday's game, I want Duke to make VT to earn the win.

But, I'm soooo going to be at this game just in case I'm wrong and this is the weekend of major upsets.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!
    My brother is a VTech grad, and I'm going to the game with him. Nothing would make me happier than for Duke to stick it to VTech in Football like they stuck it to us in Basketball a few years ago.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    My brother is a VTech grad, and I'm going to the game with him. Nothing would make me happier than for Duke to stick it to VTech in Football like they stuck it to us in Basketball a few years ago.
    I forgot about that! Even more of a reason to cheer on the Blue Devils!!!

I'm going to tear down a goal post after the VICTORY! WHEW!

Yikes, that may be a sore subject around campus right now!

Do you guys remember last year's game? Thaddeus Lewis doesn't. That's why I want to win this game, to truly right the wrong of the worst cheap shot I've seen in years followed by the unwillingness of the league to do anything about it.

You are right about that DevilWolf.....that was definitely a cheap shot. I hope Thad comes out blazing. I still remember that play. Thad had thrown the ball and it was half way to the receiver when he got speared in the head. Va. Tech has always played dirty in my opinion. There were several late hit calls in that game.

Section 5, Row PP

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We have no chance against them. They are better athletes, better coached, better conditioned. They have better fans. We don't belong on the same field as them.

Or so someone once said (paraphrasing liberally) before a 1 - 3 Duke team played Clemson in 1989...

Stay home at your own peril!

BEAT VaTech!
    I have not been to WW in a while. Section 5 looks good, but can anyone tell me -- how far back is row PP?

Thanks,
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    I have not been to WW in a while. Section 5 looks good, but can anyone tell me -- how far back is row PP?

Thanks,
    Pretty close to the disgusting rooms in which you can PP.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

VA Tech had better take Duke seriously

The Miami game was Lewis’ 16th college start. The quarterback position has not been one of strength or consistency for the past decade (Thad is the 10th different starter in the last 10 seasons), but Lewis has made it clear with his play that he can lead the team. He’s developed chemistry with his receivers, most notably Jomar Wright and Eron Riley, and he just has a knack for making things happen. He is developing poise under pressure and has both the respect and the confidence of his teammates. At Miami his receivers had trouble getting separation from the secondary and his linemen couldn’t hold back the rush of future pros such as Calais Campbell forever, but there was no finger-pointing going on afterward.

As much as Lewis was harassed by the Canes, with all the sacks, hits and two strips for fumbles, he kept getting up for more. After the game he was asked about two consecutive plays where his helmet was knocked off. “I had to tighten up the chin strap a little bit,” he said. “It’s the game of football, baby. You’re going to get roughed up a little bit.”

Lewis has completed over 60 percent of his passes this year, with 11 touchdowns against just five interceptions. He is the first quarterback in Duke history to throw for double-digit touchdowns in each of his first two years (11 last year). Even the rival Hurricanes acknowledged his considerable potential as they congratulated him after the game.

‘’Thad is a pretty good player,’’ end Eric Moncur told the Miami Herald. Moncur played against Lewis in high school and broke through for the critical sack on fourth down with three minutes left.
    “A lot of coaches and players on this team feel he’s going to be the man when he’s a senior.’’
    I firmly believe that they are on the threshold of moving to the next level.

Thanks,
    Probably about 48 rows up.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Do you guys remember last year's game? Thaddeus Lewis doesn't. That's why I want to win this game, to truly right the wrong of the worst cheap shot I've seen in years followed by the unwillingness of the league to do anything about it.
    More like cheap shotS. I remember the one you are talking about, but there were at least 2 others that were ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I firmly believe that they are on the threshold of moving to the next level.
    I believed this half-heartedly before the season, but the way we are playing I am finally entrenched in this belief. We are so young and still playing solid football. Next year we should return a lot of starters at key positions and be in good shape.

Thanks,
    t-beard's hilarious comment aside, you can pretty much sit wherever you want in WW, b/c the stadium usually has a lot of vacancy. That's not a swipe at anyone, i'm being serious. If you have crappy seats, you can definitely move closer to the field.

Row PP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    t-beard's hilarious comment aside, you can pretty much sit wherever you want in WW, b/c the stadium usually has a lot of vacancy. That's not a swipe at anyone, i'm being serious. If you have crappy seats, you can definitely move closer to the field.
    Wallace Wade is a lot like Cameron in that sitting in the last row is still a pretty darn good seat. And section 5 puts you about mid field, near the President's box. Lots of folks like to sit higher in the stands for a better view. I prefer the other (west) side of the field so the sun is not in my eyes as the afternoon wears on.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Vpi

I don't think there's anybody else on the schedule that I'd rather see Duke beat this season than VPI -- and that includes UNC.

I thought last year's VPI gameplan was borderline criminal. I'm not complaining about bringing a lot of pressure on a young QB ... that's part of football and it was good strategy against a freshman who had just thrown for 300-plus yards. But it sure looked like there was a systematic effort to injury or at least knock out Lewis.

As Silky pointed out, Rouse's vicious late hit on Lewis was not the first dirty blow delivered by VPI's defense -- it was the third that was flagged as a late hit. I remember that the second one came on a play in the end zone ... as the TV replay rolled, Lewis was hit a second after he released the ball and the announcer was saying, "That's a pretty borderline call ..." Just as he got the word "call" out, Lewis was speared by ANOTHER VPI defensive lineman -- that was the play that drew the flag.

Are three late hits, all leading with the helmet, in 20 minutes (the Rouse hit was five minutes into the second quarter) evidence of a plan to physically injure an opponent? Was Beamer's cavalier dismissal of any criticism of Rouse (reportedly his punishment was that he had to run a few sprints the next week in practice) evidence that he countenenced the assault?

It will be interesting to watch Saturday and see if VPI mounts another attack on Lewis. Pressure ... fine. But watch out for the late hits. If it happens again, I hope Roof will stand up for his quarterback a little more vocally than he did last year. And I hope there were be enough Duke fans in WW to let Beamer know that he's not beloved everywhere.

PS I know that the people in Blacksburg don't want to be called VPI any more. My attitude is $^%$ them. When they begin to behave with a little class, I'll show them some consideration.

The good news is that Virginia Tech's offense is not very good. The bad news is that their defense is very good. Additionally, they have achieved significant success with their special teams. In order to have a chance to win the game, we must play turnover free football, not give up big plays, and protect Thad Lewis so he can throw the ball to our talented receivers. It'll take 60 minutes of solid effort to achieve, but it sure would be great to knock of the # 12 (AP) team in the nation.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    PS I know that the people in Blacksburg don't want to be called VPI any more. My attitude is $^%$ them. When they begin to behave with a little class, I'll show them some consideration.
    Keep singin it brotha.

HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HIGH, GO TO HELL V-P-I!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't think there's anybody else on the schedule that I'd rather see Duke beat this season than VPI -- and that includes UNC.

I thought last year's VPI gameplan was borderline criminal. I'm not complaining about bringing a lot of pressure on a young QB ... that's part of football and it was good strategy against a freshman who had just thrown for 300-plus yards. But it sure looked like there was a systematic effort to injury or at least knock out Lewis.

As Silky pointed out, Rouse's vicious late hit on Lewis was not the first dirty blow delivered by VPI's defense -- it was the third that was flagged as a late hit. I remember that the second one came on a play in the end zone ... as the TV replay rolled, Lewis was hit a second after he released the ball and the announcer was saying, "That's a pretty borderline call ..." Just as he got the word "call" out, Lewis was speared by ANOTHER VPI defensive lineman -- that was the play that drew the flag.

Are three late hits, all leading with the helmet, in 20 minutes (the Rouse hit was five minutes into the second quarter) evidence of a plan to physically injure an opponent? Was Beamer's cavalier dismissal of any criticism of Rouse (reportedly his punishment was that he had to run a few sprints the next week in practice) evidence that he countenenced the assault?

It will be interesting to watch Saturday and see if VPI mounts another attack on Lewis. Pressure ... fine. But watch out for the late hits. If it happens again, I hope Roof will stand up for his quarterback a little more vocally than he did last year. And I hope there were be enough Duke fans in WW to let Beamer know that he's not beloved everywhere.

Actually, people don't really mind being called VPI. It's at the end of the fight song.

While no punishment other than the normal sprints for personal fouls was handed out to Rouse directly, ACC officials have generally been pretty quick with the late hit flags on VT since that game. Most VT fans will acknowledge that the undisciplined behavior of the team in the early games last year is the reason they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

As for a systematic plan to hurt Lewis, the only thing systematic is that the VT coaching staff, and every other coaching staff in the history of football, recruits players who would want to intimidate a freshman quarterback. You don't have to be George Halas to know that a quarterback will get rattled if you can get a lot of hits on him. That said, Rouse definitely crossed the line last year, and VT defensive end Chris Ellis in particular has done so throughout his career. Rouse, however, had a habit of lowering his head, and there was a play in the VT-WF game last year in which the WF fullback lowered his head to run over Rouse, but Rouse lowered his own head to make the tackle, and both went down hard.

Keep in mind, though, that slow motion replay greatly distorts the way the game appears, and to some, it made what was a horrible cheap shot on Lewis look more like premeditated assault. College football is a very fast and very physical game in which players (especially on defense) react to situations before they have time to think. You see egregious late hits and cheap shots every week, especially in the NFL, where the officials have tried hard to crack down on cornerbacks and safeties who take full-speed shots at receivers after incomplete passes. Fortunately, most of these hits aren't helmet-to-helmet, but the pervasive philosophy in the game-- at least for players-- is to get as many big hits in as you can (SI or ESPN had an article recently on violent hits in the NFL).

Duke 63, VT 0

At least that was the final score I got last night playing NCAA Football 2006. Surely it's based in reality right?

I think Duke has a great chance to win this game as long as our special teams don't get blown off the field, which, very obviously, is iffy. VT's offense will keep us in the game. I don't think they have an o-line that can control the LOS against Duke, which is a rare thing to see. They won't score many points against us if they have the long field to work with, imo. They'll need turnovers and ST play to score. To summarize, if our special teams hold their own, and if Duke doesn't turn the ball over, this is a dead even game. I've tossed a few dollars on Duke +14 and Duke moneyline. Go Devils!

I remember getting very angry last year while watching last year's Va Tech game and just reading all this stuff is making me angry all over again. As far as I'm concerned, this is a grudge match. We have to meet them with some physical play of our own. Maybe we can beat them, maybe we can't, but, yeah, we have to make them earn it the hard way.