Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Joe Torre Job status

I hate the Yankees. Always have, always will (in a sports rivalry kind of way). But Joe Torre. Man. I'm watching the post-game/series press conference now. He's all class. Best of luck Joe to whatever you may do next. You've been incredible for baseball over the years.

Cheers to Joe Torre.

-EarlJam

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I hate the Yankees. Always have, always will (in a sports rivalry kind of way). But Joe Torre. Man. I'm watching the post-game/series press conference now. He's all class. Best of luck Joe to whatever you may do next. You've been incredible for baseball over the years.

Cheers to Joe Torre.

-EarlJam
    My memory is failing. Wasn't he manager of the Braves for a while back in their terrible years? If so, for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My memory is failing. Wasn't he manager of the Braves for a while back in their terrible years? If so, for how long?
    He did manage the Braves, and played for them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Torre

Wonder what, if anything, he'll do now.

The Yankees don't deserve him. My dream - that Cal Ripkin will buy the Orioles away from the evil Angelos and then hire Torre to manage the team.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    The Yankees don't deserve him. My dream - that Cal Ripkin will buy the Orioles away from the evil Angelos and then hire Torre to manage the team.
    THAT, my friend, is one beautiful dream!

And let me add to it a bit. As I see this dream unfolding, I turn on the television to see Mel Procter and John Lowenstein in the broadcast booth, ready to call the game.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Is this too much to hope for?

My father suggested Torre for the O's until I reminded him they signed Trembley already. I wish the O's had waited until after the WS to sign a manager to see who was available. Especially since the O's had 30 runs scored against them before the ink was dry on Trembley's contract.

And let me add to it a bit. As I see this dream unfolding, I turn on the television to see Mel Procter and John Lowenstein in the broadcast booth, ready to call the game.

-EarlJam
    I loved Lowenstien in the booth. Baseball saavy, funny, and almost always the smartest guy in the room.

Cheers to Joe Torre.

-EarlJam
    Bring him back to Atlanta where he belongs.

-EarlJam
    Even better, they are doing the game on radio - that way I can listen to them on headphones while I sit at Camden Yards eating a crab cake sandwhich.

Torre managing Braves

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He wasn't there in the terrible years. Only from '82 to '84, they won the NL West in '82, and the lowest win total as Braves manager is 80. Torre did manage some really terrible Mets teams before that.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    He wasn't there in the terrible years. Only from '82 to '84, they won the NL West in '82, and the lowest win total as Braves manager is 80. Torre did manage some really terrible Mets teams before that.
    As a Mets fan since the first year (62), I remember those awful teams. Joe always struck me as a manager that needed to be in the right situation (I know, who doesn't?). He probably won't win games on his decision making alone during the game, but probably wouldn't lose many either. His strength (and weakness) is over a longer horizon. He's a great clubhouse guy, treating players with respect and professionalism. A "grandfather" type relying on strong team members (e.g, O'Neill, Jeter, etc) for the fire and kicks in the butt. He also tends to overwork the bullpen, so longer term they might burn out and perform at even a lower level than their abilities would suggest. (Then again, with this year's starting pitching I can see why the buullpen was called on earlier than one would hope for.)

Joe is a gentleman; I don't think George deserves him. I'd trade him straight up for his protege taking up space on MY bench.

Smile love Cal

GO CAL. A class guy with more baseball knowledge in his fingertips than most have in their whole bodies. PLEASE let him sign with my METS. The O's don't deserve him -- although I doubt he'd go anywhere else. He loves his minor league team in Maryland. Anyway, I'll root for Cal wherever he goes.

And, yeah -- Let's see him buy the Orioles. please, please.

why would cal sign witht the mets he is born and raised aberdeen boy and althogh he loves the ironbirds he loves the babe ruth baseball world series that comes to his aberdeen stadium every year

I hope George is smart enough to keep Joe Torre as manager. And I think he is.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Torre

Torre is great. He's impossible to hate no matter how hard I try. I'd love to see him move on to somewhere else where he can work for a decent human being. Then I can admit it openly.

Plus the bonus - if he is forced out, then half those overpriced, aging Yankees players will bolt and we'll see Steinbrenner shamed as the Yanks plummet to the bottom of the AL East.... ah, a man can dream, can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I hope George is smart enough to keep Joe Torre as manager. And I think he is.
    Really though, if you were Torre, would you want to come back after being publicly threatened and talked down to by your boss like that?

"Hey everyone! I want you all to know that if Ozzie doesn't come through on this one, I'm going to can him! I can do that because I have absolute power!"

Suddenly everyone's talking: "Did you hear about Ozzie? His arse is going to be grass if he doesn't win the Pensky account! George really laid into him!"

Then, after losing the account, the very next day everyone's discussing your future: "So has he fired Ozzie yet? Oh man, he's SO gone! Poor Ozzie."

Forget that man. I'd tell George to shove it either way. It's not like Torre needs the money. The ONLY thing I can think of that would make me want to stay in that situation is if the players were really counting on me to come back.

-EarlJam

Joe says no

http://www.wral.com/sports/baseball/mlb/story/1944751/

What do you, DBR members, read into this? Is Torre looking for more money? Is he ready to say goodbye George (my theory)? What do you read into this?

good for him!

takes balls to turn down that kind of money but they really didnt show him respect. the guy's record is phenomenal and unless he wins it all they place the blame on him.

Send him home to Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Send him home to Atlanta
    $24.50 for a Yankees Cap

$375.00 for a round trip ticket to New York City

$100.00 limo fare to Yankee Stadium to meet with George Steinbrenner

Saying Thanks but NO Thanks to your ego-manic, disrespectful boss and telling him to take his Louisville Slugger and shove it where the sun don't shine..........PRICELESS.

-EarlJam