Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Let me second that. Vacendak was no more a point guard than Grayson Allen or Nolan Smith. In fact, I would suggest that for his era, his game was a lot like Nolan's.

He actually played as much small forward as guard early in his career. On the great 1965 team (when Vacendak was a junior), Denny Ferguson played guard alongside Verga and Vacendak played forward (no one called it a three-guard set in those days). In 1966, Bubas went smaller and Vacendak played guard alongside Verga (with Marin, Riedy and Lewis up front). We don't have assist totals from that year, but in my memory, Verga and Vacendak shared the playmaking role. Vacendak averaged 13.3 ppg, so he certainly got his share of shots.

Vacendak had an interesting career in that he never made first-team All-ACC. As a senior, he finished second-team and was the ninth-leading vote-getter in the league.

Then he stepped up big in the ACC Tournament (an event Duke had to win to get an NCAA bid) and when the vote was taken for ACC Player of the Year the week after the tournament, Vacendak was voted as ACC Player of the Year as Marin, Verga and UNC's Bob Lewis (who led the league in scoring by a wide margin) split the vote.

He's still the only player to be voted ACC Player of the Year without making first-team All-ACC.
    Good points by both you and RPS. Do y'all remember who was the point guard assigned to break the famed "UCLA press" the year UCLA came to the "Lost Weekend in Carolina", however? I think that display of talent, coupled with his scoring ability and defense, cemented Vacendak's role as the point guard IMVHO. Vacendak ran the show as far as I am concerned, and took over after Ferguson graduated. Verga was not even close to the ball handler that is required for the point guard position. Vacendak had every quality for a truly excellent point guard. Too bad they didn't keep assist stats back then. (And too bad they didn't have the 3 point shot for Verga. It was such a great experience being in the Indoor Stadium holding up two fingers and screaming "two, Verga, two! as the the ball left his hand from somewhere outside the top of the key area. His form was just so pretty to watch. I am old. Just an old "Crustie". Sigh.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    I suspect his Dad wanted a guarantee, which wasn't forthcoming for previously stated reasons, but he could have played his way to the starting PG position. He walked away from a supporting cast that could have made him look very good, that's for sure.
    As posted above, I also think that Greg Paulus was a beneficiary of a great scoring "supporting" cast... so might be a good comparision. But also because of this year's great scoring "support cast", I think a combination of Grayson, Matt, Frank, and Luke will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tommy Amaker. He was really, really good. A lock down defender and pass first point guard who could score.
    I'll play. And vote for Tommy. Skill set is perfect for this team. But more important for me is the way he would fit in with his teammates. Senior Tommy would provide the quiet leadership while allowing Amile and Matt and Grayson to lead the team in other ways. This team is REALLY young and Amaker would be an outstanding teammate for the youngsters. Laetner probably wouldn't be a good choice for this group.

Billy King would be up there in my choices as the best defender Duke has ever had, the type of defensive effort that raises the effort of the rest of the team. I would love to see Matt channel Billy King this year.

If we could pick any player, it would have to be Grant Hill. He could do anything asked of him on the basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tommy Amaker. He was really, really good. A lock down defender and pass first point guard who could score.
    The difference between 11-17 and 24-10, and the program never looked back.

I completely agree with the consensus that we would want a pure PG and that Amaker would be the best fit based on the criteria. But I will throw one more name out there for discussion - Chris Carrawell. He played all five positions, so while far from a pure PG, he could help out there and elsewhere. And his personality, character and leadership were unmatched.

If we were still in the 80's; I would agree with Tommy A. as the best choice. In 2016, the game has become much more physical. Teams look for a mismatch to take advantage of. Due to Tommy's small statue and slight build; I think he would be taken advantage of defensively. Bigger stronger point guards would muscle him into the paint where help would have to come. I would pick Duhon. Although he was not a big PG; by his senior year, he was much more physical than Tommy. He also had very long arms and could do most of the things Amaker could do. I also think that Scheyer would be a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsince1977 View Post
    If we were still in the 80's; I would agree with Tommy A. as the best choice. In 2016, the game has become much more physical. Teams look for a mismatch to take advantage of. Due to Tommy's small statue and slight build; I think he would be taken advantage of defensively. Bigger stronger point guards would muscle him into the paint where help would have to come. I would pick Duhon. Although he was not a big PG; by his senior year, he was much more physical than Tommy. He also had very long arms and could do most of the things Amaker could do. I also think that Scheyer would be a great fit.
    Is this true, though, since freedom of movement rules have been introduced? I'd consider both Quinn and Tyus to be smaller (Quinn) or not as strong (Tyus) as Amaker and yet they started together on a team that became a defensive juggernaut in the tourney. Also, college teams are not great at taking advantage of mismatches like NBA teams are. I can't imagine that Amaker would be worse defensively than Tyus and Quinn . . . In fact, I'd think he'd be far superior, based on reputation. I did not get to see Amaker play in college, which is why I didn't pick him. My choice was Will Avery with his combination of speed and three point shooting ability because I think it would be fun to see this year's team play at a high tempo. That being said, it seems like a pass first, defense first point guard who could single-handedly take opposing pg out of the game like Amaker sounds like the PERFECT addition to this team.

Tommy was extremely quick and fundamentally sound, even as a freshman. He and Dawkins were like a buzzsaw on defense, one of the best defensive guard combos in the history of the college game.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I believe the rules were a) no one and dones, and b) nobody with their jersey in the rafters. This eliminates, Jones, Hurly, Dawkins. Irving. I guess that leaves Amaker from your list.
    You are right - did not read the rules. Amaker is my choice.

It almost feels like cheating to say Tyus Jones but I'm gonna say Tyus Jones.

I agree about Duhom and Amaker being good choices as well. If we really want a defensive point guard, I think we could put Sean Dockery and Matt Jones on the floor at the same time when we really need a stop and feel pretty good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post

I agree about Duhom and Amaker being good choices as well. If we really want a defensive point guard, I think we could put Sean Dockery and Matt Jones on the floor at the same time when we really need a stop and feel pretty good about it.
    Comparing Matt Jones's D to Duhon's or Amaker's isn't fair to Duhon or Amaker. Those guys had hyper elite D; Matt Jones has been really good, but I don't think it's on the same page as the other two.

I like the Sean Dockery pick, but he adds one of two elements that this team is lacking: lock-down D. Duhon and Amaker also bring that second element: distribution.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post

Well, it is cheating according to the rules that were laid out by the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Well, it is cheating according to the rules that were laid out by the OP.
    This thread is so much fun!

Why would we bother to stick to the rules outlined at the preface of the discussion? What is this, a presidential debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Why would we bother to stick to the rules outlined at the preface of the discussion? What is this, a presidential debate?
    If it was you could totally ignore all rules and answer in Swahili.

Great thread idea.

I'm going to have to go with Will Avery. Great combination of speed, athletic ability, distribution, and scoring prowess.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Amaker or Duhon. I think a lockdown defensive pg would be fantastic.

I think even an Andre Buckner would be nice insurance for next year's team

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Well, I am one of those that thinks sticking to the rules makes things more fun.

I think bothering to stick to the rules, in this situation, makes the thread far more interesting. The OP is asking what small extra piece would you most like to see inserted into this year's Duke team, which appears to be a budding juggernaut.

Free to pick any former Blue Devil, everyone's answer should probably just be Grant Hill... kind of a boring thread. If Grant Hill was on this last year's team, we win the NCAA Championship.

With the OP's original stipulations, I think there is more nuance to be explored in each poster's choice.