Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

unc Athletics Scandal: NCAA Procedural Hearing Soon!

Dan Kane is back with a lengthy story in the N&O regarding the UNC "investigation" of the bogus classes scam

Carolina's Blind Side - At UNC, a missed clue, and a mantra: This was not about athletics

Newly released correspondence reflects a mindset at UNC-Chapel Hill that doubted or disputed information pointing to the athletic roots of a scheme of bogus classes. University lawyers missed, or chose to ignore, an early clue that could have unraveled the fabric of the scheme...

The lawyers’ lack of vigor in 2010 was representative of leaders at UNC and the university system, a review of tens of thousands of pages of records recently released to The News & Observer shows. That correspondence reflects a mindset that doubted or disputed information pointing to the athletic roots of the scandal – and reveals anger and frustration from some leaders directed at board members or reporters who pushed for more disclosure....

This story has unfolded slowly for six years. Now, as the NCAA’s latest enforcement case nears its end, The N&O has reviewed the newly released correspondence, looking for clues about why it took so long for one of the country’s top public universities to discover the full scope of its corrosive shadow curriculum.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/spe...101978907.html

Apparently the article posted online today will be the first of a series

Just to make sure folks don't forget the basics:

The findings were so shocking they made network newscasts: 18 years of fake classes that had no instruction, automatic high marks for papers “graded” by Crowder, a scheme born to help maintain the eligibility of athletes in major revenue sports. Her boss, department chairman Nyang’oro, created three more bogus classes after Crowder retired in 2009.
    (They're still gonna skate...)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    You're saying you cover them up.

You must have taken The Art of Artful Art 101 (a paper class independent study) at UNC summer school
    All that is required is to submit a paper at the end of the class covered in Wite-Out. Everyone who does (or has an advisor submit it for them) gets an A-. The "-" is later redacted.

Oh wait. I just described the grading process for EVERY class a unc scholarship athlete takes.

Somehow this got teleported from the longer unc scandal thread.
    Last edited by BD80; 09-16-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: mystifying appearance in this thread

The odd thing is that this didn't appear in the print edition of the N&O. Kane did a 4 part story and the N&O spiked it?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    All that is required is to submit a paper at the end of the class covered in Wite-Out. Everyone who does (or has an advisor submit it for them) gets an A-. The "-" is later redacted.

Oh wait. I just described the grading process for EVERY class a unc scholarship athlete takes.

Somehow this got teleported from the longer unc scandal thread.
    Maybe it got teleported to this thread because The Art of Artful Art 101 was supposed to be taught by none other than Art Chansky (stolen from brevity; plagiarism is encouraged in these paper classes).

But even though his name and signature appeared on the grade roll for the course, Art no-showed it. When asked about it Art started blathering 'I didn't teach the class. What did you expect? Coach K is selfish and his ridiculous recruiting advantage has angered many college coaches. And the NBA coaches remain livid.'

When asked why his name was on the grade roll if he didn't teach the class, he smiled and said, FERPA, FERPA, FERPA, FERPA. UNC officials declined to release relevant emails, despite repeated requests from The N&O. They cited the state’s personnel law and the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    (They're still gonna skate...)

-jk
    But Cleveland State may get the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The odd thing is that this didn't appear in the print edition of the N&O. Kane did a 4 part story and the N&O spiked it?
    My guess is just another example of how newspapers operate these days - the story to which I linked showed up online mid-day

I would bet this story rolls out in the Sunday print edition and assume subsequent articles in the four part series are printed in the paper throughout next week

N&O is being very thorough in documenting its reporting, identifying who agreed to talk and who did not

Those interviewed:

Former Chancellor Holden Thorp; former UNC trustee chairman Wade Hargrove; former interim general counsel David Parker; spokesman Rick White; former general counsel Leslie Strohm; attorneys Kenneth Wainstein and Joseph Jay of the Cadwalader law firm; former board of governors member Burley Mitchell; former system president Tom Ross; current system president Margaret Spellings; system spokeswoman Joni Worthington; associate athletic director Vince Ille; Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall; board of governors chairman Louis Bissette; and former Gov. Jim Martin...

Those who declined to speak or who could not be reached:

NCAA officials; several current and former attorneys in UNC’s general counsel office; Swahili instructor Alphonse Mutima; Chancellor Carol Folt; former board of governors chairs Peter Hans, Hannah Gage and John Fennebresque; former board of governors members Hari Nath, Ann Goodnight, Jim Deal, Walter Davenport and Brent Barringer; former and current trustees including Dwight Stone (chairman), Lowry Caudill (past chairman), Alston Gardner, Sallie Shuping-Russell, Peter Grauer, Charles Duckett; former chief spokeswoman Nancy Davis; former chief of staff Erin Schuettpelz; former athletic tutor Whitney Read; UNC history professor James Leloudis; and former tennis player Joe Frierson.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/spe...#storylink=cpy

Note that bold agent of change and transparency Carol Folt was among those who declined to speak to the N&O

An e-mail to N & O subscribers today provided the following announcement about the upcoming Sunday edition:

"Carolina's Blind Side: Read our new four-part investigative series that reveals why it took so long to uncover the UNC academic scandal
    Read our new investigative series online now."

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    An e-mail to N & O subscribers today provided the following announcement about the upcoming Sunday edition:

"Carolina's Blind Side: Read our new four-part investigative series that reveals why it took so long to uncover the UNC academic scandal
    Read our new investigative series online now."
    In that case, it sounds like Kane prepared a four part series but the N&O was only willing to publish one part. They just let him post the rest online.

In that case, it sounds like Kane prepared a four part series but the N&O was only willing to publish one part. They just let him post the rest online.
    That's not the way I read it. My interpretation is that the N & O intends to publish the entire 4-part series in the paper edition starting Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    That's not the way I read it. My interpretation is that the N & O intends to publish the entire 4-part series in the paper edition starting Sunday.
    I don't remember a case where a newspaper allowed a reporter to start publishing a series online two days before it started appearing in print. Whatever is going on, it's odd.

I don't remember a case where a newspaper allowed a reporter to start publishing a series online two days before it started appearing in print. Whatever is going on, it's odd.
    As a Washington Post subscriber, I often see online stories a few days before seeing them in print.

-jk

As a Washington Post subscriber, I often see online stories a few days before seeing them in print.

-jk
    I tweeted a question to Kane and he replied that it would all appear in the print edition. The newspaper business is a mystery to me now. I think it's a mystery to the publishers as well since no one seems to be able to make a profit in the newspaper business.

-jk
    Portions of the NY Times weekend paper are online on Friday. It's a new era.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The front page of today's (Saturday) print edition (top left corner) advertises this as "coming Sunday" and available on line now. This story is featured not buried.

It is a great article. I am eager to see the rest.

It continues to amaze me that they are going to get away with all of this.

I guess the NCAA views the removal of championships, etc. as punishment enough for North Carolina. That way they won't have to punish the flagship university for such trivial violations.

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    I guess the NCAA views the removal of championships, etc. as punishment enough for North Carolina. That way they won't have to punish the flagship university for such trivial violations.
    Umm...what?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Umm...what?
    your sarcasm meter may be turned off...

"Greensboro and Asheville must pay for the sins of Chapel Hill!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Umm...what?
    I think the OP was sarcastically referring to the NCAA's response to North Carolina's transgender bathroom law as sufficient punishment to UNC for their transgressions.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016