Page 73 of 292 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 5827

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sorry
    Sorry nothing..I'd rather try it and remember I don't like than never experience it. It's all about the experience! Still drinking it btw.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Dunkelweis-CB&B Brewing Consortium (well, maybe that's a stretch-it's not quite as big as AB/Interbrew)-A home brew and a good one, too. Deep brown pour with a modest head. Slight hint of smokiness at first sniff and then smooth malt in the nose and taste. Maybe a bit of milk chocolate and dark caramel sweetness. Slightly cloudy as would expect a wheat beer to be with very slight sourness. Not sure whether that comes from the wheat or the fact that CB&B almost lost this brew but added some sugar after it was bottled to try and salvage the product. It worked. ABV was 6% by the Morehead City hygrometer. I think I had this with the brisket and it was a nice match. I have 2 bottles left from our trades and one is for next month and the other is for Lexington Lavabe.

  3. #1443
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bison Chocolate Stout

    By way of a DevilDeac trade, this one gets 4 stars. Enjoyed it last nite at while watching the game with DukePA and her guy. (who DPA gifted with a nice brewing kit, but he has yet to use). They each tasted it as well, all of us had a unanimous reaction. The smell beats you to the taste, even when not sniffing intentionally. We all were caught off guard, having to pull back for an intentional sniff. The taste itself was great, I slowly sipped away for the second half. Very nice dark color and body, a brew I will be seeking in the future, maybe for the holidays upcoming. High recommendation from the DBR beach tasters.

  4. #1444
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bottled my IPA last night, and of course tasted the last of the bucket that had no room in a bottle. This one is going to be a very good beer. Even totally flat, it has a nice body, especially for a pale ale. Being an IPA, the hops are prevalant, but surprisingly more than I expected. I had noted earlier that if it were a recipe of my own design I would have gone an ounce heavier on the hops, but now I'm not so sure. ABV will clock in at 6.9%, I'll give the first bottle a taste in a few days and expect full drinking readiness in a week. It's going to be hard to cellar 12 of these for the final BG, but I promise I will.

  5. #1445
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

    Going to a tasting tomorrow night

    Our local specialty wine and beer store is having a tasting tomorrow, brews only. This will be the first one I've been to. As a bonus they have a brewmaster coming from Duck Rabbit. Time to do some note taking! Here's a blurb about what I should expect..

    "Finally don’t forget the tasting coming up on Wednesday, November 12. We’ll be sampling the beers from Duck Rabbit, including several of their seasonal specialties. Matt Dick, one of the Duck Rabbit brewers, will be there to describe each beer, and answer any questions that you might have. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the brewing process and expand your beer knowledge."

    Pretty cool. Hopefully I'll run into some other home brewers that I can do some trading and recipe swapping with.

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking Schlafly Christmas Ale

    Red/orange/amber ale. Interesting opening taste, loaded with cloves and sourness. The bitterness never appears too strong. The taste ends crisp. The aftertaste has very little clove-like taste.

    An average brew:

    Ymm, Beer:

    Not the best, but an above average Christmas Aole.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO.

    Jackpot and a Warning

    First the warning: if, by chance, you see Left Hand Brewing Company's Snowbound Winter Ale, avoid at all cost. This beer is way over spiced and tastes entirely too much of ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. It was not at all enjoyable. Lacked any actual beer taste.

    Now for the jackpot: After months of checking and being disappointed, tonight I found a 4-pack of Dog Fish Head Palo Santo Marron. I'll probably have one and the stick the other three in the back of the fridge for a while. They also had Midas Touch from Dog Fish Head so, naturally, I had to pick up a 4-pack of it (devildeac--will this one keep for any period of time?). Oh yeah, they also had Avery's winter ale, Old Jubilation, so I picked up six of those. A very productive trip to the liquor store.

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO.
    I couldn't resist the beer in the fridge so I sampled some of the Palo Santo Marron (corked bottle waiting for tomorrow) and had a bottle of the Midas Touch.

    Pale Santo Marron: Such a great beer. I had sampled this at GABF this year, but the sample didn't do it justice. Tonight I poured half a bottle, which was enough to allow me to taste it at cellar temp and room temp, and everything in between. On the nose heavy notes of alcohol, brown sugar and dark fruit (especially cherries). The flavor starts with a rich, buttery vanilla (undoubtedly from the wood) and then fades into notes of coffee, chocolate, and caramel. For those who have tried and enjoyed this, I would recommend Avery's Samael's Ale (oak aged english strong ale) and Oak Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide. Neither are the same style as PSM, but the flavors are very similar.

    Midas Touch: Bizarre beer. Poured a full bottle and, at first, was turned off a little bit. It didn't taste like a beer that would be enjoyable after it warmed, but at 9% ABV, it needs to be sipped. But, to my great surprise, the beer not only tastes great as it warms, it tastes better. The nose offers hints of hops (although it's IBUs are only 20) but really hones in on honey and butter. The flavor is dominated by notes of grape and the richness from the nose. As it warmed it reminded me more and more of a White Burgundy and the DFH website confirms that it would appeal to chardonnay drinkers. This would be a good summer beer to plan a meal around.

  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Bottled my IPA last night, and of course tasted the last of the bucket that had no room in a bottle. This one is going to be a very good beer. Even totally flat, it has a nice body, especially for a pale ale. Being an IPA, the hops are prevalant, but surprisingly more than I expected. I had noted earlier that if it were a recipe of my own design I would have gone an ounce heavier on the hops, but now I'm not so sure. ABV will clock in at 6.9%, I'll give the first bottle a taste in a few days and expect full drinking readiness in a week. It's going to be hard to cellar 12 of these for the final BG, but I promise I will.
    What kind of barleywines or stouts will it take to guarantee the safe arrival of several of these for the final tailgate?

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Our local specialty wine and beer store is having a tasting tomorrow, brews only. This will be the first one I've been to. As a bonus they have a brewmaster coming from Duck Rabbit. Time to do some note taking! Here's a blurb about what I should expect..

    "Finally don’t forget the tasting coming up on Wednesday, November 12. We’ll be sampling the beers from Duck Rabbit, including several of their seasonal specialties. Matt Dick, one of the Duck Rabbit brewers, will be there to describe each beer, and answer any questions that you might have. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the brewing process and expand your beer knowledge."

    Pretty cool. Hopefully I'll run into some other home brewers that I can do some trading and recipe swapping with.

    If you get to read this before the Q&A, ask them if they have any special additives/ingredients in their Rabid Duck or their Baltic Porter brews. Thanks.

  11. #1451
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you get to read this before the Q&A, ask them if they have any special additives/ingredients in their Rabid Duck or their Baltic Porter brews. Thanks.
    Anything in particular you think is in there?

  12. #1452
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    First the warning: if, by chance, you see Left Hand Brewing Company's Snowbound Winter Ale, avoid at all cost. This beer is way over spiced and tastes entirely too much of ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. It was not at all enjoyable. Lacked any actual beer taste.

    Now for the jackpot: After months of checking and being disappointed, tonight I found a 4-pack of Dog Fish Head Palo Santo Marron. I'll probably have one and the stick the other three in the back of the fridge for a while. They also had Midas Touch from Dog Fish Head so, naturally, I had to pick up a 4-pack of it (devildeac--will this one keep for any period of time?). Oh yeah, they also had Avery's winter ale, Old Jubilation, so I picked up six of those. A very productive trip to the liquor store.
    Not sure whether the Midas Touch is bottle conditioned or not so I'd count on 3-4 month shelf life at best.

  13. #1453
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I couldn't resist the beer in the fridge so I sampled some of the Palo Santo Marron (corked bottle waiting for tomorrow) and had a bottle of the Midas Touch.

    Pale Santo Marron: Such a great beer. I had sampled this at GABF this year, but the sample didn't do it justice. Tonight I poured half a bottle, which was enough to allow me to taste it at cellar temp and room temp, and everything in between. On the nose heavy notes of alcohol, brown sugar and dark fruit (especially cherries). The flavor starts with a rich, buttery vanilla (undoubtedly from the wood) and then fades into notes of coffee, chocolate, and caramel. For those who have tried and enjoyed this, I would recommend Avery's Samael's Ale (oak aged english strong ale) and Oak Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide. Neither are the same style as PSM, but the flavors are very similar.

    Midas Touch: Bizarre beer. Poured a full bottle and, at first, was turned off a little bit. It didn't taste like a beer that would be enjoyable after it warmed, but at 9% ABV, it needs to be sipped. But, to my great surprise, the beer not only tastes great as it warms, it tastes better. The nose offers hints of hops (although it's IBUs are only 20) but really hones in on honey and butter. The flavor is dominated by notes of grape and the richness from the nose. As it warmed it reminded me more and more of a White Burgundy and the DFH website confirms that it would appeal to chardonnay drinkers. This would be a good summer beer to plan a meal around.
    Thought you'd like the PSM. Now that you found it, the 4 pack I was saving for you will disappear over the holidays.

    Midas Touch-It's almost like a mead with the grapes and additives and other flavors. Tough to call it a beer, but it's tough to call the 120 Minute IPA, World Wide Stout and some of the other 15%+ brews as beers, also.

  14. #1454
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Midas Touch-It's almost like a mead with the grapes and additives and other flavors. Tough to call it a beer, but it's tough to call the 120 Minute IPA, World Wide Stout and some of the other 15%+ brews as beers, also.
    That was one of the beer's profiled on the History channel's history of beer show, since it's a historical recreation of what they believe King Midas would have been drinking. Their recipe is based on grains and artifacts found in tombs I believe. Never tried it, but it's pretty cool they do it. Like Jurassic Park Brewery, just a few million years more recent.

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    bankers box-got it-thanks-will share with folks on the 29th-9F

  16. #1456
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    bankers box-got it-thanks-will share with folks on the 29th-9F
    You're most welcome. TNT, CBaB, Tilly, Cathy, DukePA and the bunch should enjoy a few of them. If allenmurray shows up, he might as well!

    Hopefully someone will like that Cherry Stout.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  17. #1457
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You're most welcome. TNT, CBaB, Tilly, Cathy, DukePA and the bunch should enjoy a few of them. If allenmurray shows up, he might as well!

    Hopefully someone will like that Cherry Stout.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

    Don't worry, we'll find good uses for them.

  18. #1458
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just got back from the beer tasting, it was Duck Rabbit only and really fun. I'll post notes tomorrow, but it was great being able to listen to one of the brewmasters talk about each beer we tried. Pretty cool way to cap off a birthday, he even sang to me..lol. Gonna go watch movie with family and drink one of the 6 beers-I've-never-tried that I came home with.

  19. #1459
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Emerald Isle, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You're most welcome. TNT, CBaB, Tilly, Cathy, DukePA and the bunch should enjoy a few of them. If allenmurray shows up, he might as well!

    Hopefully someone will like that Cherry Stout.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Ymmmm. I'm looking forward to trying the Cherry Stout

  20. #1460
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    Ymmmm. I'm looking forward to trying the Cherry Stout
    All I can say is, you may like it. devildeac's description is accurate, but I am just not into chocolate-cherry-beer. The fruit flavor is too strong for my tastes.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Similar Threads

  1. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
  2. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •