Page 53 of 295 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 5897

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #1041
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    We could wake up, I'll fix eggs and we can watch Fight Club, and then we go to Beer Fest. It would be perfect.
    Throw in a Sweetwater or 3, a trip to the Brickhouse (is that the correct name of the predominantly Belgian pub near Emory?) and I'd bet you can get him to make the journey.

  2. #1042
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Throw in a Sweetwater or 3, a trip to the Brickhouse (is that the correct name of the predominantly Belgian pub near Emory?) and I'd bet you can get him to make the journey.
    It's the Brick Store, and it's inside the cordoned-off perimeter of Beer Fest. As for Sweetwater, they'll have a giant truck there. Lav, what time are you getting in on the 17th?

  3. #1043
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Decatur Beer Festival is Oct. 18. Atlanta Mafia, we clearly must rally to this occasion.
    It's also Duke Homecoming, and Duke vs. Miami. Clearly, plenty of reasons to get a group of Dukies together to imbibe and celebrate.

  4. #1044
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Thumbs down Rule #1: You DO NOT talk about weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Think you can con, err, talk Lavabe into making the jaunt from Kentucky for the occasion?
    And the divorce papers would be filed soon thereafter, as ILoveJimmy's best friend from high school is getting married that day ... and NO, they're not moving the wedding to Decatur.

    AAARRRRRRGGGH!!!

  5. #1045
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Red face I better check my schedule on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds like:

    1. We have a place for a beverage and snack after we arrive next Friday or on Saturday.
    2. I need to buy a 6er of this if it available at Harris Teeter, next to the lager.
    You can purchase other fine Kona products at the nearby Liquor World.

    Umm... NEXT Friday or Saturday? I believe it's not, as ILoveJimmy and I will be out of town. I have a professional meeting to attend next Friday/Saturday. IIRC, ILoveJimmy is attending a family function in NC next Saturday.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  6. #1046
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Response to Wilson's post in the Fight Club thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Might be a while, but I had some the other night. It's an ESB, "Motor Boat." It's only new in that it's this fall's entry in the "Catch and Release" (seasonal) series. It is quite good though...I suppose I should post about it in "Ymm, beer."
    "Motor Boat" looks good, but expect soon the Barley Wine called "Donkey Punch" (third on their list of CNR's). 10%ABV and 90 IBUs!!

    Agreed that the Exodus Porter was great, but give them credit for developing their Imperial Stout, "Happy Ending."

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  7. #1047
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Agreed that the Exodus Porter was great, but give them credit for developing their Imperial Stout, "Happy Ending."

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Actually, I don't. There are numerous better stouts out there than Happy Ending, which doesn't finish smoothly enough for me.
    On the other hand, porter is really my favorite style of beer, and Exodus was one of my two favorite examples (Anchor being the other). Every time I go to the Sweetwater tasting, I bug whomever will listen about bringing Exodus back.

  8. #1048
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile Exodus is good, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Actually, I don't. There are numerous better stouts out there than Happy Ending, which doesn't finish smoothly enough for me.
    On the other hand, porter is really my favorite style of beer, and Exodus was one of my two favorite examples (Anchor being the other). Every time I go to the Sweetwater tasting, I bug whomever will listen about bringing Exodus back.
    Get on their email list. They really do give good alerts about events and such.

    Porter favorites: Anchorage's Glacier Brewhouse Beam Porter (aged in Jim Beam casks, w/hints of vanilla and coconut; chocolate malt; WOW), Breckenridge vanilla porter (thanks devildeac), Alaskan Smoked porter, Bridgeport Porter. All four rate:

    Yep... four emoticons!

    Of these, the Glacier product is my favorite.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 09-05-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: four, not three

  9. #1049
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    It's also Duke Homecoming, and Duke vs. Miami. Clearly, plenty of reasons to get a group of Dukies together to imbibe and celebrate.
    Unfortunately, DA, that beer festival is in Georgia. We have a wedding at about 5 PM in Raleigh that night so we will only be at about 1/2 the homecoming game. We could have a specialty brew at about noon however at one of the tailgates which hopefully are becoming a time/place for some DBR folks to gather/meet prior to the games.

  10. #1050
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You can purchase other fine Kona products at the nearby Liquor World.

    Umm... NEXT Friday or Saturday? I believe it's not, as ILoveJimmy and I will be out of town. I have a professional meeting to attend next Friday/Saturday. IIRC, ILoveJimmy is attending a family function in NC next Saturday.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Wrong weekend. She must be attending the same family function that we'll be attending. I meant 9/19-9/21.

  11. #1051
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Get on their email list. They really do give good alerts about events and such.

    Porter favorites: Anchorage's Glacier Brewhouse Beam Porter (aged in Jim Beam casks, w/hints of vanilla and coconut; chocolate malt; WOW), Breckenridge vanilla porter (thanks devildeac), Alaskan Smoked porter, Bridgeport Porter. All four rate:

    Yep... four emoticons!

    Of these, the Glacier product is my favorite.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Hmmm, Alaskan Smoked Porter. That sounds (and tastes) vaguely familiar...

  12. #1052
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile Possible game to attend; may need tix for the tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Unfortunately, DA, that beer festival is in Georgia. We have a wedding at about 5 PM in Raleigh that night so we will only be at about 1/2 the homecoming game. We could have a specialty brew at about noon however at one of the tailgates which hopefully are becoming a time/place for some DBR folks to gather/meet prior to the games.
    Hey hey ... is that the time/date of the wedding that the Lavabes also have to attend in Raleigh?

    I'll find out details from ILoveJimmy. Hopefully, we'll have time to attend at least some of the tailgate/football game.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  13. #1053
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Hey hey ... is that the time/date of the wedding that the Lavabes also have to attend in Raleigh?

    I'll find out details from ILoveJimmy. Hopefully, we'll have time to attend at least some of the tailgate/football game.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Homecoming is 10/18 and game time is TBA AFAIK. I suspect the FB game will start about 1PM or 2 PM. They usually started the FB game as early as possible to allow for much more "down time" between it and the B/W game. We do have a new AD and FB coach now so scheduling may be a bit more rational. The B/W game will probably start about 7 PM.

    I doubt you know the bride/groom of the wedding we will attend in Raleigh that day at about 5 PM. We know them from church/youth group.

  14. #1054
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer, tailgate, homecoming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Hey hey ... is that the time/date of the wedding that the Lavabes also have to attend in Raleigh?

    I'll find out details from ILoveJimmy. Hopefully, we'll have time to attend at least some of the tailgate/football game.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Talk to us about FB tix for that day. We should be able to procure 2-4 more for the game.

  15. #1055
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  16. #1056
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Think you can get them to start distribution to NC?

  17. #1057
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Saving up for your visit here. Just did get some Aprihop, Punk, and Nosferatu.

    And the new tavern has a classic African brew, TUSKER.

    Considering these developments, an upcoming visit here, a possible visit by me on Oct. 18 ... you should have no trouble catching Billybreen.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Just had to "lift" this and put it on the "ymm, beer" thread to keep pace with the "whatever" thread.

    OOH, Aprihop. Save one for me.

    Which Punk-Schlafly or Dogfish?

    Nosferatu? Never had it. Save one of those, too.

    TUSKER. Is that a Fleetwood Mac beer?

    I would need several weekends at the beach, a FB AND a BB game, the right alignment of the stars and planets and lots of set ups by you and Ymo for that to happen. Of course, EJ would have to keep 'breen locked up in his basement for a month or 3 also.

  18. #1058
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile Waiting for this year's Great Schlafly Pumpkin

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Just had to "lift" this and put it on the "ymm, beer" thread to keep pace with the "whatever" thread.

    OOH, Aprihop. Save one for me.

    Which Punk-Schlafly or Dogfish?

    Nosferatu? Never had it. Save one of those, too.

    TUSKER. Is that a Fleetwood Mac beer?

    I would need several weekends at the beach, a FB AND a BB game, the right alignment of the stars and planets and lots of set ups by you and Ymo for that to happen. Of course, EJ would have to keep 'breen locked up in his basement for a month or 3 also.
    Expect a few not-yet-reviewed ones (and a couple of reviewed ones) to arrive by ILoveJimmy express.

    I believe I found a great beer float selection.

    Wish I were there for the DBR tailgate. ILoveJimmy will have to send a report.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  19. #1059
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    ymm, beer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Expect a few not-yet-reviewed ones (and a couple of reviewed ones) to arrive by ILoveJimmy express.

    I believe I found a great beer float selection.

    Wish I were there for the DBR tailgate. ILoveJimmy will have to send a report.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    1. You're a saint
    2. Beer float-will you actually drink one?
    3. I suspect we will have some more DBR tailgates as the season progresses. I think this Saturday it will be at 10AM and will be a breakfast event with either TNTDevil preparing a feast and the remainder of us bringing $$ or our favorite AM food (Ozzie's already got his bud light purchased for the season. The A-B 18 wheeler arrived at his garage last weekend prior to the JMU game). Various members will post their thoughts on the pre-game activities and menu. More post-padding, you know.

  20. #1060
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Thread hijack, well sort of, it does have to do with beer.

    I'm editing one of my plays. (For those of you familiar with some of my efforts it's the eHarmony date Duke/Carolina tragedy.) Anyway, the guy buys them both a beer. She says - "It's kind of the perfect beer to buy for someone you've just met, isn't it? It doesn't scream 'I'm too cheap' but it doesn't say 'I'm a beer snob' either."

    OK, so my question for those of you here, beer snobs or not, what kind of beer is it? Remember, they're just in some random sports bar, so please be realistic.

    Don't worry, the immortal line "I think Coach K is sexy" stays.

Similar Threads

  1. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
  2. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •