Page 104 of 297 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 5935

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #2061
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Any tips for the best way to store unfinished bombers or 750mls? Just cork them in stick them in the fridge? With a new baby, I've been shying away from buying many big beers but my local source has so many good options right now..
    Cork and fridge. They should last another day or two. If the beer is flat when you pour it, you know it didn't survive.

  2. #2062
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Any tips for the best way to store unfinished bombers or 750mls? Just cork them in stick them in the fridge? With a new baby, I've been shying away from buying many big beers but my local source has so many good options right now..
    Agree with RMD in his post, too. Use an old wine cork or invest in a vacuum wine sealer, which I have not done yet. I always plan to finish the bottle the next night. They don't have as much head but are generally OK the next night.

  3. #2063
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I finally made it to our Total Wine store for a bunch of interesting beer. The first was a bomber of Olde GnarlyWine from Lagunitas Brewing. My girlfriend and I sipped it over an hour or so starting at refrigerator temperature trying to identify all the flavors. Cold, it has an amazing combination of tastes including sweet malt, fruits (orange and raisins), citrus, floral, and a fairly bitter hop finish. Once it warmed up a little, you get an almost overwhelming bready/cookie dough impression with no floral, citrus or bitterness. A very interesting brew.
    I'll have to look for this one.

  4. #2064
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    I also posted a link in #2058 to a Valentine's/beer/chocolate article from The Independent written by Julie Johnson who I believe is editor for All About Beer magazine and has been for several years. Hopefully it gives some credibility to my "outrageous" claims that dark brews make nice dessert beverages, either by themselves, or with some traditional desserts.

  5. #2065
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    Falcon Beer ( hint, he more falcon heads on the beer, the stronger it is,, 1 min, 4 max. ) Swedish.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2VUCdbhg0

    My personal fav,, St Pauli Girl , ya never forget your first girl

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF5dCtzR-vw

  6. #2066
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm glad you and DD enjoyed the Duvel. It was a bit bitter for my taste.

    I loved the beer float! I would think that a Mic Dark would also work well for this.
    Alert the media!

    Not only did Ozzie enjoy the 4 ounce sample beer float I made for him (thinking he was humoring me all along), he politely asked for another and I obliged. Miracles never cease.

    I think a couple other variations might be an oatmeal stout or chocolate stout (actually brewed with chocolate), both of which would be lower ABV than the BBCS. Or, using a chocolate or coffee ice cream for the "float." See my link to the Independent for some other thoughts about beer, chocolate and dessert.

  7. #2067
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    During our after-Miami-game adventures at DevilDeac's house, Ozzie gifted us with a large bottle of Duvel. One of the companies he does business with had passed out bottles of French wine to everyone, but they had a heads up that he preferred the better alcoholic beverage and gave him the bottle which he graciously shared with us. It is a top notch Belgian ale, comparable in quality only to Chimay. From what I remember it had a nice soft head with great retention, properly bottled with cork and not a cap. A very light golden color, a little bitter, and so slightly fruity. Up there in the alcohol content too.
    Right now I'm enjoying one of my favorite ales of all time, Ommegang's Abbey Ale. I've reviewed it here before. I've just noticed on the side of the label it says "Part of the Duvel family of fine ales". On each brewer's site, ommegang.com and duvelusa.com, there is no mention of the other. I haven't found the tie noted in Google searches either. Anyone know how the two are related?
    I also enjoyed sharing the Duvel that Ozzie brought to the dessert gathering.

    Duvel is probably the Belgian golden ale by which all others are judged, in addition to the Chimay series. This one is slightly cloudy (probably some wheat malt) and pours with the classic "Belgian lace" (or fizz as I believe DA likes to say) which coats the glass (ideally a goblet) as you sip your way through the brew. A bit of orange peel and coriander greet your taste buds throughout the beverage. A hint of black pepper spiciness is present, too. I would serve it lighly chilled with a soft cheese or hard fruits like apples or pears. Don't drink too many of these either as they are 9% ABV. They are also about $4.50 for a 33 cl bottle. Duke fans really should like this ale, as, after all, do you know what Duvel means?

  8. #2068
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    The Yard House in San Diego serves a beer float--Chocolate Stout with vanilla ice cream--I believe around 6 or 7 bucks--I did not try it--did not want to waste a beer--after dinner we went to Giardelli's and had a malt.

  9. #2069
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    The Yard House in San Diego serves a beer float--Chocolate Stout with vanilla ice cream--I believe around 6 or 7 bucks--I did not try it--did not want to waste a beer--after dinner we went to Giardelli's and had a malt.
    I'm not sure I'd do it at a restaurant either. But seriously, take 1 bottle out of your 6 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout/Bison Chocolate Stout/Ft. Collins Chocolate Stout and pour 6 ounces into a pint glass and add a scoop of Breyer's/Edy's Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream and sip on it/dip it with a spoon for 30 minutes or so. That way, you potentially only waste 1/2 a beer and a single scoop of good ice cream. Watch for the beer to foam a bit excessively after the ice cream is added. I never thought I'd be advocating this.

  10. #2070
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Alert the media!

    Not only did Ozzie enjoy the 4 ounce sample beer float I made for him (thinking he was humoring me all along), he politely asked for another and I obliged. Miracles never cease.
    I like most things that are fattening
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  11. #2071
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm not sure I'd do it at a restaurant either. But seriously, take 1 bottle out of your 6 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout/Bison Chocolate Stout/Ft. Collins Chocolate Stout and pour 6 ounces into a pint glass and add a scoop of Breyer's/Edy's Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream and sip on it/dip it with a spoon for 30 minutes or so. That way, you potentially only waste 1/2 a beer and a single scoop of good ice cream. Watch for the beer to foam a bit excessively after the ice cream is added. I never thought I'd be advocating this.
    The key phrase here is "only waste". Just joking--I am almost ready to try this concoction that seems like I am making "potentially" poor use of two good products.

  12. #2072
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    OK--my lovely wife sent me after grocery items. I took a wrong turn in the store and ended up in the beer aisle. I know, she didn't believe me either. I bought Ft. Collins Chocolate Stout. My next wrong turn sent me along,you guessed it, the ice cream freezers. I'll try it tonight or soon and report back

  13. #2073
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    OK--my lovely wife sent me after grocery items. I took a wrong turn in the store and ended up in the beer aisle. I know, she didn't believe me either. I bought Ft. Collins Chocolate Stout. My next wrong turn sent me along,you guessed it, the ice cream freezers. I'll try it tonight or soon and report back
    Awaiting your review to see if you become one of the converts along with Tilly, Ozzie, cl15876, among thousands (well, maybe a handful)) of others...

  14. #2074
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Harris Teeter has opened 2 blocks away from my office today. First (and only) stop on the way home will be to check out their beer aisle. I hear they have Chimay, and eagerly await to see what else they carry. I also get to try my "Original Recipe" (but not very originally named" ale tonight while watching the game. I had one Monday night after 4 days in the bottle (and 3 weeks in the fermenter) and it was surprisingly ready to drink. It was also way tasty. Good things happen at the right time for reasons, so I sense continued good things after 9PM tontight.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  15. #2075
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Aaaaaaaaaaah...
    How nice, HT had all three Chimays, Ommegang Abbey and Three Philosphers, plus a couple others that looked good. Since it's been awhile that I've enjoyed a Three, and in honor of the team having luck with them tonight, that's what I picked up. (Wish I had goblets, but I've got a nice pint sized pilsner glass that will work well). They had a great selection, and I was torn on what 6 pack to get. I chose Saranac's seasonal Irish Red Ale, and now wish I hadn't. It's ok, but stacked up against it, my homebrew red was much better. I guess that's good for me, but when I buy beer I want to drink something to strive for in matching quality and taste. Anyways...I win.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  16. #2076
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dumfries, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Alert the media!

    Not only did Ozzie enjoy the 4 ounce sample beer float I made for him (thinking he was humoring me all along), he politely asked for another and I obliged. Miracles never cease....

    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I like most things that are fattening
    DD - I have to concur with Ozzie, that was the first time I've ever had a beer float and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was delicious!
    Last edited by cl15876; 02-11-2009 at 06:03 PM.

  17. #2077
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dumfries, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaah...
    How nice, HT had all three Chimays, Ommegang Abbey and Three Philosphers, plus a couple others that looked good. Since it's been awhile that I've enjoyed a Three, and in honor of the team having luck with them tonight, that's what I picked up. (Wish I had goblets, but I've got a nice pint sized pilsner glass that will work well). They had a great selection, and I was torn on what 6 pack to get. I chose Saranac's seasonal Irish Red Ale, and now wish I hadn't. It's ok, but stacked up against it, my homebrew red was much better. I guess that's good for me, but when I buy beer I want to drink something to strive for in matching quality and taste. Anyways...I win.
    CB&B - I think they're DD's (aka Twinkle Toes') favorite! I haven't had the opportunity to taste, but told CathyCA we will pick some up and do some taste testing! I love various beer varieties and can't wait to taste these!

    Catch you on snrubchat if not before!

    LGD!!!

  18. #2078
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dumfries, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I like most things that are fattening
    That goes double for me!!!

  19. #2079
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Emerald Isle, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Awaiting your review to see if you become one of the converts along with Tilly, Ozzie, cl15876, among thousands (well, maybe a handful)) of others...
    Me too!! I loved the little beer float sample I tried. Ymmmm, beer floats

  20. #2080
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO.
    Um, what beer best helps soothe Psycho T never losing in Cameron

Similar Threads

  1. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
  2. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •